Lees House, Norton Lees

Guest mgc

Beckworth died in 1949.  In 1921 he was gardener for George Howson J.P., chairman of Truswell's Brewery, at 2 Tapton Park Road. At the time he was living at 137 Tipton Street with his wife Alice Eva Hayes.

Sorry for the delay in replying Edmund. That's very kind of you to send this information. I only have information of him gardening at The Lees.

Beckworth (or "Beckuth" as he was known to his family) apparently was a very likeable friendly chap, my mother remembers him well, he used to help mum push my pram up Crookes. he and his wife Alice didn't have any children.

He was the younger brother of Elizabeth Hayes who married late in life to Thomas Greatbatch. Elizabeth and Thomas Greatbatch "adopted" my father in 1923 from the Sheffield Workhouse where his biological father had placed him after his biological mother Ethel Wildgoose nee Goodison had died just 5 weeks after my father's birth. Ethel was a WW1 widow and,  his bilogical father John Henry Eaton was still legally married to someone else.

If anyone is researching these people I'd be willing to share any details I have.

Regards,

Duffems