How to reply to posts?

Lizziejampot

Sorry I'm being completely dim, but I can't work out how to reply to posts - every time I try and type in the box ( you know, the one that says Reply to this Topic) then I get the instruction "Drag files here to attach, or choose files... " I've also tried clicking on the green box towards the top of the page - the one that says "Reply to this topic" and, well, nothing happens. It's been a while since I posted here, but there was no problem replying to topics previously. I really want to thank the people who have posted very helpful replies to my query .....

Sorry I'm being completely dim, but I can't work out how to reply to posts - every time I try and type in the box ( you know, the one that says Reply to this Topic) then I get the instruction "Drag files here to attach, or choose files... " I've also tried clicking on the green box towards the top of the page - the one that says "Reply to this topic" and, well, nothing happens. It's been a while since I posted here, but there was no problem replying to topics previously. I really want to thank the people who have posted very helpful replies to my query .....

Hello Lizziejampot,

​As a tempory measure you could try using different web browsers, the code for most of these pages have many errors at the moment ( as per W3C Markup Validation Service) so the pages render differently in different browsers and even different versions of the same browser. I usually use Opera Browser for this site but at the moment I am using Firefox 36.0.4 because it renders faulty code better and I can still do most things on the site. I will go back to my usual browser when things are sorted out.

I had exactly the same thought, but then the family dropped round before I could do anything.  Anyway - Bingo!  It's fine in Safari.  Thanks for the help and what a relief.

I had exactly the same thought, but then the family dropped round before I could do anything.  Anyway - Bingo!  It's fine in Safari.  Thanks for the help and what a relief.

​What browser was you using when you had problems replying please?

I tested a few browsers and got surprising and somewhat confusing results,

On Windows 7 most things worked in Firefox and Seamonkey but not in Internet Explorer and Opera

On iMac most things worked in Google Chrome - Safari but not in Firefox and Opera

On three different Linux systems most things worked in Chromium Web BrowserSeaMonkey and Firefox but not in Google ChromeOperaDillo - Dooble - Midori - Netsurf - QupZilla - Konqueror - Arora - Rekonq - Pale Moon - SlimBoat and Tor Browser.

On one occassion with Firefox I had to log out and then back in again to get the links to work. The most stable performances came from Safari and Seamonkey for me. All this is probably of little use as I have a feeling other people may get different results.

It's a good job that Sheffield History is not a money making site. It would have lost 1000's with this redesign. It says a lot for that Invision Power Services Inc - a right bunch of monkeys!  

Not even heard of some of them browsers!

​Thanks

​Opera has been my chosen browser for some time but I am using Firefox for this forum. What Lizziejampot describes is what I was seeing (or not seeing) when trying to use the forum using Opera. I have no idea what other functions do not work with Opera as Firefox is coping adequately.

​Opera has been my chosen browser for some time but I am using Firefox for this forum. What Lizziejampot describes is what I was seeing (or not seeing) when trying to use the forum using Opera. I have no idea what other functions do not work with Opera as Firefox is coping adequately.

​Likewise Opera is my favourite but unfortunately it is not as good at interpreting dodgy code as Firefox - Safari etc. though it should not be necessary anyway.

You can check how good the code is for any page by pasting the U.R.L / site address into a box at this site -

http://validator.w3.org/

This site is interesting on this matter -

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/