135 replies to this topic

#1 s6lad

s6lad

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

Would love to see pictures or read memories of the council estate. I lived there as a kid from 1967 to 72 amd really loved all the green space and lots of other kids my age. I lived on Samual Drive just above the Horse and Lion pub. I have looked on the pictures sheffield archive as i thought that there would be plenty of planners pics etc but no luck.

#2 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:history, and referee-educating lol my dog, and my cats

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Would love to see pictures or read memories of the council estate. I lived there as a kid from 1967 to 72 amd really loved all the green space and lots of other kids my age. I lived on Samual Drive just above the Horse and Lion pub. I have looked on the pictures sheffield archive as i thought that there would be plenty of planners pics etc but no luck.

there's a snapshot here from Picsheff, of the earl marshall pub (was the midhill club) with kenninghall flats in the background..
http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s22037

ok, it's not the clearest of pictures...

then there's this amazing Aerial shot of pretty much the whole of the bottom half of the estate...
http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=w00842

#3 stevedb10

stevedb10

Sheffield Historian

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

I lived at Guildford View Flats at the top of Norfolk Park,I moved there in 1975, does anybody remember the caravan "chippie" that used to park on the layby near the Round Shop building, it was a small caravan fitted with a Frying Range,it was towed by the owners car, when you got too many people inside the caravan it used to tip slightly,and the boiling fat used to swill about!!!! he he , the owner never seemed to let it bother Him,Don't know what health and saftey would have made of that nowadays. lol

#4 Sheffield History

Sheffield History

Site Owner

• Sheffield History Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

How the heck did that not set on fire ??

lol

#5 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

We lived on Norfolk Park, Mandrake block on Park Grange View, from 1975 until 86. I also liked all the green spaces, and the fact that you could see what the weather was going to be like in about half an hour by looking through the window and seeing what the weather was on the moors!!!!!!!! Here is a pic taken from our flat window, it was evening time and sorry its not that clear. :angry:

Attached Images

• IMG_0001.jpg

#6 huthwaite

huthwaite

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:59 PM

I worked at The Horse & Lion oh must be about 1983 trained to be a manager and then moved on, used to go in The Jervis Lum b4 work, wow brought back some good memories lol

#7 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

Someone, somewhere, must have got some pictures of the tower blocks on Norfolk Park. I have tried looking everywhere I can think of. Although I lived on the estate for about 12 years I never took many photos. Pleeeease can anyone help? :(

#8 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:02 AM

Another appeal for photos of Norfolk Park flats. Now we have got lots of new members does anyone anywhere have any pics of the flats pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!! Could you all have a look, thank you. :( :( :(

#9 tsavo

tsavo

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

Another appeal for photos of Norfolk Park flats. Now we have got lots of new members does anyone anywhere have any pics of the flats pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!! Could you all have a look, thank you. :( :( :(

Tried to clean up your original photo, Carlie, not much better but we may fine that elusive picture yet!
Norfolk_Park_2.jpg

#10 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Tsavo, Ill keep on hoping! :( Perhaps photos of Norfolk Park and Redgates will turn up together, now wouldnt that be something ? :o

#11 Desy

Desy

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

I lived on NP on Guildford Rise for 4 yrs 1967-71. Have some picture of the flats being blown up will try to post them shortley

#12 Markbaby

Markbaby

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

There's a piccy of a block on the "Random Picture Thread"
http://www.sheffield...i...ost&id=3756

#13 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thank you Tsavo and Markbaby, Im feeling happy now Ive got a few pics to look at, (sad I know,I should get out more!!) ;-) ;-)

#14 CJSheffield

CJSheffield

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

I lived in the pink block on Guildford Drive. I had a 2-bedroom flat on the 2nd floor. The flats were really well planned and the living room was huge.

#15 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts
  • Interests:This, That and the Other

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:43 PM

Another appeal for photos of Norfolk Park flats. Now we have got lots of new members does anyone anywhere have any pics of the flats pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!! Could you all have a look, thank you.

I'm sure I have some photos of these flats from the period of time you are asking (roughly 1969 to 1982) in my negative collection. I will try to find them out, scan them and get them posted here soon

#16 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

I'm sure I have some photos of these flats from the period of time you are asking (roughly 1969 to 1982) in my negative collection. I will try to find them out, scan them and get them posted here soon

Hi Dave H, It would be great if you could do that.

I,ll look forward to seeing them. :)

#17 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:24 AM

There's a piccy of a block on the "Random Picture Thread"

I Am sure that the blocks on that picture are the Kenninghall Mount blocks. I had a cousin who lived on the 15th floor of KM.

Two aunts lived on NP. too, one on the 10th floor of Mandrake Block (the green block by the top bridge) and the other on the 15th floor of Beldon block, the brown Block on Beldon Road, which was beside the tram stop.

I lived for a short time on that block, too, in a flat on the 6th floor.

My sister lived on the 12th floor of one of the Guildford blocks nearest Northern Avenue.

#18 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Just scanned a couple of pictures from my negative file.

These were taken in 1973 from the top (13th floor) of the block which was at the bottom of Northern Avenue. I also have views looking out the other way showing the bottom of Northern Avenue and part of my old school (Norfolk).

The first picture looks out towards town, across Park Grange Road where the underpass is, across the Vic Hallam's on Guildford Walk and to the 2 blocks (Guildfords) which stood between the entrance to Norfolk Park and Park Grange Road. You could see them through the lounge window in the Fellbrigg. In 1973 all the blocks looked concrete on the outside but in the 1980's they were painted. I think these 2 blocks were pink and green / blue.

Second picture shows the view through a slightly more telephoto lens of just one of the blocks and taken from the same location, this gives a bit more detail of the actual block.

The third picture is taken looking down from the top floor at Park Grange Road and Guildforf Walk. There seems to be a small works hut and a van which is not on the road. Wonder what was going off here?

I do have more pictures like these but taken later, possibly in the period 1979 to 1982 and when I can find them out and scan them I will post them here

Attached Images

• NPF1.jpg
  • NPF2.jpg
  • Guildford_View.jpg

#19 carlie167

carlie167

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

Thank you so much Dave, I lived on Mandrake block from 75 for about ten years, and cant believe Ive only got a couple of photos myself, and not very good ones at that.

I look forward to seeing more. :)

#20 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

Thank you so much Dave, I lived on Mandrake block from 75 for about ten years, and cant believe Ive only got a couple of photos myself, and not very good ones at that.

I look forward to seeing more. :)

As I lived on the Arbourthorne but had many friends on various blocks of Norfolk Park here are a few questions about them. I don't know the answers and it just goes to show how short my memory is.

Q1
How many blocks were there? some of them like the Claywoods and the one still standing near the top of Ecclesall Road in town were not on the Norfolk Park estate, but how many blocks were there on the estate?

Q2
The blocks seem to have an address such as "Guildford View" or "Kenninghall Mount" and also a name such as "MANDRAKE" or "TOWER", can anyone match the names to addresses?

Q3
As far as I know all the blocks were 13 floors high and had in total 256 flats. Is this correct and is it true of all the blocks?

Q4
In the 1980's the blocks were painted and "colour coded", can anyone match the colours to the block names and addresses?

Perhaps we could start some sort of database with this information on (on this site) to preserve this information for posterity now that they have gone.

As a boy on the Arbourthorne I watched these futuristic looking towers being built. 30 years later I watched the same buildings being destroyed. It seems such a waste!

#21 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

As I lived on the Arbourthorne but had many friends on various blocks of Norfolk Park here are a few questions about them. I don't know the answers and it just goes to show how short my memory is.

Q1
How many blocks were there? some of them like the Claywoods and the one still standing near the top of Ecclesall Road in town were not on the Norfolk Park estate, but how many blocks were there on the estate?

Q2
The blocks seem to have an address such as "Guildford View" or "Kenninghall Mount" and also a name such as "MANDRAKE" or "TOWER", can anyone match the names to addresses?

Q3
As far as I know all the blocks were 13 floors high and had in total 256 flats. Is this correct and is it true of all the blocks?

Q4
In the 1980's the blocks were painted and "colour coded", can anyone match the colours to the block names and addresses?

Perhaps we could start some sort of database with this information on (on this site) to preserve this information for posterity now that they have gone.

As a boy on the Arbourthorne I watched these futuristic looking towers being built. 30 years later I watched the same buildings being destroyed. It seems such a waste!

there were fifteen blocks on Norfolk Park. (well, 12 if you discount the three on Claywood)

they were all the same height, fifteen storeys (but those eight flats on the fifteenth floor weren't served by the lifts, you had to get a lift to the 14th floor and walk up a flight.)

there were eight flats on each floor, except the ground floors which had six flats, not eight. there were 126 flats, not 256, the numbering went up to 256 (on the even numbers)

Each block had a name given to it as well as the street address, eg

"242 Tower drive,
Grange block
Norfolk Park
SHEFFIELD
S2 XXX"

the colours were in use from before the 1980s, my aunt moved on to Mandrake Block, new, in the 1960s and it was colour coded then IIRC)

names and colours I can remember for the blocks were:-

Grange (tower drive) (pale green)

Tower (at the Park grange shops) (royal Blue)

Mandrake (Park Grange View) (green)

East Bank (orange) (One of two on Park Grange mount)

Kenninghall (kenninghall Mount) (yellow, the other on KM was sludge brown)

Guildford (blue or yellow?Guildford ?Drive? Mount? view?)

Beldon (Beldon drive) ( snuff brown)

Talbot

Norfolk (?)

there were three more blocks over on Saint Aidans, but I can't remember their names or colours)

(I remember Shrewsbury and Claywood, two of the tree blocks down on the Claywood drive development but that's nearer Park Hill than Norfolk Park and the one remaining, the yellow one, on Exeter drive, is called Hanover

#22 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

there were fifteen blocks on Norfolk Park.

they were all the same height, fifteen storeys (but those eight flats on the fifteenth floor weren't served by the lifts, you had to get a lift to the 14th floor and walk up a flight.)

there were eight flats on each floor, except the ground floors which had six flats, not eight. there were 126 flats, not 256, the numbering went up to 256 (on the even numbers)

Each block had a name given to it as well as the street address, eg

"242 Tower drive,
Grange block
Norfolk Park
SHEFFIELD
S2 XXX"

the colours were in use from before the 1980s, my aunt moved on to Mandrake Block, new, in the 1960s and it was colour coded then IIRC)

names and colours I can remember for the blocks were:-

Grange (tower drive) (pale green)

Tower (at the Park grange shops) (royal Blue)

Mandrake (Park Grange View) (green)

East Bank (orange) (One of two on Park Grange mount)

Kenninghall (kenninghall Mount) (yellow, the other on KM was sludge brown)

Guildford (blue or yellow?Guildford ?Drive? Mount? view?)

Beldon (Beldon drive) ( snuff brown)

Talbot

Norfolk (?)

there were three more blocks over on Saint Aidans, but I can't remember their names or colours)

(I remember Shrewsbury and Claywood, two of the tree blocks down on the Claywood drive development but that's nearer Park Hill than Norfolk Park and the one remaining, the yellow one, on Exeter drive, is called Hanover

Thanks for that plain talker, explains perfectly why I thought there were 256 flats and not 126, I had a mate who lived on the top floor (15th not 13th then) of the block where the tram stop is for Arbourthorne Road and he lived in number 256. I don't remember the blocks being coloured before the painting in the early 80's though. I know the pictures I have posted are black and white but they do all look very similar, just as I remember them at the time. The 3 blocks on St. Aidans looked out over the park and old quarry where the captive queen pub was built in 1972 in one direction, but had views of City Road cemetry in the other! I can't remember a great deal about them except that they demolished in August 1999 while I was abroad on holiday. The block at the bottom of Northern Avenue that I took all the pictures from was demolished in November of the same year. I took my young son to see it from a viewpoint on Arbourthorne playing fields, but As I said previously, it was a sad loss.

Throughout the period 1967 to 1999 those tower blocks dominated the Sheffield sky line, they were an icon which marked out a general view of the city as immediately being Sheffield. If you had been down south and came back on the train, if you looked out of the window to the right as you approached Midland Station those blocks were there towering above you and welcoming you home! These days you can only see that other soon to suffer the same fate iconic block of flats, Park Hill, but being only 5 floors (I think) high, they don't dominate the view as well

Again thanks for the info, perhaps we should try to compile a complete set for posterity and other interested users of this site as there seems to be quite a few

#23 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Just found out another photo.
This one is dated 1979, it is taken from the same location as my first picture in an earlier post but is much sharper and clearer, unfortunately it also has a few "marks" on it. At least the detail in the flats and further beyond is better.

Attached Images

• NPF3.jpg

#24 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Just found out another photo.
This one is dated 1979, it is taken from the same location as my first picture in an earlier post but is much sharper and clearer, unfortunately it also has a few "marks" on it. At least the detail in the flats and further beyond is better.

the two closest to the front are the "other" Guildford blocks, Guildford Ave, where the new Norfolk heritage (/) school is now, with Mandrake block on the left-rear, (Park grange View) and immediately to the right are the two blocks of Park Grange Mount, one of which was "East Bank".

#25 The Giraffe

The Giraffe

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

I Am sure that the blocks on that picture are the Kenninghall Mount blocks. I had a cousin who lived on the 15th floor of KM.

Two aunts lived on NP. too, one on the 10th floor of Mandrake Block (the green block by the top bridge) and the other on the 15th floor of Beldon block, the brown Block on Beldon Road, which was beside the tram stop.

I lived for a short time on that block, too, in a flat on the 6th floor.

My sister lived on the 12th floor of one of the Guildford blocks nearest Northern Avenue.

This is definitely the Kenninghall Mount block - Talbot

I used to live in this block on the 5th floor - 1992 - 1993

I always called it the Brown Block - cause it was painted brown!

The downstairs main door was broken and always open. The first weekend I moved in the lift was set on fire.

I used to try and remember to go to the Co-Op in town before I got on the bus or I would have to go the to Co-Op at the bottom of the hill and lug my shopping up!

I remember it being a place of high winds, especially on the bridge in this picture!

I used to go in the Horse and Lion a fair bit too, dead over the road.

#26 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

Incidentally, does anyone have some gravy, to go with my portion of Humble-pie, please?

My normally razor-sharp memory let me down, WRT the colours of the blocks, and I have to hold my hands up and apologise, the blocks on NP and Claywood weren't colour coded. they were a grey-ish colour,

I have remembered the Claywood flats being painted, in the late seventies/ very early eighties. (A friend lived on the yellow block of Claywood in 1981)

#27 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

OK, we've made a start on the pictures so what about some memories of the place. Although I have many happy memories of friends who lived on these blocks I can also remember.

1) At least 2 suicides / accidental deaths by jumping or falling from balconies on the higher floors.

2) A murder on one of the the St. Aidens blocks in January 1973

3) A burglar known as "spiderman" whose crimes included burglaries on the higher floors of the building which he did by climbing the outside of the block and entering the flats from the open balconies.

4) Several fires on some of the blocks, possibly accidental or maybe arson inspired by watching the film "the towering inferno". These fire must have been very worrying for neighbours, especially those directly above, and must have been a nightmare for the fire brigade to deal with.

5) Being at a friends flat on the top floor in high winds and feeling the whole block physically move and sway in the gusts.

Have any members got other memories like this or can anyone elaborate on any of these.

#28 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

OK, we've made a start on the pictures so what about some memories of the place. Although I have many happy memories of friends who lived on these blocks I can also remember.

1) At least 2 suicides / accidental deaths by jumping or falling from balconies on the higher floors.

2) A murder on one of the the St. Aidens blocks in January 1973

3) A burglar known as "spiderman" whose crimes included burglaries on the higher floors of the building which he did by climbing the outside of the block and entering the flats from the open balconies.

4) Several fires on some of the blocks, possibly accidental or maybe arson inspired by watching the film "the towering inferno". These fire must have been very worrying for neighbours, especially those directly above, and must have been a nightmare for the fire brigade to deal with.

5) Being at a friends flat on the top floor in high winds and feeling the whole block physically move and sway in the gusts.

Have any members got other memories like this or can anyone elaborate on any of these.

A bit of a horror story, from me I'm afraid...

My Aunt and Uncle, and my cousins lived on the 10th floor of the Mandrake Block. One particular day, whilst they were playing, of my cousins' friends decided to peer through an open lift door on one of the upper floors, (the door had broken, the lift shaft was open,and the lift wasn't there). The lift was higher up in the shaft. Someone on a lower floor called the lift. The lift came past, struck him, and killed him.

This event would have been mid/ late seventies, as the lad killed was the same age as me and my cousins, and we were all still at school.

I also heard rumours about the lad my sister "courted" when she was still at school. (she went to a special school) The rumours were that, as a young baby, this boy was thrown off an upper balcony of the NP flats, by his parents, he survived, miraculously, but the resultant head injury left him with brain damage, and learning difficulties.

WRT the "Spiderman" burglar, I remember those burglaries being reported in the local paper. How the perpetrator didn't kill themselves, by plunging off the side of the building, I'll never know. (but, then again, I am the type of "wuss" who gets vertigo, when she wears platform shoes...!!!)

When I lived on the Beldon block, I think my next door neighbours must have been related to this "Spiderman" fella... they were proper ruffians, and druggies, and boasted to me about how they'd burgled my flat, when the previous occupant had been living there, and how they'd climbed over the balcony to get access. Dreadful, dreadful people.

#29 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

When I lived on the Beldon block, I think my next door neighbours must have been related to this "Spiderman" fella... they were proper ruffians, and druggies, and boasted to me about how they'd burgled my flat, when the previous occupant had been living there, and how they'd climbed over the balcony to get access. Dreadful, dreadful people.

Hmm.. "Druggies and ruffians". There were certain blocks / floors / landings / flats that it was best to avoid as they were places where drug dealers, pimps, prostitutes, gangs of youths, unsociable families of local notority and other social undesirables hung out. This seemed to get worse as time went by and the estate sadly became more run down. I think that people like that, "druggies and ruffians", were in part responsible for the demise of these otherwise good, modern council flat homes.

#30 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

Talking of dangerous landings and the risk of falling from high places here are a couple more of my old (1979) pictures taken in one of the blocks. they both show a view from the top floor down the centre of the spiral staircase. Very scarey places to be at times. I haven't got a shot down the lift shaft though, although it would look even scarier and more impressive it is not easily accesible or practical to take without great risk to your life as plain talker has pointed out

Attached Images

• scan0005.jpg
  • scan0006.jpg

#31 SWEETCHEEKS

SWEETCHEEKS

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

The 3 blocks facing City Road were St Aidan`s Drive, St Aidan`s Close and St Aidan`s Mount. The 2 blocks adjacent the park entrance were Guildford Close and Guildford Drive.
Thanks everybody for the memories posted on here, I lived and worked on the estate from 1974 till 1983. I do have a few photographs taken from the flats but I need to work out how to upload them. he he

#32 nat07

nat07

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:14 AM

Hi there

I'm a new member and those flats shown are not the kenninghall mount blocks. These flats are the ones where the new Norfolk School is now built but i never knew the names of these ones.I lived in the Kenninghall mount block, the one right on top of the hill that overlooked the long field down towards the Earl Marshall pub and yes i can remember the gale force winds.It was a nightmare getting home if you were out.

#33 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hi there

I'm a new member and those flats shown are not the kenninghall mount blocks. These flats are the ones where the new Norfolk School is now built but i never knew the names of these ones.I lived in the Kenninghall mount block, the one right on top of the hill that overlooked the long field down towards the Earl Marshall pub and yes i can remember the gale force winds.It was a nightmare getting home if you were out.

Hi, Nat.

Welcome to the Sheffield history forum!

this pic

is definitely a picture of the blocks that were on Kenninghall Mount, and not the ones on Guildford.

The clues are:-

a ) the blocks on Guildford would have had Arbourthorne playing fields' hill and the two blocks of flats that were adjacent to Northern Avenue visible, and

b ) Guildford didn't have the bridge over Park Grange Road, which you can quite clearly see in the lower left hand side of the pic. There were two such bridges over Park Grange Road. One went between the shops and Tower Drive, the other a few hundred yards up the hill, went between the Mandrake block and Kenninghall Mount. (the one in that pic)

#34 SteveHB

SteveHB

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

Lots of points of interest on this aerial view
this was taken from my hot air balloon in the mid sixties ..... hahahaha
Would someone kindly put names to the tower blocks numbers please.
norfolk_park_estate_X2..jpg

#35 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Lots of points of interest on this aerial view
that was taken from my hot air balloon in the mid sixties ..... hahahaha
Would someone kindly put names to the tower blocks numbers please.
norfolk_park_estate_X2..jpg

OK Steve, I've been working on this one for a week or two now. Surprising how these blocks have only been gone a few years and already the details are becoming confused and vague. After a fair bit of searching and asking people I know who lived in the flats heres a first attempt. I can't guarantee its 100% accurate, especially when 2 blocks with different names share the same street address so corrections would be welcomed. As this is a data table I would also like to add a column for the colour of each block which it was painted in its later years.

Using SteveHB's photos and numbering system,

1 Guildford View (Guildford)
2 Guildford View (Shrewsbury)
3 Guildford Drive (Beechview)
4 Guildford Close (Bankside)
5 Beldon Close (Mickley)
6 Kenninghall Place (Cliffe)
7 Kenninghall Mount (Talbot)
8 Park Grange View (Jervis)
9 Beeches Drive (Mandrake)
10 Park Grange Mount (East Bank)
11 Park Grange Mount (Spring)
12 Tower Drive (Grange)

Missing from the photo somewhere off top left are the 3 blocks on St. Aidens,

13 St. Aidens Drive (Howard)
14 St. Aidens Close (Fitzalan)
15 St. Aidens Mount (Granville)

These are the 15 blocks on Norfolk Park, off the estate towards town were 3 other blocks on Claywood

16 Claywood Drive (Claywood)
17 Claywood Drive (Fitzwalter)
18 Claywood Drive (Norfolk)

An down in the City itself there is one block built to this same design still standing

19 Exeter Drive (Hanover)

Hope this information is useful. I will update / correct it if more details become available

#36 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hi there

Hi Nat07,

You are correct, the 2 blocks closest in my picture are the blocks on guildfords drive and close called Bankside and Beechview. The picture was taken from the top floor of the other guildford blocks on guildford view at the bottom of Northern Avenue. As you say this is now the site of the new Norfolk School just outside Norfolk Park. To make it a bit clearer about the bridge, (this is much further away, nearer the Kenninghall and Beldon Road blocks) I have found 2 extra, rather scratchy photos from the same viewpoint. The first shows a view downwards, showing Park Grange Road, Guildford Walk and its Vic-Hallam houses and just the base of these 2 blocks of flats. The second picture shows the view slightly to the right of the first and includes not the bridge but the underpass ubder Park Grange Road and the footpath down to the Park Entrance at the lodge and cottages.

Attached Images

• scan0001.jpg
  • scan0002.jpg

#37 SteveHB

SteveHB

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hope this information is useful. I will update / correct it if more details become available

Thanks for Your help Dave,
we shall wait and see what the other members can add.

#38 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

8 Park Grange View (Jervis)
9 Beeches Drive (Mandrake)

I think these two blocks are swapped over.

Mandrake was the one by the bridge to Kenninghall Mount, immediately below the "horse and flying bottle" (horse and lion) which was Park Grange View, (my aunt lived on the 10th floor of this one, from the sixties).

Jervis was the dark blue block which stood by Bluestone School/the shops, on Beeches.

OK plain talker, thanks for spotting the mistake. That makes more sense about what you and others have said in this thread about Mandrake, and it also makes more sense that Jervis, on Beeches Drive near the shops is also closer to the Jervis Lum pub. So ignoring the colours for the time being here is my first update

1 Guildford View (Guildford)
2 Guildford View (Shrewsbury)
3 Guildford Drive (Beechview)
4 Guildford Close (Bankside)
5 Beldon Close (Mickley)
6 Kenninghall Place (Cliffe)
7 Kenninghall Mount (Talbot)
8 Park Grange View (Mandrake)
9 Beeches Drive (Jervis)
10 Park Grange Mount (East Bank)
11 Park Grange Mount (Spring)
12 Tower Drive (Grange)
13 St. Aidens Drive (Howard)
14 St. Aidens Close (Fitzalan)
15 St. Aidens Mount (Granville)
16 Claywood Drive (Claywood)
17 Claywood Drive (Fitzwalter)
18 Claywood Drive (Norfolk)
19 Exeter Drive (Hanover)

#39 SteveHB

SteveHB

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

A full resolution image of my previous one.
__file_size_reduced.jpg

And another duel image with some places of interest marked on it.
Can any of our members add more to the list?
norfolk_park_est_places_areas_of_interest__a___p.jpg
A / Travelers Rest, PH
B / Norfolk School
C / Carlton Cinema
D / Arbourthorne Hotel, PH
E / Arbourthorne Pond
F / Fellbrigg PH
G / Norfolk Park, Pavilion/Cafe
H / Foot-bridge over Jervis Lum
I / Horse & Lion, PH
J / Jervis Lum, wood
K / Bluestone School
L / Black Bank (area)
M / Jervis Lum, PH
N / Park Gange Dv Shopping Area,
also on site a Community centre / Social club
O / Midhill WMC
P / SR Gent's
--------------------------------------
Yet to be added to the alphabetical list & view are ...
Vulcan PH
Olive Grove PH

#40 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

A full resolution image of my previous one.
__file_size_reduced.jpg

And another duel image with some places of interest marked on it.
Can any of our members add more to the list?
norfolk_park_est_places_areas_of_interest__a___p.jpg
A / Travelers Rest, PH
B / Norfolk School
C / Carlton Cinema
D / Arbourthorne Hotel, PH
E / Arbourthorne Pond
F / PH ? *
G / Norfolk Park, Pavilion/Cafe
H / Foot-bridge over Jervis Lum
I / Horse & Lion, PH
J / Jervis Lum, wood
K / Bluestone School
L / Black Bank (area)
M / Jervis Lum, PH
N / Shopping Area
O / Midhill WMC
P / SR Gent's
*I can't remember that pubs name ?

The fellbrigg, now the Beacon church building?