Numbering 'back To Back' Houses

saw119

Can anyone here help me to understand the the numbering on back to back housing in Sheffield? I have relatives that lived on Scotland Street in the early 19th century. The census and Trade directories give different addresses for them but they are clearly the same people. I think that back to back housing had a court and then house number within that court. Does anyone know how these things worked?

Can anyone here help me to understand the the numbering on back to back housing in Sheffield? I have relatives that lived on Scotland Street in the early 19th century. The census and Trade directories give different addresses for them but they are clearly the same people. I think that back to back housing had a court and then house number within that court. Does anyone know how these things worked?

This topic has cropped up before: hopefully this will be of assistance, although it might just cause more confusion ;-). There is also some digression away from the original question (nothing new there then), so it is useful to read the whole thread.

How did Court Addresses Work?

Knowing many people who lived in these back to backs including myself and knowing what our

addresses were , the court came before the house number.

But having said that you can find many pieces of history were it is written the other way round but they

did tend to state eg: 6hse 3crt as usually it would be 3/6.

But it will be argued more over the years as the people who remember their old addresses fade away.

I only ask because no court is explicitly mentioned, just a number. Now my experience of Scotland Street is that it was nearly all back to back from the maps and pictures I've seen.

Knowing many people who lived in these back to backs including myself and knowing what our

addresses were , the court came before the house number.

But having said that you can find many pieces of history were it is written the other way round but they

did tend to state eg: 6hse 3crt as usually it would be 3/6.

But it will be argued more over the years as the people who remember their old addresses fade away.

Thank you - that served as a memory jogger and I have had a search through some old certificates and found that my grandmother (deceased) lived at 4/4 Lambert Street, so now I understand what is means (its not showing the word "court" either).

Guest daveyboy66

Thank you - that served as a memory jogger and I have had a search through some old certificates and found that my grandmother (deceased) lived at 4/4 Lambert Street, so now I understand what is means (its not showing the word "court" either).

When i was a lad we lived at the bottom of Eccleshall Rd by the Wards brewery...our address was 3 court 1 Renton St