Lufwaffe Bombing Map

Guest Trefcon

Guest SapperTaylor

Hiya Deansgirl,

Thanks for the map. My Grandfather worked at Thorncliffe all through the war years and although as far as I know the factory was never bombed, the local woods got a pasting. The map shows the 'Tank Factory' posed a serious threat to the Axis war effort as hundreds of Churchill tanks made it to the front line from Thorncliffe. A tank still sits on the site as a memorial although most of the old buildings have now made way for new developments.

B Braun (a sponsor of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance) have been resident there for some years.

Part of the Site known as Newton Chambers cut gears for the tracked diggers the factory made. My dad worked there after leaving the Royal Navy. Those buildings along with the Izal Factory (of medicated toilet paper fame) are long gone and have been replaced by housing. Only the Wood finishing products site is still there, now Ronseal.

Thanks again for the map, had the German air crews been better at their jobs it is highly likely that my mother wouldn't have been born and I wouldn't be saying thanks.

Cheers

Chris :)