St. Josephs Walkley

Guest dpotts

Guest dpotts

Does anyone remember St Josephs school at common side/Walkley? Im looking for photos and cannot find anything out there at all.

Dave

Guest tsavo

Try Picture Sheffield, I'm sure there are some there. Please post a link to any you use and not post the pictures direct. This is at Picture Sheffield's request. Thanks.

Try Picture Sheffield, I'm sure there are some there. Please post a link to any you use and not post the pictures direct. This is at Picture Sheffield's request. Thanks.

Here a couple around that area, 1900, both are more "looking in the direction of ..." rather than pictures of...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s14525

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s15284

and one from inside

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s06460

Does anyone remember St Josephs school at common side/Walkley? Im looking for photos and cannot find anything out there at all.

Dave

I went to St Josephs started in reception 1963/64 and left because we moved in 1968, Sister Margaret was in charge.

The school is just in the process of being converted in to luxury appartments. I lived at Commonside for years in the 70s and early 80s and found out recently that there was a pub at the side of St Josephs called the Howard Hotel. I would love to see pics of the pub as the location where it was sited does'nt look big enough to house a building.

Dave

Couldn't find one of the school but found this photo of the chapel.

The Sisters of Charity undertook to run a catholic reformatory school for girls in 1861. The property was purchased at Howard Hill for £1,450 formally Mr Wrights boarding school. The above chapel was built in 1871/2.

The reformatory eventually became a hospital and closed in 1983.

St Josephs School across the road and was opened in 1889 and closed in 1981.

... as the location where it was sited does'nt look big enough to house a building.

Would this location be, the bus-stop, on the bend ???

Elizabeth Ann WALKER Vict. Howard Hotel 94 Howard Road, Walkley Kelly's 1893

Moses PRICE Vict. Howard Hotel 94 Howard Road White's 1911

Charles BALMFORTH Vict. Howard Hotel 94 Howard Road White's 1919

Charles BALMFORTH Vict. Howard Hotel 94 Howard Road Kelly's 1925