Urgent - Travellers, Wadsley Bridge

vox

Posted in The Star

Published on Wednesday 13 April 2011 09:06

I support the Sainsburys/Fletchers project on Penistone Road North, not least for its job opportunities. But there is a side of this that causes some concern.

The development will require the demolition of the Travellers Inn, one of the few remaining focal points of the old Wadsley Bridge.

In particular a fitting location has to be found for its handsome stone fireplace (above), bearing the initials GC (a member of the Carr family, I understand) and the date of 1697.

The fireplace was saved and incorporated in a rebuild of the pub in the 19th century.

Kelham Island Museum and Museums Sheffield have been approached over the fireplace, which Sainsbury's say can be salvaged.

It's a pity it could not be incorporated in, say, a restaurant in the new development or in the dining area in Weston Park. The main thing is that this piece of 300-year-old 'made in Sheffield' heritage should be saved.

After all, we've striven night and day to save Park Hill!

Ron Clayton, S6

David Blunkett and Councillor Roger Davison are amongst supporters who have made representations.

You can add your support by emailing Councillor Davison roger.davison@sheffield.gov.uk

I suggest something on the lines of:

Historic fireplace at theTravellers Inn, Wadsley Bridge

I would like to express my support for the attempt to save this piece of Sheffield's history.

Not much time left I'm afraid (deadline28th April) so if you want to help, do it now.

Thanks in anticipation.

---------------------------------------

SheffieldHistory link

Posted in The Star

I support the Sainsburys/Fletchers project on Penistone Road North, not least for its job opportunities. But there is a side of this that causes some concern.

The development will require the demolition of the Travellers Inn, one of the few remaining focal points of the old Wadsley Bridge.

In particular a fitting location has to be found for its handsome stone fireplace (above), bearing the initials GC (a member of the Carr family, I understand) and the date of 1697.

The fireplace was saved and incorporated in a rebuild of the pub in the 19th century.

Kelham Island Museum and Museums Sheffield have been approached over the fireplace, which Sainsbury's say can be salvaged.

It's a pity it could not be incorporated in, say, a restaurant in the new development or in the dining area in Weston Park. The main thing is that this piece of 300-year-old 'made in Sheffield' heritage should be saved.

Ron Clayton, S6

David Blunkett and Councillor Roger Davison are amongst supporters who have made representations.

You can add your support by emailing Councillor Davison roger.davison@sheffield.gov.uk

I would like to express my support for the attempt to save this piece of Sheffield's history.

Not much time left I'm afraid (deadline28th April) so if you want to help, do it now.

Thanks in anticipation.

SheffieldHistory link

Posted in The Star

Ron Clayton, S6

Thanks in anticipation.

SheffieldHistory link

Here's the information about the initials GC which stand for George Carr of Wadlsey Bridge, It would appear that this inn stands on the site of a much older building quite possibly predating this fireplace.

In Article The Carr's of Southey and Dublin by S.O.Addy. M.A. pp273-294 The late Sir Alfred Scott-Gatty noticed that the name of Carr or Ker first appears in the Court Rolls of the Manor of Sheffield in 1276 when Thomas del Ker paid a fine of 20d to be admitted to a rood in Wardsend.This place adjoins Wadsley Bridge, where the chief residence of the Carr's was for at least 150 years.The direct ancestor of the family was William del Carre who was living in 1427. he married JOhanna dau and heir of Thomas Emson, and had a son Thomas, who had a son William living in 1482, who by his wife, Alice, had 3 sons, John, Thomas

and Henry. John the eldest had issue of a son William who in turn had issue James Carr, and also John Carr a younger son.We shall begin where Sir Alfred left off - with the above named James Carr, who

was of Southey Hall in Ecclesfield born 1540, and 10th Oct 1566 married at Ecclesfield to Helen Gosling. By her he had 2 sons, William b 1578 and Ralph b 1580. James Carr was a man of considerable wealth, the owner of Southey Hall and of other estates in the parishes of Ecclesfield, Sheffield and Darton. There is a carving in Ecclesfield Church inscribes - James Carre and Ellyne his wyffe of Southae made these stalles Anno D. 1578. He was the owner of the rectorial tithes for Darton.On an unknown day in 1613 William the elder son died, there is a deed dated 21st June 1613 whereby after reserving a life interest to himself, James Carr settled all his freehold messuages and tenements in Ecclesfield and Sheffield in trust to himself for life, with remainder to his granddaughters for 11 years, and with ultimate remainder to his grandson George in fee simple. At the time of his father's death, George Carr was 11 years old, and his grandfather about 73. At the age of 18 George had found work in Ireland. p 276 He apparently later became Sir George Carr ; Clerk of the Hanaper and Secretary of State in Ireland. buried in St. Patrick's Cathedral Dublin. He married the daughter of Sir Robert Meredith, Chancellor of the Exchequer in Ireland. His son was Thomas Carr of Dunmore co Kildare who died befire 1692. His son was Charles Carr who became Bishop of Killaloe in 1721 will proved 6th Feb1739. In 1721 he was admitted heir to lands at Shiregreen lately held by his brother Thomas Carr deceased of Eastwood.

Another branch of the family descended from James Carr of Southey, yeoman and Rector of Darton who had married Helen Gosling 21st oct 1566.His 2nd son Ralph Carr of Wadsley Bridge b 1580 married Margaret Gosling. He was living at Netherhalgh in Darton in 1617. Will 24th Jan 1634/5 proved at York, 6th Oct 1635. He had a son William yeoman and innkeeper bapt 2nd Sept 1610 at Ecclesfield, he married a lady called Ann. his will was 24th March 1661/2 proved York 11th Nov.He had a son Ralph who married Ann, they in turn had a son William who was buried at Ecclesfield 10th Feb 1685-6. Their son George who was living in 1726 was bapt at Ecclesfield in March 1665/6. he had the lease of Wadsley Bridge from Bishop Carr.

Here's the information about the initials GC which stand for George Carr of Wadlsey Bridge, It would appear that this inn stands on the site of a much older building quite possibly predating this fireplace.

In Article The Carr's of Southey and Dublin by S.O.Addy. M.A. pp273-294 The late Sir Alfred Scott-Gatty noticed that the name of Carr or Ker first appears in the Court Rolls of the Manor of Sheffield in 1276 when Thomas del Ker paid a fine of 20d to be admitted to a rood in Wardsend.This place adjoins Wadsley Bridge, where the chief residence of the Carr's was for at least 150 years.The direct ancestor of the family was William del Carre who was living in 1427. he married JOhanna dau and heir of Thomas Emson, and had a son Thomas, who had a son William living in 1482, who by his wife, Alice, had 3 sons, John, Thomas

and Henry. John the eldest had issue of a son William who in turn had issue James Carr, and also John Carr a younger son.We shall begin where Sir Alfred left off - with the above named James Carr, who

was of Southey Hall in Ecclesfield born 1540, and 10th Oct 1566 married at Ecclesfield to Helen Gosling. By her he had 2 sons, William b 1578 and Ralph b 1580. James Carr was a man of considerable wealth, the owner of Southey Hall and of other estates in the parishes of Ecclesfield, Sheffield and Darton. There is a carving in Ecclesfield Church inscribes - James Carre and Ellyne his wyffe of Southae made these stalles Anno D. 1578. He was the owner of the rectorial tithes for Darton.On an unknown day in 1613 William the elder son died, there is a deed dated 21st June 1613 whereby after reserving a life interest to himself, James Carr settled all his freehold messuages and tenements in Ecclesfield and Sheffield in trust to himself for life, with remainder to his granddaughters for 11 years, and with ultimate remainder to his grandson George in fee simple. At the time of his father's death, George Carr was 11 years old, and his grandfather about 73. At the age of 18 George had found work in Ireland. p 276 He apparently later became Sir George Carr ; Clerk of the Hanaper and Secretary of State in Ireland. buried in St. Patrick's Cathedral Dublin. He married the daughter of Sir Robert Meredith, Chancellor of the Exchequer in Ireland. His son was Thomas Carr of Dunmore co Kildare who died befire 1692. His son was Charles Carr who became Bishop of Killaloe in 1721 will proved 6th Feb1739. In 1721 he was admitted heir to lands at Shiregreen lately held by his brother Thomas Carr deceased of Eastwood.

Another branch of the family descended from James Carr of Southey, yeoman and Rector of Darton who had married Helen Gosling 21st oct 1566.His 2nd son Ralph Carr of Wadsley Bridge b 1580 married Margaret Gosling. He was living at Netherhalgh in Darton in 1617. Will 24th Jan 1634/5 proved at York, 6th Oct 1635. He had a son William yeoman and innkeeper bapt 2nd Sept 1610 at Ecclesfield, he married a lady called Ann. his will was 24th March 1661/2 proved York 11th Nov.He had a son Ralph who married Ann, they in turn had a son William who was buried at Ecclesfield 10th Feb 1685-6. Their son George who was living in 1726 was bapt at Ecclesfield in March 1665/6. he had the lease of Wadsley Bridge from Bishop Carr.

• Like 1

Here are some notes of documents involving the property.

Counterpart of lease YWD 1197/4 10 April, 1702

These documents are held at Sheffield Archives

Contents:

Thomas Carr of Dublin esquire to George Carr of Wadsley, Yorkshire Bridge yeoman. A messuage at Wadsley, Yorkshire Bridge with the Little Meadow, the Stony Croft, the Old Field alias Birkinfield, the Croft upon the Hill and Limestone Greene, and four closes, near Southey, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire called Parson Field, Oate Lands, the Schoolhouse Field and Dolphin Storth, with a cottage built on Dolphin Storth, for 21 years at £27.10.0. p.a

Counterpart lease YWD 1197/5 11 August, 1721

Contents:

Charles, Lord Bishop of Killaloe in Ireland, to George Carr of Wadsley, Yorkshire Bridge, yeoman. The messuage at Wadsley, Yorkshire Bridge and land at Southey Ecclesfield, Yorkshire as before, for 31 years at £55 p.a

Rents YWD 1197/9 7 June, 1786

Contents:

Thomas Carr son of Dr. Thomas Carr purchases chief rents issuing from messuages called Wadsley, Yorkshire Bridge Inn, Scraith Land, Souther Hall and Shire Green, for £44.5.10

Latest from Ron via email

An update- In principle it has been agreed by Sainsburys and Sheffield Museums Trust that, if the planning application goes ahead[due to be heard on the 31st of May] the fireplace can be salvaged and taken to Kelham Island Museum. An interesting sidepiece to this is that there is a fire place of 1696 at the Old Heavygate Inn at Walkley, on the traditional old packhorse route. Like the Travellers the Heavygate has recently been turned down for listing because of modern alterations to the building. Another situation which needs to be monitored, my regards to all your Forum Members, Ron

Update - PDF Attached

Thank you for your email below. English Heritage was asked to consider The Travellers Inn, 72 Penistone Road North, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield for possible designation back in July 2010. Following our assessment of the building the Secretary of State for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport decided not to list the building on 24 January 2011. I have attached our Advice Report for this case which gives the reasons for this decision.

I hope this is useful to you and please do contact me if you have any further queries.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Ellis

Designation Co-ordinator, North

English Heritage

Travellers Inn, 72 Penistone Road North, Sheffield (Advice).pdf

I think their assessment is probably fair in view of all the alterations. Mind you I have heard a historian who thought there was actually more there than English Heritage says.

It does recommend archeaological investigation of the site. I think its sad no matter how much the building has been mucked about that a piece of historic Wadsley will have gone and nothing to mark the old coaching road and its inn.

It does recommend archeaological investigation of the site. I think its sad no matter how much the building has been mucked about that a piece of historic Wadsley will have gone and nothing to mark the old coaching 't road and its inn.

I won't be buying any "Travellers Inn" flavoured crisps ...