Dyson Place, off Sharrow Vale Road

BASSWRITER

I'm trying to find any pictures of the houses that once stood at the end of Dyson Place which is off Sharrow Vale Road. All that is there now (the last time I looked anyway) are a few old cars but there used to be an old farmhouse and 3 terraced houses.

Way back before any of the houses were built in that area it was all farm land and the tenant of the farm was Eliza Dyson (so the story goes) and the road was named after her although it was called Dyson Lane at first.

By the time of WWII the the farm house was itself divided into 2 seperate houses and a row of 3 terraced houses had been joined on to it which can be seen on the 1905 OS map. I believe that the old farmhouse and the terraces were demolished in the late 1940's / early 1950's.

I've tried all the usual places for pictures but no luck so far. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi

My brother used to live in the old cottages on Dyson Place when he first married in the 50s.

He wasn't there long before they had to be demolished, but he did go back to take pictures

before they were completely flattened. we are in the prossess of taking them to the Sheffield

picture library. there's just 3 small black and white ones.

If I knew how to post them to this site I would. Must learn because I've got loads of old pictures.

Hi

My brother used to live in the old cottages on Dyson Place when he first married in the 50s.

He wasn't there long before they had to be demolished, but he did go back to take pictures

before they were completely flattened. we are in the prossess of taking them to the Sheffield

picture library. there's just 3 small black and white ones.

If I knew how to post them to this site I would. Must learn because I've got loads of old pictures.

There are a couple of 1960's demolition photos on picturesheffield

ukelele lady, but one wont link up.

Looks like we will have to sort you some distructions out on 'How to post photos' on here.

In 'ADD REPLY'

Browse folders on 'You're Computer'

The photo/image needs to be under 2 MB in size to upload on here

and in JPG (JPEG format).

You can 'preview' the post before replying/submitting it,

Hi tsavo

I see the Sheffield library have now printed my Dyson Place photographs but they seem to have selected

one as restricted copyright which it isn't. I am going to the library tomorrow so I will ask them to correct the

mistake. Thank you for pointing this out. :angry:

The City Library is having a few problems with the picture library at the moment I'm told and a few things are

going wrong. They are in the process of adding a few thousand more prints and should be done for after Christmas,

so that will keep us busy searching. Keep trying the second Dyson Place picture I'm told it will be back. :rolleyes:

Thanks Ukelele Lady

This is the first time I've checked back at my post for a while so I've only just seen your reply. However, I stumbled across the Dyson demolition pictures on the Picture Sheffield site a little while ago and went in a bought copies straight away.

My Dad and his sister were very pleased to see them (even though they showed their old house succumbing to the mechanical shovel) and they brought back a lot of nice memories for them so thanks for sharing these pictures.

There were a couple of things I'd like to ask, do you know what number your brother lived at? and in your post you mentioned 3 pictures but there are only 2 on Picture Sheffield site so is there another of Dyson Place ready to go on?

thanks again

Thanks Ukelele Lady

This is the first time I've checked back at my post for a while so I've only just seen your reply. However, I stumbled across the Dyson demolition pictures on the Picture Sheffield site a little while ago and went in a bought copies straight away.

My Dad and his sister were very pleased to see them (even though they showed their old house succumbing to the mechanical shovel) and they brought back a lot of nice memories for them so thanks for sharing these pictures.

There were a couple of things I'd like to ask, do you know what number your brother lived at? and in your post you mentioned 3 pictures but there are only 2 on Picture Sheffield site so is there another of Dyson Place ready to go on?

thanks again

Thank you Basswriter for your reply, it seems there may only be two photographs but if we do find another I

will post it on this thread. My brother used to live at number five Dyson Place.