Old Coal Mines At Gleadless

Guest steven85

Guest steven85

Hi, I'm interested to know if anyone knows any thing about the old mines that use to be at gleadless?

I had heard there was one, on gleadless common, near to where the old farm was? Which is now houses.

Any information is greatly appreciated :)

I have seen Newspaper Article in 1862 In it is says a Mr Ellinson own 4 freehold cottages on the Common side, Gleadless and that he had a coal mine on that property but the mine was on the boundary of a Mr. Ashkham. Mr. Askham was accused by Mr Ellinson of extracting coal from his land. The mining caused severe subsidence to a blacksmith's shop and two of the houses were insecure.

Guest steven85

I have seen Newspaper Article in 1862 In it is says a Mr Ellinson own 4 freehold cottages on the Common side, Gleadless and that he had a coal mine on that property but the mine was on the boundary of a Mr. Ashkham. Mr. Askham was accused by Mr Ellinson of extracting coal from his land. The mining caused severe subsidence to a blacksmith's shop and two of the houses were insecure.

Thank you, :) there are 4 derelict cottages near to where I live, wonder if they are them, very interesting.

It is mentioned in Pauline Shearstone's Gleadless from Village to Suburb page 121.

Thank you I will try and get a copy of this book, I have her latest 1 which is very good.