Pc John Foster

Guest Lakin

From what i have been told this man had a lot of runnings with the mone brothers of sheffield.

I could not get them out of the frame to scan them without damaging the frame so a photo is all i got.

Guest boxhead

Wow. Great post. My GGF was Constable John William Foster and worked from 1880 to early 1900s. Wonder if it could be the same? I don't know the date of death of my GGF but need to find out! Thanks.

It was a family member of pc john foster that showed me this. They did tell me lots more information but i have forgotten what they said. I will go & see them to fill in the blanks. They had some very old foster family photos & news paper cuttings i believe.

In the 1920's Sheffield was rife with gang warfare...sufficient for it to be known as "Britain's Little Chicago". Knifings, shootings and razor slashings were commonplace and the Mooney's were a leading gang family. Captain Sillitoe, later to become Head of MI5, was brought in to break the gangs and it was said that he recruited a bunch of tough, hard men, as Constables, to do this...by violence if necessary. It took a couple of hangings and a lot of hard police work to defeat the gangs.

All of this is reminiscent of the current TV dramatisation of similar events in Birmingham...Pikey Blinders.