Blonk Street

RichardB

So...is Blonk street named after a horse, - or a bloke called Blonk ? lol

I always thought a bloke named Blonk; just throwing the Guardian article in as a discussion point/debating material/excuse for a good punch up ....

I always thought a bloke named Blonk; just throwing the Guardian article in as a discussion point/debating material/excuse for a good punch up ....

Perhaps even Benjamin Blonk, head of Blonk & Co. scissorsmiths based on the banks of the Don in the 19th Century and the site of the Blonk Wheel or a horse ;-)

Perhaps even Benjamin Blonk, head of Blonk & Co. scissorsmiths based on the banks of the Don in the 19th Century and the site of the Blonk Wheel or a horse ;-)

Well done, tremendous stuff; I can make plenty more of these up - if you like ... just wait for Effingham Road and the accident with the hammer ... lol

Guest Gramps

Well done, tremendous stuff; I can make plenty more of these up - if you like ... just wait for Effingham Road and the accident with the hammer ... lol

You're making that up - or it would be Effingfum road ;-)

The Wicker Tilts

Formerly the property of Norfolk Estates, the tilts were purchased by Blonk and Co. in 1810. Under the tenancy of Huntsman steam power was in use.

Guest Gramps

David Crossley suggests the Wicker Tilts were built around 1758, and leased from 1785 by Blonk & Co. who bought them outright in 1810. He doesn't offer a date for when they were converted to steam power, but in 1895 the water wheel was rated as "ancient and obsolete".

The Tilts aren't shown on Gosling's map of 1736 but can be clearly seen om Fairbank's 1771 plan of the town. The Wicker Wheel is much older, mentioned in rentals back to 1581.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

David Crossley suggests the Wicker Tilts were built around 1758, and leased from 1785 by Blonk & Co. who bought them outright in 1810. He doesn't offer a date for when they were converted to steam power, but in 1895 the water wheel was rated as "ancient and obsolete".

The Tilts aren't shown on Gosling's map of 1736 but can be clearly seen om Fairbank's 1771 plan of the town. The Wicker Wheel is much older, mentioned in rentals back to 1581.

I don't want to confuse things, but didn't the Wheel known as the Blonk Wheel become better known as the Tower Wheel. This building eventually passed into the hands of Samuel Osborn's, and it was still standing until a few years ago. It stood out because the building (at the side of the Don, near the bridge on Blonk St) boasted a number of towers and resembled a castle. In fact, some of the people who used it called it Castle Wheel. There's more confusion! But I feel sure this was the Blonk Wheel in the beginning. This wheel featureed in the story of James Linley, the grinder who angered the union boos Broadhead and was fatally shot in a pub on Scotland Street. For a time, he worked at the Tower Wheel (though, in truth, he was an idle devil!) and lodged with relatives on Nursery Street.

By the way, I think the conversion from water power to steam in the local trades occurred sometime around the turn of the 19th century. The first steam powered wheel was started up somewhere on Sheaf Street in the first years of the 1900s, and very quickly the other wheels followed.

I don't want to confuse things, but didn't the Wheel known as the Blonk Wheel become better known as the Tower Wheel. This building eventually passed into the hands of Samuel Osborn's, and it was still standing until a few years ago. It stood out because the building (at the side of the Don, near the bridge on Blonk St) boasted a number of towers and resembled a castle. In fact, some of the people who used it called it Castle Wheel. There's more confusion! But I feel sure this was the Blonk Wheel in the beginning. This wheel featureed in the story of James Linley, the grinder who angered the union boos Broadhead and was fatally shot in a pub on Scotland Street. For a time, he worked at the Tower Wheel (though, in truth, he was an idle devil!) and lodged with relatives on Nursery Street.

By the way, I think the conversion from water power to steam in the local trades occurred sometime around the turn of the 19th century. The first steam powered wheel was started up somewhere on Sheaf Street in the first years of the 1900s, and very quickly the other wheels followed.

More about the shooting of James Linley in the 'Murders' Topic Here

Speaking of Blonk Street, it could be a dangerous place, at least in the 19th Century-

Fatal Boiler Explosion

A fearful accident occurred at the Castle Mills grinding wheel, the property of Messrs. S. Parker and Sons, last Saturday evening. A large tubular boiler had recently been put down, and on Saturday preparations were made for testing its strength under the superintendence of Mr. S. Marshall, the manager of the works.

The parties engaged in this dangerous operation were, besides Mr. Marshall, Mr. Hutton, engineer, (who had been engaged for the occasion), Samuel Hill and Samuel Broughton, engine-tenters; Henry Alcock, millwright; John Marriott, blacksmith; Mark Ellis, a grinder; and Alfred Woodhead, engineman.

The boiler was placed at the extremity of the yard exactly opposite the main entrance. A pressure of 78 to the square inch was placed upon it, when it was found that there was an imperfection in the working of the safety valve.

In order to remedy this defect Samuel Broughton and the nightwatchman were directed to go up to a bridge across the yard, and let down a cord, for the purpose of attaching it to the safety valve, so that it might be worked with greater facility.

Scarcely had their task been completed, when the boiler burst with a most terrific explosion. Samuel Hill, who was attending to the fire at the time, was instantaneously killed, and the immense boiler, weighing upwards of 14 tons, was driven through the closed gates across Blonk Street, and passing completely through some melting furnaces on the opposite side, dropped into the river beyond, a distance of about 80 yards.

Mr Marshall was slightly scalded, Marriott had several ribs fractured, and Mr. Hutton, Alcock, and Ellis were all more or less injured.

There are many conjectures as to the cause of the accident, some believing that it was occasioned by an insufficiency of water in the boiler, while others asserted that the boiler was made by persons who were not possessed of the requisite scientific skill to conduct such a delicate and dangerous operation.