Jump to content
miked

Stanley Jepson - Heeley- American Indians

Recommended Posts

As yet, no I haven't but I will...They are mainly small ceremonial items...rattles and so on. The Brant family are still very much in existence around Tyendinaga and Desoronto. The Mohawks are our second oldest allies...after the Portuguese and proudly display a silver tea service, given to them by Queen Anne.They do this when they re- enact the "Landings"... The time when they were expelled from their homelands by the newly founded USA....and paddled across Lake Ontario to find a new homeland... given to them by the British for their loyalty in opposing the "rebellion". In Tyendinaga they also have one of the longest established Royal Chapels...The general area, including European settlements, is known as "Loyalist County" with its own Loyalist College and the original Union Flag in great evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lysander said:

As yet, no I haven't but I will...They are mainly small ceremonial items...rattles and so on. The Brant family are still very much in existence around Tyendinaga and Desoronto. The Mohawks are our second oldest allies...after the Portuguese and proudly display a silver tea service, given to them by Queen Anne.They do this when they re- enact the "Landings"... The time when they were expelled from their homelands by the newly founded USA....and paddled across Lake Ontario to find a new homeland... given to them by the British for their loyalty in opposing the "rebellion". In Tyendinaga they also have one of the longest established Royal Chapels...The general area, including European settlements, is known as "Loyalist County" with its own Loyalist College and the original Union Flag in great evidence.

I think I saw Brants house when I canoed on the Grand river. He did a return visit to the Wharncliffes in London. I wrote a bit about him and understand he was a controversial figure. I went to a museum at Burlington which had stuff on him. Do you have any of the fantastic books by Michael Johnson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the descendants of Joseph Tyendinaga Brant are still rather controversial...especially with regard to defending the rights of the Mohawk nation! No, I have to confess I haven't read any of the books to which you refer...must put them on my list of things to read!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a bit about Brant in Johnsons "American Woodland Indians"

Below is a bit from my research , a letter written by John Stuart Wortley (1824) from Boston U.S.A.  In which he “Sends some impressions to his sister Caroline”.

 

We stopped on our way to the old colonel’s at the Grand River, sixty or seventy miles from Niagara and walked two or three miles from the road to the Mohawk village. It consisted of perhaps fifteen to twenty buildings, of wooden planks, or as they are called here clapboards (the common material in these newly cleared parts), placed at straggling distances round a considerable oblong space of common ground, towards one end of which stood their church of clapboard also. A few idle Indians, not in feathers but dresses made of European cloth and very dirty, were dawdling about and directed us to Brants house, a cottage looking  little better than the rest. We unluckily found that Joseph Brant* our visitor at Curzon Street, was absent, but another dirty slovenly roué of a brother who was there showed us into the room.

*Strangely,  as far as I can see Brant had been dead 17 years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time I went onto Mohawk Territory I was rather underwhelmed. Ordinary bungalows with a deck...some, perhaps, painted a little "brightly" and not a wigwam in sight but with their own police force, schools, health clinics, cultural centres, sports facilities, libraries, enterprise centre and an airport. The sale of cheap, tax free, cigarettes and gasoline helps their economy. Of course, the Mohawks and the rest of the woodland tribes lived in settlements with cabins and the women tended crops( which further south saved the original Pilgrim Father's when they were at the point of starvation ] The sale of alcohol is still forbidden but freely available at the nearest town ( Belleville) but drugs are a real problem for many young people , as are opportunities.

Wortley's description of Brant's brother and "dirty Indians" says it all about  19th century prejudice which, sadly, is still to be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2016 at 18:21, lysander said:

The first time I went onto Mohawk Territory I was rather underwhelmed. Ordinary bungalows with a deck...some, perhaps, painted a little "brightly" and not a wigwam in sight but with their own police force, schools, health clinics, cultural centres, sports facilities, libraries, enterprise centre and an airport. The sale of cheap, tax free, cigarettes and gasoline helps their economy. Of course, the Mohawks and the rest of the woodland tribes lived in settlements with cabins and the women tended crops( which further south saved the original Pilgrim Father's when they were at the point of starvation ] The sale of alcohol is still forbidden but freely available at the nearest town ( Belleville) but drugs are a real problem for many young people , as are opportunities.

Wortley's description of Brant's brother and "dirty Indians" says it all about  19th century prejudice which, sadly, is still to be found.

Very sad, I have seen several reports recently on tv. regarding Dakota and Winnipeg where girls frequently go missing.   At least his son Edward had a great fascination during his buffalo (slaughtering) trip of 1850 and brought back a fantastic collection of artefacts. I am trying to assess this material since up to now the collection has been largely wrongly ascribed. I remember seeing the war shirt and knife as a kid when it was displayed in the entrance to the museum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 12:17, miked said:

Theres a bit about Brant in Johnsons "American Woodland Indians"

...

*Strangely,  as far as I can see Brant had been dead 17 years!

Hopefully that's Joseph, not me !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2012 at 15:08, Bayleaf said:

 

 

Best I can come up with would be Digsalter, could it be the name of the druggist he was working for?

Drysalter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't add anything about Stanley Jepson's collection but I can add something about him and the dating process.  I had singing lessons with Stanley at Wilson Pecks from 22 November 1955 to 27 July 1956, so he didn't leave Sheffield until sometime after the Summer of 1956.  Stanley was a very well-known bass-baritone and he was mentioned in the obituary of Terrence Sharpe who attended the University of Sheffield at the same time as me.  Terrence, who died in 2004, became a highly-respected bass-baritone with Welsh National Opera.

 Victor B. Kendrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×