How many Sheffield places in this photo have gone?

Sheffield History

If it helps others to get orientated this aerial view (looking South) is from above Blonk Street area with Castlegate in the foreground running East (Left) to West (Right) with Waingate (Lady's Bridge) curving up to Haymarket and Fitzalan Square (top centre right). Shude Hill, between the Castle and Wholesale Markets,heads south to Pond Street passing under Commercial Street with the old 'Rag & Tag' Market on the left.

The Castlegate I remember was a terminus for a number of Bus routes in the 40's and early 50's so as there are still trams on the picture I would guess this dates around 1960. Not having visited the City Centre for a very long time I would think that there is "Not a Lot" remaining (as Paul Daniels used to say)  in answer to the question posed!  

Apart from the odd building that still stands, most have either been demolished, or been replaced. With a bit of Blue Peter 'cut-n-paste', I tried to line up a current aerial view with the old one (but my perspective might be a bit skew-whiff?). Comparing the two, this maybe makes it easier to see what is still there?

I've also linked the aerial view Google Map, if anyone's interested and by holding down the 'Ctrl' button, dragging the mouse across the map and zooming in and out with the wheel, you can fly around, change the elevation, etc. 

Castlegate - Aerial View - Google Maps

I still get my hair cut on the Wicker every fortnight or so and coming back along Blonk Street towards the Parkway, where it joins Castlegate, it still makes me smile that the old Gent's khazi is still standing. The only surprise is no-one has turned it into a luxury riverside apartment?!...

Castelgate Aerial Photo_Joined.jpg

Castelgate Aerial Photo_New.JPG

Thank you for the time and trouble you have taken in posting this excellent interesting comparison.In another fifty plus years I wonder whether today's youngsters will dig into the Archives and add a further comparison? Better get that Gents' khazi listed as soon as possible (if it isn't already)!