The Minerva Tavern

Dave Milner

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 15.43.25.jpg

THE MINERVA TAVERN
Used to go here every other Friday to see McCluskey's Apocalypse in the early 1970s.

Got to drink more drinks here that I'd never had before, as the bar was next to the stage. The the bar staff couldn't hear what your order was or hear when you told them you'd got the wrong drink. eg First time I drunk Whisky Mac I'd ordered Whisky & Dry Ginger but I got to like it! :)

Never say McCluskey's Apocalypse, but me and a bunch of mates did once use the name as a quiz-team-name; the quiz-master had a slight problem pronouncing it, and we ended up as McAck :blink:

Tell us more about 'mccluskeys apocalpyse' - sounds interesting !

McCloskey's Apocalypse were a trio of Ray Higgins (Lead Singer, Lead Guitarist & glass eater), Mick Wilson (Bass, Violin & various other instruments) & Dave Seville(drums).

In "Not Like a Proper Job" by John Firminger & Martin Lilleker, Published:2001, ISBN: 1-872204-80-5, it say:

That they started in August 1968 & disbanded in April 1973. They spell McCloskey's with an O instead of a U as I did. There's about 6 pages in there (pages 226-232) about them.

They played the Broadfield, Dog & Partridge (Attercliffe) but i remember them playing The Minerva Tavern. I also saw them play the back room in The Raven, Open Air Concerts in Weston Park & an acoustic session at the Prince of Wales Folk Club.

They wrote their own rock opera "Punch & Judy" which they played at the Sheffield University Drama Studio on Glossop Road in January 1972.

It's hard to describe their music, you had to be there! (to believe it)

I found this picture on the web a few days ago of them at an Open Air Cocert in Weston Park but I can't remember where & I can't find it again so I can't acknowledge the source, sorry.

Excellent !

Thanks for posting that - I'm going to dig up some more on them as it could be a good story..

Not sure that this is the correct place for this little memoir but...I remember seeing McCloskeys Apocolypse several times. At one performance they recommended that everyone go to see a play called "I was Hitler's Valet" at the Sheffield Playhouse on Townhead Street. On their recommendation I went along with my boyfriend. It was a very wierd experience.

In those days (late 60's) people dressed up when they went to the theatre - so we did too (I in my obligatory long velvet dress). In the foyer of the theatre there was a small exhibition of things which were supposed to be Hitler's artefacts. These included "Hitler's rubber duck" and "Hitler's favourite bedtime story". Thanks to McClockeys recommendation, there were quite a few other "rock types" mingling with the regular, evening gowned theatre goers, and I think we were the first ones to realise that it was all a little tongue in cheek.

The performance itself was most bizarre. A lot of it involved the two main male characters standing front stage and dropping their trousers on a regular basis. The MOST bizarre scene was where a female wearing a plastic body cast underneath her clothes was attacked by the two men, stripped and murdered. Vast amounts of (I assume) animal entrails were strewn across the stage as she was supposedly disembowelled. The theatre echoed to the sound of regular theatre goers jumping up and leaving the theatre in disgust throughout the performance.

I remember leaving the theatre in a bit of a daze myself. I was only about 15, so it was all a bit mind blowing to me. It also seemed rather strange that the 2 men were happily showing their "bits" in all their glory for no obvious reason, but the woman wore a plastic replica of a naked female body..........if anyone else ever saw this performance, can they please tell me what it was about?

gahahahahahaha !!!

Fantastic !

Shock performance eh ?

Jim Morrison once saw a play that shocked like that on the night before he supposedly exposed himself to the crowd in Miami and got himself arrested on charges of being publically indecent, so I hope the same didn't apply to you and that you weren't influenced to shock people after seeing the play !

lol

Guest MartinC

McCloskey's Apocalypse were a trio of Ray Higgins (Lead Singer, Lead Guitarist & glass eater), Mick Wilson (Bass, Violin & various other instruments) & Dave Seville(drums).

In "Not Like a Proper Job" by John Firminger & Martin Lilleker, Published:2001, ISBN: 1-872204-80-5, it say:

That they started in August 1968 & disbanded in April 1973. They spell McCloskey's with an O instead of a U as I did. There's about 6 pages in there (pages 226-232) about them.

They played the Broadfield, Dog & Partridge (Attercliffe) but i remember them playing The Minerva Tavern. I also saw them play the back room in The Raven, Open Air Concerts in Weston Park & an acoustic session at the Prince of Wales Folk Club.

They wrote their own rock opera "Punch & Judy" which they played at the Sheffield University Drama Studio on Glossop Road in January 1972.

It's hard to describe their music, you had to be there! (to believe it)

I found this picture on the web a few days ago of them at an Open Air Cocert in Weston Park but I can't remember where & I can't find it again so I can't acknowledge the source, sorry.

Guest MartinC

Mant thanks for the photo of McCloskeys Apocalypse,i too saw them play on the bandstand in Weston Park.It would be circa 1971 i think.There was a few other bands playing as well,i think one was called Acid.

Mrs. Eliza Ann SHELTON Vict. Minerva Tavern 69 Charles Street White's 1911

Mrs Annie EYRE Vict. Minerva Tavern 69 Charles Street White's 1919

Mrs Annie EYRE Vict. Minerva Tavern 69 Charles Street Kelly's 1925

There were other Minerva's, see other posts

Guest suehobson

Used to go here every other Friday to see McCluskey's Apocalypse in the early 1970s.

Got to drink more drinks here that I'd never had before, as the bar was next to the stage. The the bar staff couldn't hear what your order was or hear when you told them you'd got the wrong drink. eg First time I drunk Whisky Mac I'd ordered Whisky & Dry Ginger but I got to like it! :)

Guest suehobson

Hi people in sheffield. I m living in Perth Australia.I was mucking around on the internet and thought I d write McCloskey,s,apocalypse. I couldn t believe something came up. I was only 17 [under age] when a few of us used to go to the Minerva. It was a great night.I relate to the shouting over the bar.The main song I remember was last orders please they used to sing.We used to go very often.Then 5 or 6 of us use to pile into a reliant to get home.Those were the days. What did happen to them I wonder?

There's coincidence -- I also hit on this site yesterday, after Googling "McCloskey's Apocalypse", who I remember from my years as a student in Sheffield, 1967-70.

Mick Wilson also used to appear solo at folk clubs and the like, singing his own material to a guitar accompaniment. His style, both as songwriter and performer, was rather acerbic. I remember him using the following lines in a talking blues to close his act..

"It's time for me to urinate

and speak in the Abortion Bill debate

and hang a sign upon my gate

that says... so long... that's all folks."

Also another line which perhaps shouldn't now be quoted out of context, especially as it's suggested that he has gone into academic life -- there's a Mick Wilson listed by Salford University as Head of Composition in the School Of Media, Music and Performance.

Guest shazaroony

Hello all, new to this site, i'm not actually Shazaroony she's my missus. I remember seeing MCcloskys at the Minerva about 70-71 the place was packed out and the audience was close to the stage.

The lead singer took a swig of petrol from a bottle, blew it out and lit it with a cig lighter. A long haired lad sat at the front copped for it and one side of his hair went up in flames, this caused a mass brawl, everybody in the pub (including the band) seemed to be involved i dont think i've laughed so much in my life.

I even remember the song they were playing at the time, The Seeker by The Who.

Great site by the way, i'll try and post some more.

Cheers. Ronnie.

Guest steve bailey

Never saw Mcloskeys at the Minerva but wes a regular on Fridays at the Broadfield.

Does anyone else recall the night Ray did the fire breathing and set some guys hair on fire ... oh to be young

Guest malicorne5

What an amazing thing this Internet is, eh? Was browsing through looking for references to The Raven pub and up pops this stuff about McCloskey's Apocalypse. Yikes. Stirrings of long dormant brain cells...

Mick and the lads were regular frequenters of The Raven in the late 60s and early 70s as I was in fact. The landlord of The Raven was Lawrence (Loll) Flood, with his wife Marjorie (Madge), and perennial bartender Maurice (pronounced "Morris") who was also perennially bonking Madge. Anyone do the Thursday night Black Pudding thing? Free food was quite common in Sheffield pubs on Thursday and Friday night. I think the idea was originally to lure workers in on the day they got their paychecks. In the case of The Raven, it simply lured hungry students such as myself with the irresistible allure of small (but free) amounts boiled black pudding and bread. Sumptuous feast indeed.

The Raven was quite a gathering spot in those days, dirty noisy place that it was. It had a couple of "front rooms" each about the size of a decent wardrobe and a long back room with decaying faux leather seats and little round stools sitting on a floor of ragged lino. You had to get there early on Thursday to get a seat. I think it was popular mostly because it was popular.

Funny how those old pubs had a "best" room up front where beer was an extra penny or two a pint. Generally the "best" room or "lounge bar" was simply a more cramped version of the main room where the plebs drank, though in earlier days, single women would only get served in the best room. Rather odd really.

McCloskey's Apocalypse was a pretty competent little band, one of the types that often hang around a University scene, though I don't think any of them went to Shefflield or indeed any university. They were always trying new things and had quite a robust, if generally inebriated, following around Sheffield. They were one of the perennial go-to bands whenever a free concert was mooted. I don't think they ever recorded or anything, though I could be wrong. Recording was a pretty big and expensive thing in those days. Earlier in the thread someone has given a brief history of the band. Thanks.

Somewhere I have photos of The Raven. If I can disinter them, I will scan and post. Any other Raven attendees of the same era?

Somewhere I have photos of The Raven. If I can disinter them, I will scan and post. Any other Raven attendees of the same era?

Look forward to pictures, Raven was my favourite in the late 70's/early '80's before the downgrade.

I also just decided to Google for McCloskeys Apocalypse as I suddenly remembered them during an exchange on Friends Reunited. I lived near the Minerva Tavern until I left home for Uni in 1971.

I'm also sure that I once saw McCloskeys on stage at the Art College at the top of Psalter Lane as support to a band called the Pink Fairies (I think!). It's all very hazy now but that would have been 1970 or 1971.

I can't really remember the performances but this was the same time as I was seeing the likes of Rory Gallagher and Led Zep in Sheffield and I certainly remember them!

Anyone else at the McCloskeys / Pink Fairies gig?

Richard

Guest iainheavy

I also googled McClusley's Apocalypse while daydreaming and ended up here. They used to play regularly at The Greyhound pub in Louth, Lincolnshire in the late 60s and early 70s. A mixture of screaming feedback-laden chaos and Principal Edwards' style psychedelic story telling/morality playlets. Often the guitar player would end up hiding behind the speakers just letting his painted Stratocaster howl. He wasn't the most fluid of guitarists in the then-current blues/rock idiom, but the great thing was that he didn't care and just went for it.

The only Sheffield-related thing I can add is that the favourite band at The Greyhound was the Dust, featuring then bass-player Bram Tchaikovsky later of the Motors and his eponymous band which had hits in the USA. Bram later played in a blues band called the Kneetremblers with Nibbs Carter now ( for the last 20 or so years) of Sheffield NWOBHM favourites Saxon. I was in that band and so was Steve something who was the drummer in Def Leppard before they were famous. Paul Quinn joined us for a handful of gigs too.

Guest mick wilson

does anyone know what there doin now

I did various music things - yes, it's me at Salford University Music Division, still there - including a music degree & a PhD in composition at York U., a band called Acrobats of Desire (electric string quartet with singers & percussion), a large community tuned percussion orchestra - Cragg Vale Gamelan, & some music theatre - most recently 'Caliban's Beach' (2009).

Lately I've been more involved in visual art, mainly painting, & currently have a solo exhibition at Artsmill, Hebden Bridge, Wed-Sun 11.00 - 16.00, till April 24, 2011.

There's a web-site: mickwilson@smugmug.com where among other items you'll find a c.v.

McCloskeys re-formed for a couple of years in 2001, playing a number of gigs at Ecclesall Non-Pots club, & The White Lion, Heeley.

Thanks to all those who were there - wild times!

Mick Wilson

Guest EddieVasselino

Hey Mick, |Hi. Your much awaited reply killed the thread...chuckle.

I saw McKloskey's twice at Rotherham Clifton Hall (which is now a car park). I remember there being something Zappa going on which required the lighting of magnesium ribbon. I would have entered by a fire door as I was too young to enter by the main door.

I also saw you at Weston Park along with Hot Property from Rotherham.

I hope you are well. :)