Goddard Hall

dunsbyowl1867

Goddard Hall ( In the Grounds of the Northern General Hospital). Still there but for how much longer?

Its no Chatsworth but how few remaining buildings there are in Sheffield of a comparable age, it is sad to see another piece of history deliberately being allowed to decay, to such an extent that the owners will eventually attempt to get away will demolishing it on ‘Health & Safety’ grounds (as with Norwood Hall.) It has been boarded up for at least two years and it is clearly need of emergency repairs. Shame on them.

For many years home of the Smilter family. Smilter Lane (Herries road) was named after them

S.O.Addy suggested the name Goddard might be from the old word GODARDY meaning a pipe, goit or canal after some feature on the building.

A few references found on the internet :

A DIRECTORY OF THE BOROUGH

AND PARISH OF SHEFFIELD, 1852

Hodgson dlr John, Goddard Hall

Home of the "Smilter" family for some many years. The grounds of the house became part of Nothern General Hospital complex in 1891.

The [sheffield] Guardians acquired by purchase, in 1891, the Goddard Hall estate, consisting of a residence and 25 acres of grass land adjoining the Workhouse grounds.That additional land has admitted of the erection of a group of cottage homes three in number, each to contain thirty children, a probationary home, superintendent's house, stores, laundry, administrative offices, and a children's hospital.

Mentioned in Leader’s REMINISCENCES OF OLD SHEFFIELD

EVERARD : The premises in Church Street now occupied by the Bible

Society were once the residence of Dr. Hodgson, father of Mr. John

Hodgson, of Goddard Hall.

Reference in Earl Sterndale, Derbyshire - Memorial Inscriptions

[A11] William Frederick HODGSON youngest surviving son of the late John HODGSON Esq.

of Goddard Hall, Sheffield, died at Crongstone Grange 7 Mar 1894 age 39.

Minutes of Sheffield Conservation Advisory Group 24 July 2007

SHEFFIELD CONSERVATION ADVISORY GROUP

Meeting held 24th July, 2007

7. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS

© Goddard Hall, at the Northern General Hospital, was a Listed Building and was presently on the Buildings at Risk Register. A letter had been sent to the Hospital Trust, recommending that the property be brought back into use as a priority building at the Hospital;

Goddard Hall ( In the Grounds of the Northern General Hospital). Still there but for how much longer?

Its no Chatsworth but how few remaining buildings there are in Sheffield of a comparable age, it is sad to see another piece of history deliberately being allowed to decay, to such an extent that the owners will eventually attempt to get away will demolishing it on ‘Health & Safety’ grounds (as with Norwood Hall.) It has been boarded up for at least two years and it is clearly need of emergency repairs. Shame on them.

For many years home of the Smilter family. Smilter Lane (Herries road) was named after them

S.O.Addy suggested the name Goddard might be from the old word GODARDY meaning a pipe, goit or canal after some feature on the building.

A few references found on the internet :

A DIRECTORY OF THE BOROUGH

AND PARISH OF SHEFFIELD, 1852

Hodgson dlr John, Goddard Hall

Home of the "Smilter" family for some many years. The grounds of the house became part of Nothern General Hospital complex in 1891.

The [sheffield] Guardians acquired by purchase, in 1891, the Goddard Hall estate, consisting of a residence and 25 acres of grass land adjoining the Workhouse grounds.That additional land has admitted of the erection of a group of cottage homes three in number, each to contain thirty children, a probationary home, superintendent's house, stores, laundry, administrative offices, and a children's hospital.

Mentioned in Leader’s REMINISCENCES OF OLD SHEFFIELD

EVERARD : The premises in Church Street now occupied by the Bible

Society were once the residence of Dr. Hodgson, father of Mr. John

Hodgson, of Goddard Hall.

Reference in Earl Sterndale, Derbyshire - Memorial Inscriptions

[A11] William Frederick HODGSON youngest surviving son of the late John HODGSON Esq.

of Goddard Hall, Sheffield, died at Crongstone Grange 7 Mar 1894 age 39.

Minutes of Sheffield Conservation Advisory Group 24 July 2007

SHEFFIELD CONSERVATION ADVISORY GROUP

Meeting held 24th July, 2007

7. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS

© Goddard Hall, at the Northern General Hospital, was a Listed Building and was presently on the Buildings at Risk Register. A letter had been sent to the Hospital Trust, recommending that the property be brought back into use as a priority building at the Hospital;

Would like to know what the reply was from the hospital trust! I fully agree with you that more should be done to save it. The grass in front of it is now car park and some of the buildings behind have been demoslished. I understood that if the buildings belonged to what was Goddard Hall and were there before 1947 then they shouldn't be knocked down. How correct that is I don't know but they were certainly there prior to that. If you want good photos of the old clock Tower building then take them now - I have heard rumours that things might change one day.

Guest Gramps

A couple of earlier residents -

Thomas Stirling of Thomas Stirling & Co. (Merchants) Mill Sands is listed as the occupant in 1833. Then James Barton, (Corn Merchant) in 1837.

John Hodgson was there in the 1841 census (aged 25) and still there in 1852 (White's directory)

I imagine the reply of the Hospital Trust would be along the lines of them being in the business of preserving people rather than derelict buildings. ;-)

A couple of earlier residents -

Thomas Stirling of Thomas Stirling & Co. (Merchants) Mill Sands is listed as the occupant in 1833. Then James Barton, (Corn Merchant) in 1837.

John Hodgson was there in the 1841 census (aged 25) and still there in 1852 (White's directory)

I imagine the reply of the Hospital Trust would be along the lines of them being in the business of preserving people rather than derelict buildings. ;-)

Most probably - but why not hand it over to a body prepared to maintain it (with lottery funding) as a museum for Northern Sheffield?

Would like to know what the reply was from the hospital trust! I fully agree with you that more should be done to save it. The grass in front of it is now car park and some of the buildings behind have been demoslished. I understood that if the buildings belonged to what was Goddard Hall and were there before 1947 then they shouldn't be knocked down. How correct that is I don't know but they were certainly there prior to that. If you want good photos of the old clock Tower building then take them now - I have heard rumours that things might change one day.

The buildings behind Godard Hall also look Victorian - Stables ? Also sadly neglected!

Guest Gramps

Most probably - but why not hand it over to a body prepared to maintain it (with lottery funding) as a museum for Northern Sheffield?

Because I suspect there are already plans for the site; space it a premium in NGH.

It's just a question of waiting for some vandals to come along and set light to it. - as happened with the Brushes and a few other places in Sheffield. Apologies for being so cynical <_<

Many people have suggested the same thing but it will not happen. It needs someone high up at the hospital with a real appreciation of its history who has an interest in keeping it. A few years ago there was talk of it being brought into use but it is so far gone it is unsafe to go inside now. It will go the same way as the Brushes I'm sure - there is always so much rubbish around it - it is like an open invitation.

Lyn