My Father's Old Super 8 Movies Of Sheffield

Killamarshian

I have converted some of my father's old super movies of Sheffield. See my youtube page.

A few more I converted

Lord Mayor's Parade

Arbourthorne and Gleadless Valley

Hackenthorpe Gala

City Centre

270th Intake Scouts

Welcome to Sheffield History Killamarshian (I take it that your username refers to a resident of Killamarsh and not someone who is at war with with natives from the planet Mars lol ) and thank you for posting and sharing these 8mm films.

They are interesting to me for a number of reasons,-

1 ) They are mainly from the south east of Sheffield (Gleadless, Intake, Hackenthorpe) which I know well

2 ) They are from a time a period (1971 to 1976) when I was in my late teens / early 20's and was also in to photography and cinematopraphy, using 8mm cine film. Super 8 in a cartridge only became available in 1965, before that Standard 8, on a 16mm wide open spool was the usual amateur film media.

3 ) As transfer of 8mm film to modern digital forms for web posting have been discussed previously I am interested in how these films were transfered. I suspect they were filmed from the screen as several of them have projector noise (projector clatter) on the soundtrack, but the picture quality is very good and the reframing without distortion (unless done by a transfer projection box) is excellent for an 8mm film transfered by this method.

Thanks for sharing this, a fantastic first post.

I used my father's old Eumig projector and used an old Panasonic DV Tape Camcorder. I placed the camera on a tripod, darkend the room and projected onto an A4 piece of white printer paper. Nothing technical or fancy, apart from the video was then Edited/zoomed on Sony Vegas Pro 10.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, I'll see whay else I can find. I'll try and post more next weekend.

I used my father's old Eumig projector and used an old Panasonic DV Tape Camcorder. I placed the camera on a tripod, darkend the room and projected onto an A4 piece of white printer paper. Nothing technical or fancy, apart from the video was then Edited/zoomed on Sony Vegas Pro 10.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, I'll see whay else I can find. I'll try and post more next weekend.

Interesting.

The old films I have posted on here in another topic were projected with my Eumig 824D onto an A4 piece of white paper and then filmed with a Sumsung DV tape camera mounted close to the projector to avoid distortion due to differences of perspective.

Almost exactly the same set up.

• Like 1