Forum Cafe And Bar Devonshire Green Original Use?

duckweed

I am looking for details of previous use of Forum Buildings. It looks like a works to me but can't find any information. What other old works have been turned into other things in the area. I know about Wharncliffe Fireclay Works and Aberdeen Court, but what others are there?

Backed onto Auckland Works.

c.1890

c.1903

Flash Earth

Devonshire Steet, (Kelly's 1925)

125 Kemp's Vulcanizing Co. Ltd. tyre factors.
127 Bramah Joseph R. & Co.sheet metal workers.
127 Turner Archibald, builder.
127a, Shaw Alfred Ernest, tobcnst.
129 Turner Arthur Louis, tailor.
131 Devonshire Billiard Hall; Samuel Stevenson, proprietor.
131-133 & 135 Freeman, Oakes & Co. Ltd. automobile enginrs.
.......... Eldon street ..........

Devonshire Steet, (White's 1901)

119 James Horace, ironmonger.
121 Mottram Wm. Hy.furn. broker.
123 Kirby Jude, whitesmith.
127 Crooks W. & Son, joiners
129 Shaw Walter Lewis, furn. broker.
131-133 Freeth Albt. carriage builder.
.......... Eldon street ..........
139 & 141 Oakley C.H. vict. (Reindeer)

Depending on the year you are interested in ...

Joseph R BRAMAH (& Co Sheet Metal Workers) Coppersmiths, Braziers & Tinplate Workers

might be a good start point.

What I'm looking at is the Industrial use of buildings before they were vacated and re used as shops and bars. Difficult often to find history of place. Even is listed the info only gives date and I am finding date English Heritage gives is often wrong. If they are not listed there is even less info. I'm trying to build up a picture of heritage buildings that are still in existence even if use has changed. There are a thousand listed structures but some of those structures are bits of walls and telephone boxes. There are Georgian pubs and works which are not listed. There are Art Deco buildings that should be listed. We don't actually have a comprehensive list of Sheffield's historic places and condition of buildings. Leeds is doing that at the moment with English Heritage. They have a lot fewer buildings so won't take them long. Could do with someone to collect details where EH says one thing and their research says different. For instance EH says Brown Cow across from Upper Chapel is late 18thc whereas Pevsner quotes advert which says it was newly built in 1745.

For instance EH says Brown Cow across from Upper Chapel is late 18thc whereas Pevsner quotes advert which says it was newly built in 1745.

Got your animals mixed up ....... lol

Sorry Brown Bear. My point remains. Seen a couple of pubs listed as Victorian but are actually Georgian. Red Lion Charles Street for instance would seem to have been in existence before 1837. Wonder how many others are wrongly classified. English Heritage refused to list Cowmouth farm because it said there was no early traces when Archaeologist friend says definite medieval structure inside. Most listed buildings have not had interiors inspected. Probably because if they found interior intact it would raise classification to 2* and protect the interior from being altered which would make it more expensive to maintain.

it used to be a garage in the 1920/30s, cant remember what makes . in the 1960s up to about 1987 it was a motor factors called mitchell and challand,after that it was briefly a double glazing firm, then it became the forum i think please check on sheffield forum, also picture sheffield for more info