DaveH

The Manor Cinema, Manor Top

65 posts in this topic

I would imagine that this recess was for the sound speakers, being behind the screen.

Could it be something to do with making room for the frame of a CinemaScope screen ?

Early 80's maybe it was used as an outdoor cinema drive through? Certainly rings a bell.

I spent quite a bit of my youth either in or outside the Manor, there was a very spacious  Snooker Hall beneath the cinema run by an old chap named Tom, if I recall correctly it had twelve tables with two rooms off the main hall. We used to go into the cinema halfway through as the lady in the ticket office let us in for half price, I seem to think she was a German lady but I can't be sure on that. Happy days.

I remember as a kid back in the 70's my mum would do the Friday big shop in Challenge supermarket. I remember I always picked up a Ski yoghurt and asking if we could have it, but my mum always said no as she bought cheaper branded yoghurts instead. I would also pick up a tub of salmon spread (with a layer of fat and a paper film on top) but again she usually said no, as it was too expensive. 

Also remember driving down the slope to the left of the building to access the car par at the rear. It was a case of checking that there wasn't a car about to drive up first. There was also a roundabout outside the building, at the junction of City Rd/Prince of Wales Rd/Ridgeway Rd.