George Arthur Young : Railway Death

Guest suzy

I have a relative who worked on the Railways as a 'Railway Re-layer'. He was tragically killed on 09/04/58 age 66 - Cause of Death : "Shock and haemorrhage due to multiple injuries sustained on 09/04/58 when deceased was knocked down by a Brake Van (looks like the word Van but I could be wrong) being pulled by a railway engine on the premises of the British Transport Commission near Masbro Goods Yard, Rotherham". Accidental death recorded. George was dead on arrival at The Hospital, Doncaster Gate, Rotherham.

I have obtained his death certificate, hence the above detail, but would love to know more information. Was it recorded in the local newspapers? Is it recorded on any Railway documentation?

Any help would be much appreciated please.

Hi

I am looking on the railways employment records for George, Do you know which company he worked for and which

station ?

Jan

Hi

I am looking on the railways employment records for George, Do you know which company he worked for and which

station ?

Jan

Hi Jan - I am sorry I dont. I know he lived in Sheffield but was working in Rotherham when he got killed. Apologies for not being much help but I really appreciate your assistance. I dont know how common employee deaths where then but I presume it must have been recorded somewhere? Thanks again,

I looked on Ancestry for him, but there wasn't a George Arthur and the records don't go to 1958, when of course British Railways would be the company he worked for. He might not have worked all his life on the railways too!

I looked on Ancestry for him, but there wasn't a George Arthur and the records don't go to 1958, when of course British Railways would be the company he worked for. He might not have worked all his life on the railways too!

Thank you for your time History Dude - much appreciated. I just hope I have not come across a brick wall with this one. :( Unfortunately there is no one left in the family to throw any light on this either, so I am desperate to get any information/help that I can.

I don't know what you have about him in total, but looking at the records of BMD there is only one George Arthur Young born in 1892. So I have found these records for him.

It seems he was born in Drewsbury and baptised there. I have the record, but it won't upload here (error 500).

The family moved to Sheffield and are found in this 1901 Census.

I tried the 1911 Census, but he might not be calling himself George Arthur (there dosen't appear any), just George, so I can't pinpoint him out from the crowd!

Guest suzy

I don't know what you have about him in total, but looking at the records of BMD there is only one George Arthur Young born in 1892. So I have found these records for him.

It seems he was born in Drewsbury and baptised there. I have the record, but it won't upload here (error 500).

The family moved to Sheffield and are found in this 1901 Census.

I tried the 1911 Census, but he might not be calling himself George Arthur (there dosen't appear any), just George, so I can't pinpoint him out from the crowd!

Thank you : pity it wont load - pardon my ignorance but is it possible to send it me via a pm?

I did find him on the 1901 census but like you I am lost with the 1911 census!

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have any ideas on how I may find out more details about the death? I have the death certificate but wondered if it would have been reported in the newspapers or anything?

Thank you again for your time and effort.

Thank you : pity it wont load - pardon my ignorance but is it possible to send it me via a pm?

I did find him on the 1901 census but like you I am lost with the 1911 census!

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have any ideas on how I may find out more details about the death? I have the death certificate but wondered if it would have been reported in the newspapers or anything?

Thank you again for your time and effort.

Railway accidents which end in death tend to get reported in the local newspaper, when only one person (who's not famous) is envolved. It's just a question of looking around the Star Newspaper (or any others, perhaps Rotherham Star) for a few days after his death. A trip to local studies will help there. If your not local ask on Sheffield Indexers forum for help. I've seen plenty of requests for help like that on there. Someone will make the trip for you!

I'm not certain, but I think Railway accidents have to be investigated, that would throw up some paperwork. Now if you can see them is another question.

Where they are kept is another question too. But you could try the National Archives. You could also ask about the British Transport Commission, at local studies and the National Archives.

Lastly you could also see if you can get hold of the hospital records for the accident, write or phone "The Hospital, Doncaster Gate, Rotherham" if it's still there, or the Area Health Authority for Rotherham if it's not. Point out your are a relation and give them all the details to help them find it!

I'll find some way of getting the baptism entry to you. I can always print it and then scan! That should clear any bugs out!

In the end I just needed to edit the file and save it under a different name!

Thanks again for all your help. I will keep up the search and follow the routes you mention.