Newspaper Archives At Sheffield Library (Ww1)

Guest Paul C

Guest Paul C

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about making a trip to Sheffield Library to search through the newspaper archives for any mention of relatives who fought or were killed in WW1. Which newspapers do I need to be looking at - last time I was there I think I looked at The Sheffield Daily Telegraph and the Yorkshire Telegraph & Star, but are there other titles to consider? Also, how long did it generally take for news to be reported in the local press, i.e. would it have been several weeks or even several months after the event?

Cheers!

The Independent had a list of casualties and killed in( every?) issue, with photos of many of them. It's on microfilm, and the images are mostly very poor if you try to print them. I was trying to get a decent picture a while ago, and despite the help of one of the staff didn't have much success. In the end she said many people now take a digital camera along and try taking a copy that way.

I assume you've had a look at Trefcon's topics on here?

Guest Paul C

You mean the pinned topics? Yes, but unfortunately they don't have what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check out the Independent when I go.

The second morning paper (in addition to the Telegraph) was the Independent. I think the Yorkshire Telegraph and Star was largely based on the Sheffield Star itself.

In practice, military news was severely censored and lacking in information, so very few details about Sheffielders are available. And, as Bayleaf says, the images are very poor. (One day we’ll have searchable digital versions. That’ll be completely different!)

I’m at present working through the WW1 papers in the Library, and it’s EXTREMELY slow and tedious. This is a long shot, but if you provide some surnames I’ll keep my eyes open (but that’s difficult after an hour or so in front of the film machine).

Peter

God Bless anyone that takes on a slowans tedious task in the name of the history of Sheffield - your effort is greatly appreciated.

I've had a couple of goes myself and I know what a slog it is.

I’m at present working through the WW1 papers in the Library, and it’s EXTREMELY slow and tedious.