Lamb Pool Inn Attercliffe

Guest Gramps

A snippet from R. G. Vine's History of Old Attercliffe.

Concerning the stream mentioned above: it originated near a clump of trees and a willow patch approximately at the junction of Bold and Amberley streets: then it meandered along to a lamb pool (Johnson's lane was subsequently called Lamb Pool lane, later Janson street), facing Beeson's and Slingsby's cluster of buildings, and thence to the Don at the end of River street '(area now covered by Vickers' extensions).

This rather poor map of 1851 gives an idea of the location and shows Johnson's lane and Lamb Pool.

Nice work; maybe we collectively can do something with the map, can't we Steve ? lol

If not, we can re-draw it and takes guesses at what the words say.

Nice work; maybe we collectively can do something with the map, can't we Steve ? lol

Not at 2315 Hrs,

we can re-draw/play with it,

sometime tomorrow

Well if you want something to chew on - have a bigger piece. he he

Significant names are...

Attercliffe Wind and steam Mill

Prospect Cottage and Johnson's Lane (later Lamb Pool lane and then Janson street)

Lamb Pool

Broughton Houses - the site of the later Broughton Inn

Pheasant Inn - but can't make out the writing under that

Carr Brook Coal Office (about where McDonald's is now)

Car Brook Hall - later Carrbrook Hotel

..and a number of Old Coal Pits.

I've often wondered if that building just past Johnson's lane is what used to be 'The Arrow' - a pub that is mentioned in accounts of the gibbeting of Spence Broughton.

I could I suppose take my camera into Local Studies and get photo of the large-scale map - later perhaps.

Well if you want something to chew on - have a bigger piece. he he

Significant names are...

Attercliffe Wind and steam Mill

Prospect Cottage and Johnson's Lane (later Lamb Pool lane and then Janson street)

Lamb Pool

Broughton Houses - the site of the later Broughton Inn

Pheasant Inn - but can't make out the writing under that

Carr Brook Coal Office (about where McDonald's is now)

Car Brook Hall - later Carrbrook Hotel

..and a number of Old Coal Pits.

I've often wondered if that building just past Johnson's lane is what used to be 'The Arrow' - a pub that is mentioned in accounts of the gibbeting of Spence Broughton.

I could I suppose take my camera into Local Studies and get photo of the large-scale map - later perhaps.

Carrying on our discussion about crossing the Don Ihave also looked a a similar dated map to that of 1855 to the left of the portion of the map you have posted, on the other bank of the Don (across from the Windmill) is a boat house - I think that will do as a ferry?

Carrying on our discussion about crossing the Don Ihave also looked a a similar dated map to that of 1855 to the left of the portion of the map you have posted, on the other bank of the Don (across from the Windmill) is a boat house - I think that will do as a ferry?

Oooh ! - I'd like to see that, - can you post a crop that shows the boathouse ? Perhaps on the 'Windmills' thread for continuity.....and not to confuse people lol

What are the details of the map if it's not OS1850-ish ?

This is a print that shows the old pub known as 'The Arrow' on Attercliffe Common - dated 1792. By blowing it up it's just possible to read the sign. Also in the frame is the Pheasant on the right and Carr Brook Hall on the left.

From J. Edward Vickers, Old Sheffield Town

Bigger version of the same

and upon which you can see Spence Broughton's body hanging ! on the right not on Gramps's version!

and upon which you can see Spence Broughton's body hanging ! on the right not on Gramps's version!

Yeah well...mine was only 361k, Richard's is 1.4meg ;-)