Tram Ride Through Sheffield 1902

Sheffield History

Sheffield tram ride 1902

Apparently filmed from just behind the driver, this evocative tour takes in the London Road, the Moor, Pond's Forge, Haymarket and Fargate: a three-mile journey.

In these early days of electric trams (note the poles holding the wires) people happily hop on board while they're moving, with the agility of Buster Keaton. Ninety years later, Sheffield would pioneer the return of urban tram systems.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/player/VqNTB2Zjrr8_u6CRqaQxnnjouEjrlNTW

Sheffield tram ride 1902

Apparently filmed from just behind the driver, this evocative tour takes in the London Road, the Moor, Pond's Forge, Haymarket and Fargate: a three-mile journey.

Pond's Forge ?

I don't think so!

Pond's Forge ?

I don't think so!

I do !

George Senior's "Ponds Forge" was there before the original trams began to run.

HD

I do !

George Senior's "Ponds Forge" was there before the original trams began to run.

HD

I don't see Ponds Forge in the video

Ponds Forge was down on Sheaf Street, the tram turns left from Commercial Street into Haymarket, so doesn't go anywhere near it.

Nigel L

Ponds Forge was down on Sheaf Street, the tram turns left from Commercial Street into Haymarket, so doesn't go anywhere near it.

Nigel L

Neither is/was it three miles from the junction of Queens Road and London Road to the bottom of Haymarket, I calculate it as being under two miles on my map.

Sheffield tram ride 1902

There seems more people on the streets then nowadays. Perhaps that's down to the fact many more people drive cars. Don't the pedestrian take risks crossing in front of the trams!

There seems more people on the streets then nowadays. Perhaps that's down to the fact many more people drive cars. Don't the pedestrian take risks crossing in front of the trams!

Did you see the young man and a little later a young lady just hop on to

a moving tram [ no problem as long as you don't miss ] I've even done it

myself in the past.

It wouldn't be aloud today, elf un safety you know.

It used to happen with the Routemaster Buses in the past. In London, if they still have them, it probably still does.

Mind you I have seen people dashing in to the closing doors of Supertrams!

Also on that old film the many different styles of men's clothing. Lots of children around, so was it a weekend? Plus none of the buildings looked clean, is that the fumes or just the film?

It used to happen with the Routemaster Buses in the past. In London, if they still have them, it probably still does.

Mind you I have seen people dashing in to the closing doors of Supertrams!

Also on that old film the many different styles of men's clothing. Lots of children around, so was it a weekend? Plus none of the buildings looked clean, is that the fumes or just the film?

I'll put my hand up and be counted, I've only just made it through the closing of the tram doors occasionally.

The film isn't very clear or bright, I have the same film but it seems much clearer.

Also on that old film the many different styles of men's clothing. Lots of children around, so was it a weekend?

Few actual shoppers i.e. women with baskets, but lots of pedestrian traffic wearing best bib and tucker (just look how few flat caps compared to straw boaters and triilbys.) But bank on Haymarket so open so must have been a week day.

This video is doing my head in...being trying to watch it for a couple of weeks now and no matter what device I try to load it on, or which isp I'm linked to, it wont play.

This video is doing my head in...being trying to watch it for a couple of weeks now and no matter what device I try to load it on, or which isp I'm linked to, it wont play.

I can't understand why not . Doesn't it just play when you click on the link.?

It must be something at your own end, wish I could help.

Same here, I get a message saying it's not authorised for my location. That happens a lot with stuff broadcast in the UK. Vox even sent me a DVD, something he had downloaded and recorded himself and I still got the same message.

Shouldn't happen in Rotherham though!

Same here, I get a message saying it's not authorised for my location. That happens a lot with stuff broadcast in the UK. Vox even sent me a DVD, something he had downloaded and recorded himself and I still got the same message.

There's a way round both your problems. First search Google for the model of the DVD player you have, plus the words "change region code". If your lucky it should be possible to find this and change the region code to 2 to watch the video Vox sent you. You can change it back to your region afterwards.

To watch online material, you just need to search for an IP address changer called ProxFree. You change the IP (temporary) to one for London (or the country where the video is allowed) and you can see the restricted video.

Wow, thanks dude. (History dude) It all sounds very technical to me, I can see myself getting lost in cyber space.

I will try the IP address changer thing next time I want to view a restricted video. I already sent Vox's dvd back to my brother-in-law in Nottingham.

By the way, what does IP stand for?

Thanks to a member of the admin team, I am able to see the above video clip on an MP4 video file via Mediafire, for which I am very grateful.

Wow, thanks dude. (History dude) It all sounds very technical to me, I can see myself getting lost in cyber space.

I will try the IP address changer thing next time I want to view a restricted video. I already sent Vox's dvd back to my brother-in-law in Nottingham.

By the way, what does IP stand for?

Thanks to a member of the admin team, I am able to see the above video clip on an MP4 video file via Mediafire, for which I am very grateful.

The DVD thing isn't that technical. Generally it's just a combination of pressing certain keys on the remote and the region code menu pops up! It's just a question of which buttons to press, most websites call it "region hack". Nine out of ten DVD players have this inbuilt but hidden menu. Though some have the region code 0 meaning that they will play any disc. Region codes were only introduced to stop USA (region 1) discs being bought in areas where the film is still being shown at the movies. Since the USA discs are generally released after the film is pulled from the movies.

And the IP is technical, but here's wikki to explain it:

An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication.[1] An IP address serves two principal functions: host or network interface identification and location addressing. Its role has been characterized as follows: "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A route indicates how to get there."[2]

The designers of the Internet Protocol defined an IP address as a 32-bit number[1] and this system, known as Internet Protocol Version 4 (IPv4), is still in use today. However, due to the enormous growth of the Internet and the predicted depletion of available addresses, a new version of IP (IPv6), using 128 bits for the address, was developed in 1995.[3] IPv6 was standardized as RFC 2460 in 1998,[4] and its deployment has been ongoing since the mid-2000s.

IP addresses are binary numbers, but they are usually stored in text files and displayed in human-readable notations, such as 172.16.254.1 (for IPv4), and 2001:db8:0:1234:0:567:8:1 (for IPv6).

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) manages the IP address space allocations globally and delegates five regional Internet registries (RIRs) to allocate IP address blocks to local Internet registries (Internet service providers) and other entities.

Bumping this thread as it is well worth seeing if anyone hasn't already! If anyone has viewing problems it is also available on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxa2yVTGUjE .

Is this oldest film of Sheffield?

Is this the oldest film of Sheffield?

I don't think so. Surely this is the oldest!

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/queen-victoria-visits-sheffield

There are a few more Mitchell and Kenyon films of Sheffield from the same period. Search Sheffield on the BFI page.

I believe there's a film of Queen Victoria's visit to Sheffield, but as I remember, not the most gripping footage, though surprisingly good quality.

I believe there's a film of Queen Victoria's visit to Sheffield, but as I remember, not the most gripping footage, though surprisingly good quality.

I think saw119's link is the same as the film you describe - i had never seen it before, so thanks!