Sheffield's Weather

AdrianM

Late notice (for which I apologise) of an event next week - the launch of 'Sheffield's Weather' - or to give it an even less attractive title 'Sorby Record Special Series no 16' (see attached piccy). Some of you may recall my enquiries a few months ago on this forum - well, some of the info has found its way into the book and it is due back from the printers this week!!!! Which will be 'useful' since there is a launch next week (6:30pm Tuesday 10th at the Town Hall) as part of Environment Weeks - the details are at http://www.sheffieldenvironment.org/event/715-sheffields-weather - I think it is a just-turn-up event, but they are collecting numbers so do let them know if you might be there.

Though much of the book is graphs and numbers (my bit!), the data from Weston Park Weather Station does go back to 1882, so it is possibly to identify some notable years, hot summers and bad winters. There are sections covering the history of the weather station and of weather recording from the 18th century to the present (written by Gaynor Boon who ran the weather station for many years). And the final section is a list of quotes and cuttings relating to events in the area - the earliest I found was 1536! There are some fascinating stories (I liked the one about gooseberries being roasted by the sun) as well as more recent events that people will remember (Oh! and there are pictures, many provided by Sheffield Newspapers).

Say hello if you do get there.

Adrian

Late notice (for which I apologise) of an event next week - the launch of 'Sheffield's Weather' - or to give it an even less attractive title 'Sorby Record Special Series no 16' (see attached piccy). Some of you may recall my enquiries a few months ago on this forum - well, some of the info has found its way into the book and it is due back from the printers this week!!!! Which will be 'useful' since there is a launch next week (6:30pm Tuesday 10th at the Town Hall) as part of Environment Weeks - the details are at http://www.sheffieldenvironment.org/event/715-sheffields-weather - I think it is a just-turn-up event, but they are collecting numbers so do let them know if you might be there.

Though much of the book is graphs and numbers (my bit!), the data from Weston Park Weather Station does go back to 1882, so it is possibly to identify some notable years, hot summers and bad winters. There are sections covering the history of the weather station and of weather recording from the 18th century to the present (written by Gaynor Boon who ran the weather station for many years). And the final section is a list of quotes and cuttings relating to events in the area - the earliest I found was 1536! There are some fascinating stories (I liked the one about gooseberries being roasted by the sun) as well as more recent events that people will remember (Oh! and there are pictures, many provided by Sheffield Newspapers).

Say hello if you do get there.

Adrian

Thanks for the update and invite AdrianM, it is appreciated.

I don't know if I can get there yet but if there any pictures of the devastation caused by the 1962 Sheffield gale I would be very interested.

Thanks for the update and invite AdrianM, it is appreciated.

I don't know if I can get there yet but if there any pictures of the devastation caused by the 1962 Sheffield gale I would be very interested.

There are a couple of pictures of the gale damage plus the anemograph trace from the weather station. We had more pictures, but there was a lot to cover.

A