Francis S Marrian, Master Brewer

Stuart0742

Received this by email

Hello,I have traced my great grandmother working as a domestic for one Francis S Marrian and wife Sarah, in the 1881 Sheffield Census.Francis has given his occupation as Master Brewer in charge of 100 men.He and wife plus 10 servants lived in Kingfield road off Psalter Lane, in a house called 'Summerhill'.Curiously he is not given a mention on any of the lists for brewers,and idea why?...However,there is one Thomas Marrian mentioned in 1841 Pigots, and again in 1893. Anyone shed a light on this please??

Regards,Rayland Peace

I will reveal all (or what I know) this coming weekend - still a work in progress (unless someone else gets in first)... Breweries that is, not just your man.

Anyone shed a light on this please??

Received this by email Hello,I have traced my great grandmother working as a domestic for one Francis S Marrian and wife Sarah, in the 1881 Sheffield Census.Francis has given his occupation as Master Brewer in charge of 100 men.He and wife plus 10 servants lived in Kingfield road off Psalter Lane, in a house called 'Summerhill'.Curiously he is not given a mention on any of the lists for brewers,and idea why?...However,there is one Thomas Marrian mentioned in 1841 Pigots, and again in 1893. Anyone shed a light on this please?? Regards,Rayland Peace

Hi Stuart0742,

I have found these articals that might help a little.

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Tuesday, January 20, 1891;

LOCAL INTELLIGENCE . News

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Tuesday, January 20, 1891;

Quality work, as ever Syrup, Thank you.

Hi Stuart0742,

Additional :

http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/genealogy/marrian.htm

Hi Stuart0742,

Thomas Marrian from Birmingham,started as a partner in Hinde, Marrian and Bolsover on Spring Street (1837-1841), he left and founded the Royd's Mill Brewery; these were renamed the Burton Weir Brewery (the premises were extended a number of times).

In 1875 Marrian took Thomas Marrian and Francis Skelton Marrian (his sons) and Francis Markham Tindall into partnership; Tindall having been with the organisation for twenty years. Tindall moved into Thomas Marrian's house at the brewery when T Marrian (Sen.) bought Thurcroft, nr. Rotherham in 1864.

Thomas Marrian Senior died 15th August 1883, at Thurcroft Hall, nr. Rotherham. His eldest son Thomas suceeded him and also lived at Thurcroft.

Francis Skelton Marrian lived at Summerhill, near Sharrow.

So, Thomas Marrian (Sen.) presumably in charge until his death; his eldest son succeeds him and by the winter of 1889 F M Tindall is the Managing Director of Thomas Marrian & Co. Ltd.

F S Marrian, I don't think, ever got to play much of a part and with Syrup's excellent finds, I think we can see why.

Received this by email

Hello,I have traced my great grandmother working as a domestic for one Francis S Marrian and wife Sarah, in the 1881 Sheffield Census.Francis has given his occupation as Master Brewer in charge of 100 men.He and wife plus 10 servants lived in Kingfield road off Psalter Lane, in a house called 'Summerhill'.Curiously he is not given a mention on any of the lists for brewers,and idea why?...However,there is one Thomas Marrian mentioned in 1841 Pigots, and again in 1893. Anyone shed a light on this please??

Regards,Rayland Peace

many thanks to all those who helped shed light on Francis S Marrian,s death.

I,m well impressed with your speediness!!

Just one thing,tho. The newspaper obituary mentioned that on relinquishing the Directorship of his Brewery,he then moved towards mixing with 'Certain local circles', up to his death.

Just what would these 'Certain local circles' comprise of??? Drinking clubs, prostitution,gambling?

All ideas will be well received, and thanks again.