Was this building a Pub?

dunsbyowl1867

Could you locate that on a map, or draw a picture of its location please ? Seems to be Princess Street/Saville Street ...

Someone would have to get real close, or to check any nearby buildings to get a hint on the current street numbering - see if that helps.

Possibilities include :

Labour in Vain - 62 Princess Street

Railway Tavern - 64 Princess Street

Roller's Tavern - 70 Princess Street

Windsor Castle - 129 Princess Street

OR

Atlas - Saville Street East

Midland Railway Inn/New Inn - 119 Saville Street

Prince of Wales - 82 Saville Street East

Twelve O'Clock - Saville Street

Any thoughts ? Can anyone discount any of the above ?

It definitely was a pub - I've supped in there. Ken Slack had it in the 80s but it was just known as 'Slacky's' and I can't remember what the official name used to be. Is it not named on the 1958 map ?

Edit: - Norfolk Arms sounds right to me.

Looking at Richards maps and Live Search it appears to be the Norfolk Arms 208 Saville Street East.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&id=5988

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Yes that's it I came off the 5 Weirs Walk at East Coast Road and that building is next to the distinctive curved corner of the old Norfolk Works Thanks

<br />Glad that's sorted !<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi RichardB I'D SOONER PLUMB FOR THE DUCHESS OF WINDSOR , IF NOT CAN YOU SAY WHERE IT IS. CHEERS SKEETS

Guest whatever

Walked past this the other day - on Saville Street looks like an old pub. Don't know what it is now ;-)

Its NORFOLK ARMS ,208 Saville Street East. My grandparents ran it for many years and my birthplace. Its also a listed building as before it was a pub it was an Engine House.

Its NORFOLK ARMS ,208 Saville Street East. My grandparents ran it for many years and my birthplace. Its also a listed building as before it was a pub it was an Engine House.

Could you provide more details of names dates please. We normally accept any old tat as evidence, but, if you were born there that's somewhat better !

...... We normally accept any old tat as evidence.........

In that case would you be surprised that it was once called the Urinal he he

It's current incarnation is a little more cosmopolitan than that !

from "Itchy Sheffield"

"Bronx Sauna Sheffield's first gay sauna, and has kept going despite some stiff competition."

Guest whatever

Could you provide more details of names dates please. We normally accept any old tat as evidence, but, if you were born there that's somewhat better !

My grandparents Alice & Charley HARVEY were def there 1950s to early 60s. I was only born there as dad was a cricket fan and we lived at Gleadless at time which was still in Derbyshire. Alas I turned out a she !

skeets' post 'Oct 22 2008, 01:51 PM Hi RichardB I'D SOONER PLUMB FOR THE DUCHESS OF WINDSOR , IF NOT CAN YOU SAY WHERE IT IS. CHEERS SKEETS

Retract on second thoughtsit definately is the Norfolk l used to go in there in my youth, but would still like to know where the Winsor Castle was. Skeets

On 22/10/2008 at 21:31, Guest whatever said:

Only just noticed this topic. If 'Guest Whatever' sees this today, I grew up with your dad, Mick Harvey, same class at school, and I knew your grandad at the pub. Would like to know if Mick is still with us at 78 year of age and how he is. Thanks.

The photograph of Norfolk Arms PH, taken by Sheffield Newspapers dated 24th Jan 1980. It usually indicates it was photographed for a reason to accompany an article or may be just the photo and a caption. Would be interesting to see why they were taking an interest.