Haddam, Connecticut.

RichardB

The settlement of Haddam was made in 1662, by twenty-eight young men who settled on the east shore

of the Connecticut River, in the neighborhood of Walkley Hill and Mill Creek.

Others, who came a little later, settled to the south of Mill Creek, in the vicinity of the present hamlet of Haddam.

The names of the first settlers, near Walkley Hill, were :

Nicholas Ackley, Joseph Arnold, John Bailey, James Bates, Daniel Brainerd,

Thomas Brooks, Samuel Butler, William Clarke, Daniel Cone, William Corbee, Abraham Dibble, Samuel Ganes,

George Gates, John Hannison, Richard Jones, Stephen Luxford, John Parents, Richard Piper, Thomas Shayler,

Simon Smith, Thomas Smith, Gerrard Spencer, Joseph Stannard, William Ventres, James Wells, John Spencer,

John Webb, and John Wiat.

John Bailey, born Sheffield 1618. Sailed on board the "Bevis" from Southampton 1638. Married Lydia Backus from

Sheffield - three daughters Lydia, Susanna and Mary, three sons John, Benjamin and Natheniel.

John Bailey, Senior was one of the founders of Haddam, CT.

http://www.yrt.rothe...connecticut.htm

I am in the US, and as it happens, about two months ago, I stumbled upon (literally) the certain knowledge that I am an 11th great-grandson of Edward Fuller; he being one of 102 passengers aboard the Mayflower and landing at what is now Plymouth, Massachusetts in Nov of 1620. He was also one of the signers of the famous "Mayflower Compact" (the Mayflower Compact being "famous" at least from the US point of view).

It took me 5+ years to research and gain an understanding of my Jackson forebears in and around Sheffield (Manor Lodge ruins in 1841), and they emigrated to the US in 1848, but it only took 10 minutes to find (stumble upon) this Mayflower connection.

Here in the US, in 1877, my Jackson gg-gf married a Fuller-born woman, and preceding her is the certifiably correct line of 9 male Fullers straight back to Edward Fuller. Needless to say, I was quite gob-smacked, and incredible also is that it appears that none of the Fullers ever knew or remembered this fact since my knowledge of this Mayflower thing did not come by way of any Fuller source. The Fuller gg-gm in question died at the age of 24 due to measles, but she lived long enough to produce 3 children; the last of which was my g-gf Jackson.

Mike

Sullivan County, PA, USA

I'm thinking this photo is pretty "pioneer-ish". This is John Jackson (my ggg-gf) ca 1880, in front of his cabin home, way to hell and gone up in the backwoods of Sullivan County, PA, USA. In 1841 this same John Jackson (the oldest of 6) was residing on Andrew Street, Brightside, in the home of his in-laws. Meanwhile, his parents and siblings were residing at the Manor Lodge, in what is known today as the Long Gallery portion of the Manor ruins. Andrew Street is now gone - obliterated by a portion of what is now called (I think) Derek Dooley Way.