Does Anyone Recognise This Location?

Guest otterspotter

Guest otterspotter

Does anyone recognise this location in Sheffield? Late 1920's/early 30' I'd guess. A nice bit of woodwork detail. It may well be demolished but if not someone may know it. This is my great granny Emma Manning. I've looked at some of the addresses they lived at around this period: Emmet Carr Lane in Renishaw and other addresses around Renishaw. But more likely Sheffield so: 1 Attercliffe Common. Freedom Road. 163 Tyler Street. Teagarden Terrace (bombed out in WW2) 5 Olive Terrace (Loxley) But this may be somewhere different, a friends' house perhaps or an address we don't know.

Does anyone recognise this location in Sheffield? Late 1920's/early 30' I'd guess. A nice bit of woodwork detail. It may well be demolished but if not someone may know it. This is my great granny Emma Manning. I've looked at some of the addresses they lived at around this period: Emmet Carr Lane in Renishaw and other addresses around Renishaw. But more likely Sheffield so: 1 Attercliffe Common. Freedom Road. 163 Tyler Street. Teagarden Terrace (bombed out in WW2) 5 Olive Terrace (Loxley) But this may be somewhere different, a friends' house perhaps or an address we don't know.

Oh , if only we knew.

How many times have we picked up old photographs with no information on them.

I hope someone out there has an idea where it could be for you otterspotter, there's quite a few wizards out there.

Good luck.

Well you can rule out Olive Terrace because those houses are still there and very definitely stone built.

(That's one off the list) :)

I've been in and out of houses up and down Sheffield since the 60's and I don't remember (which doesn't mean much) seeing that spindle decoration in the passageways.

If it is Sheffield it could be recognizable to someone.

We have a couple of demolition guys (Ex Cavator is one) who may recognize it.

Indeed an unusual spindle decoration; plus a slight decoration on the lintle over the gennel and over the window (top left).

Obvious question - what was your great grandfathers name please ?

Could that be a word written at the bottom right ? or just a blemish ? Anything on the back ? (Obvious, but it has to be asked).

A person called Emma Manning lived at 178 Psalter Lane in 1901, she's the wife of a Unitarian Minister; both are aged 53.

This is simply a person who happens to be called Emma Manning, no claims made for any validity or relevance to your question - just for information.

Confessions of a Cat Burgular !!!

I've been in and out of houses up and down Sheffield (mainly at night, wearing a striped shirt and carrying a swag-bag) since the 60's and I don't remember (which doesn't mean much) seeing that spindle decoration in the passageways. Wanna buy any old tat ?

I lived on Jenkin Road in the 1960's & 1970's - that doesn't look like Tyler Street )the road that runs from Brightside to Wincobank. I also think Freedom Road is on a hill and mostly stone built.

I think you are right with the date given the hair style and dress - and obviously before the wartime scrapping of house railings - what a shame!

I just liked the name so I looked it up.

Tea Gardens Terrace

Number 90 Grimesthorpe Rd was the Tea Gardens pub

Just noticed that, apart from possibly #12, the terrace looks intact in the 1950's ??

Vox - Looking at the type of housing around there - late Victorian/Edwardian - for instance on Scott Road - it is fairly similar. Bays and entries. Though not much of if is as flat as the photo!

Well spotted Steve :ph34r:he he

I think that if we can identify the unknown curtain twitcher,

we should be one step nearer to identifying the location.

:ph34r:

Sorry to digress.

Here's the Tea Gardens Pub now.

Google Streetview

So this is where the terrace was, just past the pub on the left.

Google Streetview

Guest otterspotter

Thanks everyone so far for all the comments. Well spotted Steve - I'd never noticed the chap in the window! I will try and ID him.

Emma was married to Percy Manning - a clerk in various iron works and at one point a travelling rep for steelworks (I presume)

He died 1926 aged 61. This may be him in the window which would give us a date of around 1925. I'll look into it some more. Please keep your comments coming. It certainly is a distinctive terraced house with that spindlework and no front door on the right hand side

Guest otterspotter

Also thanks for the view of Tea gardens area. Emma was there during WW2 living with her son Walter and his family. They got bombed out according to family history.

This looks SO like my grandma's house I just wanted to share it with you. (house in front of white van) Design must be very similar right down to the boarded-off gennel which lead through to a large communal yard and toilet block. I never saw the railings, (would they have been removed pre first or second world war?) The house was a 2-up and 2-down with a small scullery at the back, cellar and coal shute below the front window. I spent a lot of the first 5 years of my life in this house.

http://maps.google.c...1NYmikAWIt8XwCw

Thanks everyone so far for all the comments. Well spotted Steve - I'd never noticed the chap in the window! I will try and ID him.

Emma was married to Percy Manning - a clerk in various iron works and at one point a travelling rep for steelworks (I presume)

He died 1926 aged 61. This may be him in the window which would give us a date of around 1925. I'll look into it some more. Please keep your comments coming. It certainly is a distinctive terraced house with that spindlework and no front door on the right hand side

1911 Census

Percy Manning Born 1866 in Kensington London Traveller Commercial Ironfounder

161 Freedom Road Sheffield.

From Sheff Indexers:

MANNING, Percy (Timekeeper, age 61).

Died at 163 Tyler Street; Buried on December 23, 1926 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 4033, Section JJ of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, L H Crowther: Removed from Brightside Parish.

161 Freedom Rd.....

Hi Richard i have done the same as you with Google Earth but if you look farther down down Freedom Road there are a few possibiltys but sadly no Bay Windows, ( Modernised ? maybe )

I doubt its Freedom rd, look at the gradient of the wall meeting the pavement on the original, no drop at all, Freedom Rd is way steeper than that.

There's a line of houses on Staniforth Road that match the style very well indeed. I've run up all the along the road and can't see anything matching exactly, but perhaps this is a clue that it was 1, Attercliffe Common?

http://maps.google.c...,243.32,,1,3.05

eg the stone over the entrance (what's it called? a keystone?? edit: lintle - thanks RichardB!) matches very closely the one in the target picture (even though nothing else does). I'm going to keep driving round the side streets!

Guest otterspotter

Thanks everyone for all the detective work. I suspect, as we seem to agree that it is taken in the late 1920's - early 1930's, that it is either 163 Tyler St or 1 Attercliffe Common. Thanks again for all the interest. Maybe one day a period photo will turn up of these areas for comparison.

Guest plain talker

There's a line of houses on Staniforth Road that match the style very well indeed. I've run up all the along the road and can't see anything matching exactly, but perhaps this is a clue that it was 1, Attercliffe Common?

http://maps.google.c...,243.32,,1,3.05

eg the stone over the entrance (what's it called? a keystone?? edit: lintle - thanks RichardB!) matches very closely the one in the target picture (even though nothing else does). I'm going to keep driving round the side streets!

The lintels look the same, but the wall beside the lady has no stone gatepost, that is very evident on the picture of the house on Staniforth Road.