Woodthorpe. Handsworth. 1864

Guest yorkshiregal

Guest yorkshiregal

Hi, Newby here...I've just found my Great, great, great grandfathers birth certificate, Dated 1864. Place of birth Woodthorpe. Handsworth. Fathers profession domestic servant. So am assuming that my gggg was born in service at Woodthorpe....this also tallies with some very old family photo's...just wondered if anyone had any photo's of the house or history of the family. I understand the house was owned by Hugh Parker????

Any info very much appreciated

Hi, Newby here...I've just found my Great, great, great grandfathers birth certificate, Dated 1864. Place of birth Woodthorpe. Handsworth. Fathers profession domestic servant. So am assuming that my gggg was born in service at Woodthorpe....this also tallies with some very old family photo's...just wondered if anyone had any photo's of the house or history of the family. I understand the house was owned by Hugh Parker????

Any info very much appreciated

Hi There :)

Check out Hunters Hallamshire that's listed on this site. It has a full family tree of the Parker Family. The Hall was in the Parish of Handsworth and it didn't become part of Sheffield till after 1921. But the Hall was demolished in 1934. The location was roughly where Woodthorpe School is now.

This building was on the Audrey Road entrance.

Bit more information. The Parkers were no longer at Woodthorpe Hall at the the time of your relative. They had sold it after the Parker Shore Bank collapsed in 1843. So at that time it was John Bower Brown who lived there. He was one of the owners of Sheaf Works. The building still there near to the canal basin. He is burried in Handsworth Churchyard where I suspect you might find some of your relations!

Guest yorkshiregal

Thank you all so much what a beautiful house....what a shame it's no longer there....I love the photograph with the family at the entrance......will pass all this information on to my cousins...we're trying to work out how the family moved from Woodthorpe to Leeds. Also does anyone have any more information about John Bower Brown and family. Also does anyone know if Mary Plant (nee Steele) was in service at the house????...This is very exciting.

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Both Richard and John are intered in Handsworth Churchyard. It's one of those brown glazed marble jobs. You can't miss it! Richard died aged just 49. He married Adela Freme and they had children.

The sale of 1843 lists the rooms and contents (if you need to know what was in them, just ask for the room you want).

Lists of rooms Servants Hall, Laundry, Kitchen, Scullery, Butler's Pantry. --- Main Parts: Entrance Hall, Vestibule, Dinning Room, Drawing Room, Ante Room, Green Lodging Room, Middle Bed Room, Blue Room, Staircase and Landing (with six portraits on), Mr John Parker's Room, French Bed Room, Man Servants Room, Spare Servants Room, House Keepers Room, Servants Double Room, Housekeepers Room, Mr Parker's Room, Mrs Parkers Room, Second Landing, Carpet Closet, Top Green Room, Corner Dressing Room, Second Double Room, Nursery Bed Room, Servants Room.

A bit more of a description is given too:

Ground Floor: Square entrance hall with Portico stone staircase and lavatory. The Drawing Room 27' by 21' (feet), dining room 23' by 21', Libary 16' by 15', Breakfast Room and Study and Business Room.

1st Floor: Six principal bedrooms and dressing rooms, also in a wing (shut off) four servants bed rooms and Laundry with stone floor.

2nd Floor: Six Bed rooms. The Domestic Offices: Butler's pantry, large servants hall, Kitchen Scullery, dairy, larder and extensive cellerage.

3 Staircases all of stone.

By the way I came accros a woman called Linda Reyworth who's the real expert on Woodthorpe Hall. She lived in one of those houses on Prince of Wales Road that front the crossing near Fairleigh. But Sandra Gillot (who did the Handsworth books) knows her. So if you get in touch with Sandra, via the Handswoth Historical Society, they should put you in touch. If your ancestor(s) was at Woodthorpe Hall Linda will know them. What I know pales at what she will know by now. :)

1851 Census

Unbelievable just thought I would look as I am from this area and found that my Great granddad's sister Selina Windle was a servant there. :)

Guest yorkshiregal

Thank you so much this is fantastic.....can't even imagine how interesting life must have been at Woodthorpe...it's painting an amazing picture...I'll definitely try to contact Sandra at Handsworth historical society... think I may have some photographs taken at Woodthorpe....that need verification..... she may be interested!!!!

Edited to say 'we think that William Earnshaw Plant left Woodthorpe at the age of 6 with his father and mother Mary Plant formerly Steele,' which would mean they won't show on the 1871 census????

Please keep us updated.

Thank you so much this is fantastic.....can't even imagine how interesting life must have been at Woodthorpe...it's painting an amazing picture...I'll definitely try to contact Sandra at Handsworth historical society... think I may have some photographs taken at Woodthorpe....that need verification..... she may be interested lol

With my extensive knowledge of the subject matter, i.e. none, I'm just pleased to have been able to contribute something.

Unbelievable just thought I would look as I am from this area and found that my Great granddad's sister Selina Windle was a servant there. :)

Hope this helps

Handsworth Historical Society

Document Actions

* Send this page to somebody

* Print this page

Handsworth Historical Society

Contact: Sandra Gillott, phone +44 (0)114 269 8213, or e-mail sandra.gillott@btinternet.com

Sandra is a very helpful person and I know that she will be pleased to point you in the right direction.

Are you any relation to a Mr Windle who lived on Queen Mary Road who used to repair TV's? As I remember him well, for when he died, one of his relatives was cleaning out his house throwing away a lot of his books. As I was and still into electronics, they gave me many of his old books. Including a complete set of Newnes Radio and TV volumes from issue 1 to 1968! Marvelous they are and I still have them. :)

Are you any relation to a Mr Windle who lived on Queen Mary Road who used to repair TV's? As I remember him well, for when he died, one of his relatives was cleaning out his house throwing away a lot of his books. As I was and still into electronics, they gave me many of his old books. Including a complete set of Newnes Radio and TV volumes from issue 1 to 1968! Marvelous they are and I still have them. :)

Not that I know of but I do know of them a son went to Woodthorpe school when I did.

Not that I know of but I do know of them a son went to Woodthorpe school when I did.

Not David Windle who had a thumb and 3 fingers missing from his right hand.

Later went to Norfolk School with me and Stuart.

Guest HappyLappy

My husband's GG-Grandfather was John Bower Brown. I see that it is mentioned that he was buried in Handsworth Churchyard. When I look up the churches in Handsworth, there is quite a list. Which churchyard is it found in?

Doesn't anser your question, but hopefully of interest.

Hello and Welcome to the site lol

My husband's GG-Grandfather was John Bower Brown. I see that it is mentioned that he was buried in Handsworth Churchyard. When I look up the churches in Handsworth, there is quite a list. Which churchyard is it found in?

Guest HappyLappy

I have already printed this article out. Isn't it great!!! This is where I found out my first really big can-of-worms about Derek's GGG Grandfather (William Greaves) & GG Grandfather (John Bower Brown). Now we really have to come over from Canada to see England and where all this history was!