Rising Sun, Nether Green

Edmund

My dad is an afficianado of the Rising Sun at Nether Green and asked me to find out when the Rising Sun was built. The answer for the current building is in the Pubs Index here:

Any further information about the council road widening scheme gratefully received. I have seen a photo (don't have it) of the old pub and the new build both together, builders still up ladders on the new one, presumably the old one was demolished as soon as the new one was completed. I've got some more bits and pieces which I thought I'd post here.

John Guest Taylor was a farmer and married the licensee Ann Marsden on Sept 21 1871. Ann died 22nd October 1897.

In 1857 the licence transferred from Henry Barker to Robert Bradbury, neither mentioned in the Pubs Index:

The pub had its moment of national fame in 1891 with a MASSIVE serving out of hours offence:

Plenty of good photos on Picture Sheffield, including the landlord John Guest Taylor who deserved a medal for services in support of the militia.

http://www.picturesh...ising_Sun_Inn%;

Thank you, the evidence is good enough for me; hopefully Ukelele Lady will be along as the final judge and jury and the index will be updated. My hearts not in it right now.

Thank you for a great input.

In 1857 the licence transferred from Henry Barker to Robert Bradbury, neither mentioned in the Pubs Index:

Couple more bits of information:

Philip Warbleton's application for a spirit licence (previously a beer only licence):

But by 1856 W. Lee was running the place (not mentioned in the Pubs Index):

You keep finding quality bits of information like these and we will update the listings; previously good, now (with various peoples help) the best of its class.

Tsavo thought I was bonkers when I came up with the idea but came along for the ride.

Thank you.

My dad is an afficianado of the Rising Sun at Nether Green and asked me to find out when the Rising Sun was built. The answer for the current building is in the Pubs Index here:

Any further information about the council road widening scheme gratefully received. I have seen a photo (don't have it) of the old pub and the new build both together, builders still up ladders on the new one, presumably the old one was demolished as soon as the new one was completed. I've got some more bits and pieces which I thought I'd post here.

John Guest Taylor was a farmer and married the licensee Ann Marsden on Sept 21 1871. Ann died 22nd October 1897.

The pub had its moment of national fame in 1891 with a MASSIVE serving out of hours offence:

Plenty of good photos on Picture Sheffield, including the landlord John Guest Taylor who deserved a medal for services in support of the militia.

http://www.picturesh...ising_Sun_Inn%;

There was a report in the Sheffield Star some time in the 1960's about an after hours lock-in at a pub on Langsett Road.

The article described how a passing policeman heard the sounds of many merry drinkers and the clink of glasses well after time.

He summoned assistance and eventually several bobbies turned up and they all took it it turns to climb onto each others shoulders and observe the scene through the skylight above the door.

The case went to court and what tickled me was the three word ending to the report.

Case Not Proven. :rolleyes:

HD

There's an excellent book called "The growth of Ranmoor, Hangingwater and Nether Green" by Peter Warr (who happens to be one of our members!) which contains quite a bit of information about the Rising Sun.

The place had another use occasionally.

Thank you, the evidence is good enough for me; hopefully Ukelele Lady will be along as the final judge and jury and the index will be updated. My hearts not in it right now.

Thank you for a great input.

I will get them updated and thank you to Edmund.

Philip Warbleton's application for a spirit licence (previously a beer only licence):

But by 1856 W. Lee was running the place (not mentioned in the Pubs Index):

Edmund I have been a local in The Sun for over 30 years.Who is your dad?

Edmund I have been a local in The Sun for over 30 years.Who is your dad?

It's been my local since Abbeydale took it over and introduced no smoking about 18 months before the national ban. Packed every Tue evening since.

Jimmy - "Dad" is Roy Wilkinson, at the bar with Mum virtually every Saturday evening.

I must know his face even if I don't know him to speak to.

I was back in Sheffield at the weekend and Father managed to find the photo of the Original Rising Sun and the New Rising Sun, about 1902, before the old one was demolished. The workman does not appear to have done a risk assessment, with one foot on the ladder and the other on the roof of the old pub.

Apologies for the quality, it's a scan of a photocopy of a copy of a copy etc

There is, a house, in Nether Green

They call the Rising Sun

It's been the ruin of many a poor boy

And Lord I know I'm one

lol

That is what my dad used to sing as he rolled home in the 60's and 70's from the 'Sun' (currant bun) Sunday Lunchtimes and many nights, later for dinner and worse for wear.

We never did get the dog he had been to see the man about!