G Hawksworth Shop - Dixon Road Hillsborough

CarlPeters

I walk past three abandoned shops every day and wonder what the story is?

The one in the middle is called G Hawksworth and looks like is shut about 30 years ago and still has items in the shop. Never been touched. The shop either side are similar.

Does anyone know why/what or when these shops were and why they were abandoned?

I can picture the three you mean without computers/internets ....

Granville Hawksworth, confectioner, 7 Dixon Road (Kelly's 1957, 68 and 71).

Remember it open on my way to school.

Number 5 used to be a woolen draper, Mrs D. Beard (1957)

Number 9 was E. C. Thompson, hardware dealer (1957-1971 Kelly's)

I walk past three abandoned shops every day and wonder what the story is?

The one in the middle is called G Hawksworth and looks like is shut about 30 years ago and still has items in the shop. Never been touched. The shop either side are similar.

Does anyone know why/what or when these shops were and why they were abandoned?

If I remember correctly Hawksworth's in the 1970's was run by an elderly lady and her middle-aged son. He had a sideline doing paintings on silk and velvet, mostly heraldic shields and the like, to order.

Many times people have said (myself included) "that's not my area of town" ... this one is spot on "my end of town", passed the place mentioned at least twice a day for over ten years on the way to school, Parkside then Chaucer, also football at Hillsborough, work at Batchelors, Parkes Restaurant ....

Before I left Sheffield in 1962 I used to pass these shops every Saturday evening on the way to the Hillsborough Kinema. As I remember Hawksworth's was

a sweetshop and I think tobacconists as well. I remember going to junior school with one of the Hawksworth family but cannot for the life of me remember his name. The photograph is particularly interesting as pre-1962 all the buildings right down to Wynyard Road were shops, including the one which now has a front garden! One of them was Hunt's bakery, and I went to junior school with one of the daughters, Marsha. That was before 1954 when I went to Firth Park Grammar School. I am pretty sure there was a haberdashery shop amongst them too. Sadly it is so long ago that my memories in that respect are a little hazy.

Interesting stuff, so they have literally sat there since the 70s?

I wonder why?

Shall I knock on the door and ask?!

That may be the only way to possibly get an answer.

Interesting stuff, so they have literally sat there since the 70s?

I wonder why?

Shall I knock on the door and ask?!

Just been looking at the photo of shops on the other side of the road is a furniture van HS furniture , would that be Harry Slacks of Middlewood rd. We used to hire the van to take us 228th scouts camping, I also went to school with the son Stuart at Parkside rd .1946-1957 keep the campfires burning.

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/File%3A'Big'%20Houses%20on%20Middlewood%20Road,%20Hillsborough,%20Sheffield%20-%20geograph.org.uk%20-%201184598.jpg/-/en

"The nearest house is now "home" to an Acupuncture Clinic and a Dental Practice"

it's been a Dental Practice since at least 1967; we lived upstairs for six months in that year after a house purchase fell through.

Some very interesting memories for me here. I too remember going to Hillsborough Baths when I was at Firth Park Grammar and Mr. Siviour taught me to swim particularly by giving me the confidence to do so. Perhaps I was lucky as I knew him quite well because we lived in Vainor Road and he lived in Milden Road just round the corner. His son Brian and daughter Janice were playmates of mine. I did so much enjoy those swimming sessions at Hillsborough Baths.

I can remember that number 3 Dixon Road was a bakery, I remember my Nanan lived on Wynyard Road and she used to send me down to the Bakers ( just can't bring the name to mind, it could have been Dixons) for a large well done uncut white loaf and a Sally Lunn. By the time I had walked back up Wynyard I had eaten the crust off one side of the loaf and half the burnt crust off the top. She never once reprimanded me and still sent me every Saturday afternoon. I remember Hawksworths really well they made their own ice lollies which were wonderful. This would be late 50's early 60's. Trying desperately to remember what shop was on the corner or at number 5. I remember Slacks on Middlewood Road and the newsagents. My uncle used to send me down there every Saturday tea time to buy him a green un. Happy days