Park Square Roundabout

dobberd

Just found this picture on a site of a chap who collects boring postcards.

this one surely fits that bill! looks sort of early 70's not sure though.

Had a look on here and dont think its a reprint.

Now that's a "wacky races" roundabout, remember when they installed all them traffic lights ? This place should have its own postcode.

Guest plain talker

I'd say mid-70s. about 74/5, as the livery on the bus (south yorkshire buses) is biscuit and cream which changed to add "raspberry" as a flash of colour, about 77 (? could be wrong on that)

Yes that's Kelvin over there, and the high-rise are still in existence on top of the hill at Pitsmoor!

it's taken from the Park Hill Flats, near the chimney . You can just see the blinds factory at the bottom of Duke Street on the bottom right hand side.

That bus looks like a Dennis Dominator, if so then SYPTE didn't start taking delivery of them until 1981.

Did anyone notice what appears to be a giant blue big top type tent immediately behind the canal basin? Was the circus in town?

Also Ponds Forge had already been demolished in preparation for the swimming complex

Did anyone notice what appears to be a giant blue big top type tent immediately behind the canal basin? Was the circus in town?

That was me camping, told you I was a big, fat bloke ....

Hang on, 1980, I was thin then ..... :rolleyes:

Guest plain talker

well, we know for definite, that it's post 72/3 after the markets were built, and it's before the demolition of the high rise at pitsmoor, which makes it pre 86.

I'm sure that "SYT " with its biscuit and cream paintwork became "South YorkshireS Transport and had the "plumsand custard" lol paintwork before 1982. I remember the very insistent lol "posessive 's" they added to the front upper right window of the double deckers, upon the rename.

I agree that the bus looks very like a dennis dominator.

Guest transit

well, we know for definite, that it's post 72/3 after the markets were built, and it's before the demolition of the high rise at pitsmoor, which makes it pre 86.

I'm sure that "SYT " with its biscuit and cream paintwork became "South YorkshireS Transport and had the "plumsand custard" lol paintwork before 1982. I remember the very insistent lol "posessive 's" they added to the front upper right window of the double deckers, upon the rename.

I agree that the bus looks very like a dennis dominator.

The date of the picture would be around 81/82 as i worked around Canal Basin before then , and can see the area which was covered over has started to be cleared in preparation for the new offices and major re-vamp of the basin. The main clue is the bus - which is a Mk 1 Metrobus -the first batch was on V reg which was 1980.

Guest transit

The date of the picture would be around 81/82 as i worked around Canal Basin before then , and can see the area which was covered over has started to be cleared in preparation for the new offices and major re-vamp of the basin. The main clue is the bus - which is a Mk 1 Metrobus -the first batch was on V reg which was 1980.

Another clue ,thanks to the bus, is , when delivered new , the brown paint went all around the bottom at the same level . About a year later ,the rear engine shrouds were painted brown (as this one has) to try and lessen (on the eye) the dirt and oil these buses left on that area, confirming the date as 81/82 .A policy which carried on with the arrival of the Dominators as well, the first of which came in 81.

Guest transit

Bottom right - the dark coloured building still exists -beside a tyre shop, but the beige looking strip above which is an underpass to Park SQ. (just below Granellis) got filled in with the Supertram system .

Well my original guess at early 70's was way off then :blink:

Just shows the people on here (apart from me) know their stuff :)

Guest mega_monty

I would like to add that its around 1982, because if you look closely you can see the traffic lights ;-) heres some boring trivia for you now, they were one of the first microprocessor controlled traffic lights to be installed, manufactured by Phillips. I used to work for the company that installed those lights although many years later but they had a large picture in their board room of their engineers and Autin Metro vans on Park Square dated 1982.

I would like to add that its around 1982, because if you look closely you can see the traffic lights ;-) heres some boring trivia for you now, they were one of the first microprocessor controlled traffic lights to be installed, manufactured by Phillips. I used to work for the company that installed those lights although many years later but they had a large picture in their board room of their engineers and Autin Metro vans on Park Square dated 1982.

My guess of 1732 was a bit off then ? lol

Guest mega_monty

My guess of 1732 was a bit off then ? lol

Nah not at all, forgot to say those traffic lights were gas powered and mechanically driven, something Fred Dibnah would have been proud of