Public house/beerhouse/beer retailer?

Guest Jeremy

We're planning to expand our pubs listing to include beerhouses. The various terms applied to places that sold alcohol in the historical directories and in census returns can cause confusion, so I thought it a good idea to discuss what these terms meant.

To start things off here's a legal definition of beer retailer:

The Law times reports, volume 62 (1890)

In the year 1830, the first Beerhouse Act (1 Will. 4, c. 64) had been passed, which created what are well known as beerhouses.

Under that Act licences were granted to sell beer on or off the premises, and one of the qualifications was that the applicant should be a resident occupier, but in this Act of 1830 no definition was given of a '"beer retailer."

In 1834 an amending Act (4 & 5 Will. 4. c. 85) was passed, and in sect. 19 of that Act it was set out,

"Whereas doubts are entertained as to what is a selling of beer or cider or perry by retail," be it enacted, "that every sale of any beer, or of any cider or perry, in any less quantity than four gallons and a half, shall be deemed and taken to be a selling by retail."

So that under that section any person who sold beer in a less quantity than four and a half gallons was a beer retailer.

Kev at the New Barrack Tavern told me today that The Foresters on Rutland Road was the last Sheffield beerhouse to have it's license changed to a public house. Is that right? Did we already know?

Kev at the New Barrack Tavern told me today that The Foresters on Rutland Road was the last Sheffield beerhouse to have it's license changed to a public house. Is that right? Did we already know?

I knew, I've asked it on here - mind you, a long time ago.

and I do hope Kev has the list of former keepers of the New Barrack Tavern displayed somewhere ...

When was the licence changed?

He's got the list as far as we have it Richard. It's with an old photo on the wall.

I've asked him to look into more recent times.

He has a bit of info on the pub and also the original Barracks Hotel. Just sketchy bits.

We got to talking about how the pub may have changed over the years, because of some odd features inside, so he sourced the original plans for the new building (1930's)

Turns out it's exactly as it was built. Only a toilet extension, the Off Sales blocked up and a bit of stud wall removed.

-------

Big word coming up here Jeremy. He THINKS it was as late as the 60's

He can't remember where he heard this.

Wasn't the Palm on Palm Street still a beerhouse in the sixties too.

I remember going in as a teenager in the mid 60s thinking how odd

it was that they didn't sell anything else other than beer.

When was the licence changed?

Late 60's, even early 70's - this has been discussed here before, haven't a clue where/when though.