The Isle

Blacky

Ive found my third great grandfather living at "The Isle" when he was ten years old and wondered if anyone knew the history of the area and why it was simply called The Isle?

I have come across only one picture of the area on picture sheffield which doesnt give me much to go on.

Thanks,

Lee

I've just looked at the photos and read the text and it says the cellars of the houses on Townend St adjacent to the Griffin had long cellars and were blocked off in the 60's. I used to ride cycle speedway on the track adjacent to the White Bear and the cellars were still there in the 70's albeit blocked off half way along. We got big crowds and if it rained, people would hide in the cellars. So did we with our bikes. I reckon the ends were filled in because the road above was a bus route.

For although there are at much later dates (eg 1664) items for making or repairing stone " staires att Ladyes Bridge," we must suppose that these were but a footway leading down to " Under-the- Water," and so to " The Isle,"

From Sheffield in the Eighteenth Century - Leader (link fairy vacancy)

Not where I would have placed it ... most willing to be wrong. "Under the Water" ...

I can only find James Millington, Saw manufacturer of The Isle 1833-1846.

The only Census Records i can find for The Isle Ecclesfield are 1841, 1871, and 1901.

Cellars

I've just looked at the photos and read the text and it says the cellars of the houses on Townend St adjacent to the Griffin had long cellars and were blocked off in the 60's. I used to ride cycle speedway on the track adjacent to the White Bear and the cellars were still there in the 70's albeit blocked off half way along. We got big crowds and if it rained, people would hide in the cellars. So did we with our bikes. I reckon the ends were filled in because the road above was a bus route.