Quiz Question...

Sheffield History

Here's one for all Sheffielders

Who is - William de Lovetot ??

What did he do that was so significant for the city ?

What information can we find about him ?

This guy should be a Sheffield legend and hero in my opinion...

Indeed :rolleyes:

I haven't looked into him in any great detail but the things I've read so far have led me to admire him - especially if he did it all out of just wanting to...

I just playing a waiting game, my "history" is older that some other members history ... be a shame to answer too early

Guest cheekymonkey

William de Lovetot, lord of Hallamshire was a Norman baron from Huntingdonshire, often credited as the founder of Sheffield, England.

It is unknown when De Lovetot acquired an interest in the manor of Hallamshire, but by the early 12th century (in the reign of Henry I) he was in possession of Hallam, Attercliffe, Sheffield, Grimesthorpe, Greasbrough and Worksop. He also had interests in Handsworth, Treeton, and Whiston. He founded a priory at Worksop c.1103 and may have founded the parish church in Sheffield at around this time. Lovetot is credited with the building of a motte and bailey castle in Sheffield. Along with the castle a hospital was established at what is still called "Spital Hill", a mill was built beside the River Don, and a bridge called Lady's Bridge was constructed where there had previously only been a ford across the river. Little is known of Sheffield prior to Lovetot, but these developments established Sheffield as the main town in Hallamshire.

Following the death of William de Lovetot the manor of Hallamshire passed to his son Richard de Lovetot and then his son William de Lovetot before being passed to Gerard de Furnival by his marriage to Maud de Lovetot in about 1204.

I'm sure we have uncovered more about William since this question was first posted, one for the link fairies maybe ...

I'm sure we have uncovered more about William since this question was first posted, one for the link fairies maybe ...

OK so a link fairy leaps into action to answer this request and produces a link within a link, a double link.

The link below takes you to the Norfolk School topic where Lovetot was one of the houses in the school house system.

Lovetot

The post in this topic, #278 contains a link to an external website with information about the history of the Lovetot family.

OK so a link fairy leaps into action to answer this request and produces a link within a link, a double link.

The link below takes you to the Norfolk School topic where Lovetot was one of the houses in the school house system.

Lovetot

The post in this topic, #278 contains a link to an external website with information about the history of the Lovetot family.

Oh what a tangled web we weave ....! he he

Oh what a tangled web we weave ....! he he

I see it more as killing 2 birds with one stone.

Why go to the trouble of posting 2 links when just by following one link it takes you to the second link.

May look like a tangled web but hopefully for anyone following the links the topic should flow more smoothly.

I see it more as killing 2 birds with one stone.

Why go to the trouble of posting 2 links when just by following one link it takes you to the second link.

May look like a tangled web but hopefully for anyone following the links the topic should flow more smoothly.

Not meant as a criticism Dave, just shows how many topics on here have implications/common ground with each other.

Lovetot was also one of the houses at Greystone's school if my memory serves me well. Lovetot, Furnival, Talbot and Howard - I was in Howard and it had a blue band. Don't you remember some rubbish as you get older? but forget what you opened the cupboard door for!! :blink:

Lovetot was also one of the houses at Greystone's school if my memory serves me well. Lovetot, Furnival, Talbot and Howard - I was in Howard and it had a blue band. Don't you remember some rubbish as you get older? but forget what you opened the cupboard door for!! :blink:

The Norfolk Junior school houses were Lovetot, Funival, Shrewsbury (which is the Talbot family) and Neville.

Clearly local schools liked chosing local historical landowning barons to represent their house system then.