Pork Butchers

I copied the Pork Butchers' list to my computer and now have a list I can refer to whenever I want. At first I wanted to sift out the German Pork Butchers but decided not to in case some had angicized their names.

On going through it, I noticed Hermann Fisher on the 1871 Census, pork butcher, at 8 Bridgegate, Rotherham. Hermann was my great grandfather and I have searched for him on the 1871 census in vain. He died in 1875 and my great grandmother took her two boys to Kocherstetten in Germany and whilst there they were confirmed.

The address on his death certificate is High Street, Mexborough.

Hermann obviously anglicized his name, too, as he was born Hermann Pfisterer.

RichardB

I copied the Pork Butchers' list to my computer and now have a list I can refer to whenever I want. At first I wanted to sift out the German Pork Butchers but decided not to in case some had angicized their names.

On going through it, I noticed Hermann Fisher on the 1871 Census, pork butcher, at 8 Bridgegate, Rotherham. Hermann was my great grandfather and I have searched for him on the 1871 census in vain. He died in 1875 and my great grandmother took her two boys to Kocherstetten in Germany and whilst there they were confirmed.

The address on his death certificate is High Street, Mexborough.

Hermann obviously anglicized his name, too, as he was born Hermann Pfisterer.

Pfisterer should be dead easy to find - but its not, nor is Hermann Fisher ...

Pfisterer should be dead easy to find - but its not, nor is Hermann Fisher ...

Tell me about it!!

I found Hermann Pfisterer on the 1861 Census in Bradford, living with Christian Lindenberger and his wife, Louisa. His relation to the Head was brother-in-law, so bingo! He was transcribed as Plisterer. John Heinzmann was there in 1881, married to Friederike Pfisterer and her brother, Louis Pfisterer, married to Christina Bauer. The Heinzmanns left for Northwich, followed by my grandfather and Louis Pfisterer went to Widnes as did Christina's brother, John Bauer. Hermann was probably Friederike and Louis Pfisterer's uncle.

They all came from the Hohelohe region in Baden-Württemberg in Germany. These immigrants married into Hohenlohe families, were fairly to extremely successful in their chosen profession as pork butchers and over the years sent for reinforcement from brothers, sisters, cousins and friends to help them either as child nurses, domestic servants, apprentice butchers, etc.

I have help in the form of a friend in Germany in return for which I help to "dig up" some of the Hohenlohe ancestors in England so the Directories' list is very helpful to me indeed.

• 5 years later...
Guest fireblademalc

We should remember that exhaustive as these lists appear, they only reflect the businesses who subscribed to these indexes and I suspect there was a significant number who didn't subscribe.

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a little more about my great, great, great grandfather, Louis Metzger. I appreciate this thread is quite old now, but if you have any information on him it would be greatly received.

I have very few details, but this is what i've dug up:

When Louis Metzger, born on 30 November 1838 in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, their father, Ludwig, was 43, and their mother, Barbara, was 41. He had six children with Karolin Stunder, one child with Sophia Hanselman, and one other child. He died on 27 April 1924 at the age of 85.

Thanks!

Laura