Science Fair 71

DaveH

In another thread I mentioned this event and asked if anyone else could remember it as it involved science work and displays from many local schools and colleges. the event lasted a full week (including Saturday) and was open to the public to promote the advancement of science education in schools.

I have now found out my original programme of events which lists all the schools involved and what they had on display and as such it makes interesting reading as a piece of local history.

Is YOUR school in this listing? Were YOU involved in this event in any way? I know 2 members who were!

FRONT AND REAR COVERS

Showing the specially designed logo for the event.

PAGES 10 & 11

With exhibitors Walkley Junior school to Yewlands Comprehensive followed by Appendix

Good stuff Dave - I was pleased to see my old school Colley was represented by "Wood finishes" and "Growth rate in single and twin lambs" - I only went there in 1976 but the sheep were still there leaving calling cards all over the cricket pitch. Did any other schools have farms? lol

Good stuff Dave - I was pleased to see my old school Colley was represented by "Wood finishes" and "Growth rate in single and twin lambs" - I only went there in 1976 but the sheep were still there leaving calling cards all over the cricket pitch. Did any other schools have farms? lol

One of our Norfolk school entries was to do with breeding mice and rats to study hereditary characteristics and we built a sort of block of flats to put different related generations of mice in. the black mice were very adept at escaping from this structure, even when it was on display in Granville college and me and Stuart spent an hour every morning rounding them up from where they had escaped to, - not that difficult really, just follow the girlie screams, hard bit was getting them back into the right compartment for the next breeding session.

Our school had an "animal house" for a time which kept mainly rabbits, mice and rats but built onto the side of it was an aviary which housed some doves.

Our school had an "animal house" for a time which kept mainly rabbits, mice and rats but built onto the side of it was an aviary which housed some doves.

Always useful for the biology lab he he

Always useful for the biology lab he he

Now in the biology lab we had a snake, an African rock Python in a heated terranium. This had to be fed on a diet of live mice, - so yes they were very useful in the biology lab.

The snake was also on display at science fair 71. I remember an annoying kid from another school who kept saying to his mate "Pete, Pete, get dat snake aart" but his mate Pete was frightened to death of it and never went near it.