A Painful Lesson

Guest gpl777

Guest gpl777

Not so long ago I saw the Sportsman Inn (Walkley Bank Road) on Google Earth. It looked largely unchanged from the photos I have from around 1910 and I thought that one day I'd like to visit it to see where my g.g.grandfather pulled pints for his customers, where blind John entertained the regulars with his musical performances, where my grandmother stayed as a child .... I've just been back on Google Earth (to check some distances from where other ancestors lived in the locality) to find that it's gone! I hadn't realised it had closed let alone been re-developed.

Why oh why didn't I make the time and effort to visit while it was still there! I am genuinely heart-broken and I only have myself to blame.

That is a big problem in Sheffield and not just pubs. You can take for granted since its been around a 100 years it will go on, but economic changes have meant many places have got the chop. On the plus side the present economic climate will mean fewer developers (though there are still the Universities) who will want to knock things down. On the negative side good buildings are being left to rot.