White Houses Bramall Lane

Guest Leipzig

Guest Leipzig

Looking for historical information please regarding the White Houses, which were situated at the corner of Bramall Lane and Cherry Street. I think I read somewhere that the buildings originally took their name from the fact that they were situated on 'White Lane', which I think was the original name for Bramall Lane.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05913

Looking for historical information please regarding the White Houses, which were situated at the corner of Bramall Lane and Cherry Street. I think I read somewhere that the buildings originally took their name from the fact that they were situated on 'White Lane', which I think was the original name for Bramall Lane.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05913&pos=1&action=zoom&id=9263

Originally White House Lane, there were two other White House Lanes. The one in the picture was renamed after Daniel Brammall (note the original spelling), he lived in the house and owned a file factory close by.

Hope it helps ...

Daniel Brammall, File grinder Upper Lester Wheel (Baine's 1822)

always assuming that is "The Man"

Daniel Brammall, File grinder Upper Lester Wheel (Baine's 1822)

always assuming that is "The Man"

More of a hint towards "who was the man that gave his name (incorrectly spelled) to the Street that is The Lane that used to be White House Lane that has these White Houses on it at some undetermined point in the past ?"

which is quite some question he he

Resident, as of July 1865, George Kinder, White House, Brammall Lane. (Double M is intended, not a deliferoot speeling mistook)

The White Houses seem to have been one of Sheffield's ancient homesteads, it is mentioned in a marriage entry for 1657 but is surely much older. As well as the farmhouse there was a row of cottages. The Bramall family transformed the old house into a gentleman's residence but the cottages continued to be let. One occupant of a cottage and workshop there was Herbert Hodkin, a plasterer, who with his business partner founded the the firm of Hodkin and Jones at Havelock Bridge.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05913

Hi, One can see the Ebernezer Chapel on this photo which has been on one of Steves posts

Guest plain talker

Resident, as of July 1865, George Kinder, White House, Brammall Lane. (Double M is intended, not a deliferoot speeling mistook)

Eye howp yew ore nut Misticken abowt thit? ;-)

Hi, One can see the Ebernezer Chapel on this photo which has been on one of Steves posts

If that is the Ebeneezer chapel in the background there is something wrong somewhere. It was on the opposite side of Brammal lane to the Whitehouses :confused:

And I believe the family name was originally Bramhall but Sheffielders never had much truck with aitches he he

The tall building with the fancy roof-line that can be seen in the background of the Whitehouses picture was probably a skating rink.

In the 1910 directory it is listed as the property of Sheffield and Olympia Rinks Ltd., Shoreham street and Bramall lane.

By 1917 the site was listed as Lockwood & Co., Engineers.

It looks as though the Whiteshouses site was bought by the Anchor Brewery on Cherrry street and the main house let to the horse-keeper for the brewery's horses which were stabled on the site.

The tall building with the fancy roof-line that can be seen in the background of the Whitehouses picture was probably a skating rink.

In the 1910 directory it is listed as the property of Sheffield and Olympia Rinks Ltd., Shoreham street and Bramall lane.

By 1917 the site was listed as Lockwood & Co., Engineers.

It looks as though the Whiteshouses site was bought by the Anchor Brewery on Cherrry street and the main house let to the horse-keeper for the brewery's horses which were stabled on the site.

See Olympia post by Dunsbyowl

I assume the Olympia was on the corner of Bramhall Ln and Cherry st the location of the White House

I think the ground floor of the Olympia survived until recently as Arnold Lavers offices.

See Olympia post by Dunsbyowl

I assume the Olympia was on the corner of Bramhall Ln and Cherry st the location of the White House

I think the ground floor of the Olympia survived until recently as Arnold Lavers offices.

Thanks, - nice to have a mystery solved.

The Whitehouse was still on the corner of Cherry street, in the photo you can see the frontage of the Olympia building beyond the cottages and beyond that the fence/hoardings that bordered the Sheaf House Athletics Ground. The Whitehouse photo looks to have been taken from an upstairs room of the pub that stood on the corner of Hill street and Bramall lane, and the Olympia photo taken from the bottom of Alderson place.

That area was a stomping ground for me as a youngster and the ground floor windows of that Olympia building seem very familiar. We used to sneak in to Lavers via the side gate on Cherry street to watch the big saw working, —it was a 10 or 12 foot diameter circular saw (as often featured in the old silent films) and the huge tree trunks were fed onto it with an overhead crane. That would be around 1947/48...we usually got chased out by one of the workers.

Two sets of my great-grandparents lived there, according to the census of 1881 and 1891. Sometimes shown as Whitehouses (one word). Different records show alternatively as being on Cherry Street rather than Brammall (or Bramall) Lane. The families concerned were Dickinson and Archer. I'm glad to see the picture of the premises. Such a picture has eluded me until this. Thanks for posting

2 hours ago, LesD said:

Two sets of my great-grandparents lived there, according to the census of 1881 and 1891. Sometimes shown as Whitehouses (one word). Different records show alternatively as being on Cherry Street rather than Brammall (or Bramall) Lane. The families concerned were Dickinson and Archer. I'm glad to see the picture of the premises. Such a picture has eluded me until this. Thanks for posting

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 17-21-37 Side by side georeferenced maps viewer with layer swipe - Map images - National Library of Scotland.png

SteveHB Thanks for this documented information. John Archer's daughter Mary, married Charles Thomas Dickinson (1872) who lived at No2. (1881 census) Amongst their children was a son Frank who is shown in the 1891 census as 'silversmith's apprentice' so presumably working with his grandad John.