Pitsmoor Toll Bar

dunsbyowl1867

At the junction of Barnsley, Burngreave an Pitsmoor roads the building that was originally the

Pitsmoor Toll Bar. Built in 1896 to replace an earlier one of 1759. Tolls were levied until 1876.

Burngreave Road is a later addition and the orginal turnpike road which runs along side what becomes Barnsley Road can still be seen.

There was another toll-bar, or catch-bar halfway down the hill to Fir Vale on the corner with Batley street. It was later known as Ivy Cottage.

Picture Sheffield image

This was also, for a while, the Osgathorpe or Pitsmoor terminus for the early trams. The overhead wires can be seen in the photo.

And I think you typed 1896 instead of 1836 for the construction date of the new toll house ? - 1835/36 was the date that Burngreave road was put through.

There was another toll-bar, or catch-bar halfway down the hill to Fir Vale on the corner with Batley street. It was later known as Ivy Cottage.

Picture Sheffield image

This was also, for a while, the Osgathorpe or Pitsmoor terminus for the early trams. The overhead wires can be seen in the photo.

And I think you typed 1896 instead of 1836 for the construction date of the new toll house ? - 1835/36 was the date that Burngreave road was put through.

Correct as ever gramps where would I be without you

Sorry - didn't mean to come across as 'picky' - just trying to enlarge on the topic.

No offence taken sir - I was being serious about your valuable contributions!

Picture Sheffield image

Anyone know what year Batley Street was renamed Crabtree Close?

Anyone know what year Bately Street was renamed Crabtree Close?

Can't find mention of that but Peter Harvey says that Batley Street was fomerly called Brook Lane and changed name in 1886. I suppose that doesn't help - is this the same street below Crabtree Pond?

At the junction of Barnsley, Burngreave an Pitsmoor roads the building that was originally the

Pitsmoor Toll Bar. Built in 1896 to replace an earlier one of 1759. Tolls were levied until 1876.

Burngreave Road is a later addition and the orginal turnpike road which runs along side what becomes Barnsley Road can still be seen.

I have found a refferance to one of the Toll Bar Keepers in a news paper dated March 31st 1860 that you might like..