All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi Dan I know this is a late post on this thread but it seems you and I are related. John Henry Bunting was my Great Great Grandfather and I would be very interested to see something of his mothers diaries that you mention. Get in touch if you can Johnstone
  3. Yesterday
  4. Wow this could open up a whole can of worms! The difference in wheels comes about due to the way trains run on rails, the profile makes up a coning angle which keeps the wheels running along the rail head, the flanges have little to do under normal conditions, only coming into play on tight curves and poor track. Trams on the other hand have a much flatter wheel profile so rely more on the flanges as curves are generally tighter. Tram flanges are much shallower than railway flanges and the 'tread' is also much less. A tram wheel is generally thinner than a railway wheel. At low speed this doesn't really matter, but get up to a decent speed and the wheels will start to 'hunt', it will become very uncomfortable to ride on and comes with a higher risk of derailment. You are quite correct that Glasgow used wagons on tramway track, they reduced the gauge to 4' 7 3/4" and the wheels ran on the flanges, but only at low speed. Weymouth 'tramway' was really a railway laid in the road, very wide flange way, and not made up of traditional tramway rail but railway track with a separate continuous check rail, similar to what you would find in goods yards. The remaining bits of the tram trains involved in the crashes have gone back to Stadtler/Vossloh for repair. Again you are correct that tram drivers drive 'line of site' and should be prepared to stop in the distance they can see, but on a signal controlled junction they effectively are given a 'green light' as all traffic is supposed to have stopped. The first incident had the tram hit the lorry just behind the cab. I believe visibility at the junction was called into question and it is interesting that the Council installed new signals after the second accident. Speaking recently to a Supertram driver it seem the Siemens vehicles have finer control than the tram trains and respond better. As far as I am aware the tram trains have both track brakes and auto sanders, but that still relies on the driver to hit the emergency brakes, and if you get a proceed signal you are probably not expecting someone to jump the lights. As far as the 'trial' is concerned it is totally flawed. Apart from the vast increase in cost, mostly because Network Rail underestimated the cost of building tram trains into the existing signalling, the vehicles were built to operate on 750V DC and 25kV AC, but they only run on the 750 as NR didn't install the higher voltage, so what has it proved? On the continent they regularly operate the 'tram train' principle, it is nothing new, so why did we need a 'trial'. Sits down and waits for the bullets to fly!! Nigel L
  5. Not sure but Prussion Blue springs to mind. I will probably be at Crich on Tuesday so will check what paint is used on 74 (pre-war livery) and 510 (post war livery). The cream Supertram used is pretty close, but the blue is rubbish, it's probably Oxford Blue which is the darker blue the stops used to be painted in! Nigel L
  6. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nick-clegg-backs-victorian-society-call-for-return-of-crimea-monument-in-sheffield-10479118.html%3Famp
  7. Taken from a Facebook post.. Forresters. Ref: 914. 274 S. "Erected in Memory of the Sheffield soldiers and sailors whose lives were lost in The Crimea. The guns at the base of the monument were captured from the Russians. This striking monument is a column standing on a pedestal of Darley Dale stone, and surmounted by a statue of our late beloved Queen Victoria, as "Honour."The funds were raised by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Cambridge."
  8. Harry Epworth Allen deserves to be much better known in his home city. Here's a photo of him at work and some of his paintings of Derbyshire. "Derbyshire Walls". The only artwork by Harry Allen owned by the city. It was on display at the Graves until this year, no idea why it was removed. The view is looking towards Foolow and Longstone Edge "Burning Limestone", the view is Stoney Middleton "Mayfield Valley in Winter" "The Road to the Hills", unidentified location, but it has to be the Peak District. This one is on display in Derby Art Gallery.
  9. Last week
  10. If the sign for Chippinghouse Rd has been removed illegally, the council and the police should be involved. As for the old street lights loads of them were delivered to farm just outside Sheffield to be sold on, not by Amey but by their employees, when the Wicker was being improved ? the work took far longer than planned for because the workers were removing the old tramlines to be sold as scrap. The little lane at the rear of the Rutland pub hundreds of cobbles were removed and sold on instead of replacing them.
  11. I used to be in there every Thursday and Friday night at one bit. Mid/late 70s, coach loads of women from all over the north, best time of my life. An ex used to work behind the bar, I used to get a stein of lager for the price of a half. I could get ratted for £2. It got spoiled when it turned into a strip joint.
  12. I used to go to school with the Landlord's son, Stephen Pickering. That was in the mid 70s.
  13. As far as I know all the tram trains are fitted with the signalling systems they need, but only 4 at a time are supposed to have the 'railway' wheelsets. There is apparently a 5th set of spare 'railway' wheels, should they be needed. Which I guess they probably have been! The wheel profiles are interesting because, as Lemmy said, a compromise profile was designed for the tram-train route vehicles. Apparently ordinary tram wheels can't run on Network Rail and ordinary train wheels can't run on the old Supertram network. I say 'old' because even the compromise wheels can't run on the grooved street track which existed on most of the system. However with the recent rail replacement work I would hope they've had enough foresight to change the rail so compromise wheelsets will eventually be able to work everywhere. Are you confused yet? You will be...! Read on... Now... two out of the 7 tram trains have been onvolved in fairly serious accidents, strangely both in almost the same place. This has resulted in the vehicles involved being split up, with the good end and mid section of one tram-train being coupled to the undamaged end of the other one. The swapped end has been renumbered to carry the same fleet number as the good end and mid section, so this vehicle isn't completely the vehicle it was when it entered service. Meanwhile the smashed up ends and other mid section have been put together and I believe they have now been sent back to Bombardier, who I think ought to send them back with bull-bars fitted! As to the reasons for the accidents, I can only comment on the first one because I don't know the full details of the second. Apparently the lorry ran a red light. However the tram hit it in the side, so the tram hit the lorry, the lorry did NOT hit the tram. Although the lorry driver has been blaimed for the accident, I don't think this is entirely correct or fair. Trams (unlike trains) should always be driven on sight. In other words, the driver should only drive to what he or she can actually see ahead of them, just like road vehicles. Trains are not operated on line of sight, being totally reliant on signals. At the time of the incident, the tram-train was acting as a TRAM on the TRAMWAY, so should have been operating according to line of sight and should have been able to stop for any obstacles that came into view. As the tram hit the side of the lorry, which was already crossing the line, I believe the tram should have been able to stop. The fact it didn't opens up a whole host of questions. Was it travelling too fast? Did the driver apply the brakes? Did the brakes work? It seems strange that the Siemens built trams have been operating over that junction for over two decades without any major incidents, but the tram-trains have suffered two very similar incidents within a couple of months. One thing I'm not sure of is how the braking system of the tram-trains works. The Siemens trams have a number of braking systems, including magnetic track brakes, which are long flat shoes that clamp down directly onto the track when activated. These are VERY effective and are not normally used except in an emergency because they could easily catapult the passengers through the windscreen. That's how good they are! But do tram-trains also have them? If they don't, that will definitely mean they can't stop as quickly. Maybe MadAnnie or Lemmy could enlighten me? Finally... The whole 'experiment' is nonsence anyway! In reality wheel profiles don't actually matter all that much. provided the flange of the wheel will fit in the slot of grooved track, pretty much anything will work. It might not be ideal, but it will work. Historically this has been proved time and time again. Railway coal wagons used to make extensive use of the old Glasgow tramway. All they did in Glasgow was lay the tram tracks a quarter inch further apart so the railway wagons with their deeper flanges ran in the bottom of the grooves, not on the rail head. Also the Blackpool Loco, now at Crich, was originally used to haul yet more coal wagons on the Blackpool system, mainly between Copse Road Deopt in Fleetwood and a coal yard at Thornton Gate. It's not rocket science to make a tram run on a railway or a train on a tramway (Weymouth Quay anyone?)
  14. I'm currently in the process of repainting a box trailer that I tow behind my van and thought it would be a bit of fun to paint it in the old Sheffield tram colours. I know they were always blue and cream (we'll not talk about the green experiment) but what shades were they? I have a feeling the blue got lighter over the years, but can't be sure. Was the pre-war livery a darker blue than the postw ar style on the Roberts cars etc? There are a couple of modern buses running around that look like they've got it pretty much spot on. At the very least they're a lot closer than the blue and cream Supertram, which I'm pretty sure is just about as wrong as it's possible to be. If only I could get the buses to keep still long enough to hold up a colour chart against them!
  15. I've often wondered where all the old air raid sirens went? There must have been loads of them during the war and I assume at least some were retained in case of attack during the cold war. (Is there one in Threads?) I've only seen two in my whole life. I found one being kept outside a shed at the East Anglia Transport Museum about 20 years ago and a few years back I spotted another on top of a pole near Waterloo Station in London. But where are the Sheffield examples?
  16. Have you had a look in Heeley Bank Antique Centre? Last time I looked there were quite a few old street signs in there. No doubt Amey / whoever has replaced them these days get a few quid for them, like they did the lamp posts! Not to mention the hefty cash payout for providing a plastic replacement.
  17. There was a very good picture of the area on the excellent 2015 calendar by SteveHB which also shows the Roberts Brothers building, another one that was replaced by boring concrete. Note the plaque "The Moor Head 1882" For me I would just prefer the whole lot back. https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/15346-sheffield-history-calendar-2015/?tab=comments#comment-131179
  18. Hello. I just recently bought a War Department “broad arrow” dessert spoon with a for issue date of 1954. It took very little time for me to become stumped over whom might be the maker with the “W.S.Ltd” makers mark. During WWII, Sheffield was Government directed to continue being the centre for British cutlery manufacture and even some Birmingham companies needed to move to Sheffield in remain in that business. I am assuming “W.S.Ltd” was based in Sheffield as it was less than 10 years from the end of the War and am hoping that if that was the case there maybe Forum members who know or could speculate on the full maker’s name. I have images in my “collection” of 2 other similarly dated “broad arrow” pieces of cutlery and I hope the makers of these items might be identified as well. From 1950 there is a spoon with “M.S.Ltd” for its maker’s mark and from 1955 there is a fork with the maker’s mark “F.G.& S”. Like with my just purchased spoon, these makers may not be Sheffield based but I am hoping they are and there may be memories of company names. From information I was given in response to an earlier post, I understand the complex numbers on the items, are part of a “Nato” stock number. You may have noticed the 2 spoon marks have the same C.C.0731 on. Kalfred
  19. I rember that sign well, has it been stolen or is it the council who are responsible for it's removal, these old signs should be looked after. I did notice that in Cumberland Street new signs have been placed just over six foot above the pavement, just within reach of the grafitti fraternity, you couldn't make it up.
  20. The Chippinghouse Rd sign has 'disappeared' after a recent conversion. The Graham Rd sign survives as does one on Spital St (crossing Spital Hill).
  21. Advertising postcard on Ebay pertaining to the 1905 entry Cannon Hotel - Vernon H. Ryde. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/383203986868?_trksid=p1.c100423.m3621&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160928093218%26meid%3D0bd60a7038c94509bc8f5317bc23a199%26pid%3D100423%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26b%3D1%26sd%3D392465102312%26itm%3D383203986868%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D1&ul_noapp=true
  22. A couple of Picture Sheffield Photographs of what the area opposite the Pepper Pot building was like before and after development in the 1890s, http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=Pinstone+street&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%Pinstone%%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%street%%3B And a map of the same area in 1890 https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Mp/435500/387500/13/10045a3
  23. Earlier
  24. Are those spittoons at the base of the bar?
  25. I have searched the sport section of Sheffield History for details of the title without success Has anyone information re the route details of this race last run in 1969 ?
  26. boginspro

UFO"S

That's Homan and Company of Cincinnati and Chicago 1847 - 1941. The word Sheffield was used on a lot of USA plated ware (Sheffield Design Made In USA) but according to the site linked to below they were one of the first to stop using it. It's hard to tell what size the object is but it looks like a crumb tray so presumably would have originally come with a crumber or brush. "The Seventeenth Annual A.N.R.J.A. Gathering Held at Cincinnati Aug, 29-Sept. 1, 1922 The Homan Mfg. Co., Cincinnati, featured Homan Plate in hollow ware. One of the first to abandon the use of "Sheffield" on their nickel plated ware, they have already made the Homan Plate stand for quality. The most favorable attention was given by all to the new line of electric candle sticks which they have recently placed on the market. Eighteen styles of these were shown. A large line of hollow ware was exhibited and much favorable comment was made for the table mats which they manufacture to match in design the baskets and bowls. Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th September 1922" https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=45678
  27. Thanks History Dude, found them here ------- ------------- and here EDIT --and here -- EDIT AGAIN --- Nice to here that Patrick is OK again after his recent serious illness.
  28. Morning folks, I just posted a new podcast episode. My last day at Firth Park Comprehensive and a trip to see John Cooper Clarke at The Limit club, back in the summer of 1979. Link to listen here: http://smarturl.it/MyLifeInTheMosh Enjoy! Dodger
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?