Nether Hallam Barracks

Guest davlin

Hi All

I am trying to find more info on my g grandfather Charles Hobbs. On the 1891 census he is listed as Rankt File at Nether Hallam Barracks. Can any one help in identifying the regiments that were stationed there at that time, and where I could enquire as to whether service records still exist ? Many thanks

Hi All

I am trying to find more info on my g grandfather Charles Hobbs. On the 1891 census he is listed as Rankt File at Nether Hallam Barracks. Can any one help in identifying the regiments that were stationed there at that time, and where I could enquire as to whether service records still exist ? Many thanks

Hi And welcome to the Forum. There's a book in the library called "From Bailey to Bailey". It's in the Local Studies Library but there are loan copies available elsewhere. It has a list of al the regiments which were stationed at the 2 barracks in Sheffield. (I'm assuming you're in Sheffield. If not, let us know and we'll see what we can do!))

Hi And welcome to the Forum. There's a book in the library called "From Bailey to Bailey". It's in the Local Studies Library but there are loan copies available elsewhere. It has a list of al the regiments which were stationed at the 2 barracks in Sheffield. (I'm assuming you're in Sheffield. If not, let us know and we'll see what we can do!))

Horse Barracks to you, Pal

Scrap yard (as was) bottom of Whitehouse Lane, but well before 1891.

Hi Bayleaf

Not sure whether I've pressed the correct button to respond to your message or not , I'll get more used to it eventualy !

Thank you very much for your reply, unfortunately I live in Nuneaton (Warwickshire) and although I did go to Sheffield last year to find out where my dad was born it is quite a distance to travel. Do you think this book might be worth ordering at my local library ?

Hi All

Barracks; Artillery and Infantry-Hobbs-Charles-rank & file-S- 27-gunner Royal Artillery-Northants-Irthlingboro.

Hi Bayleaf

Not sure whether I've pressed the correct button to respond to your message or not , I'll get more used to it eventualy !

Thank you very much for your reply, unfortunately I live in Nuneaton (Warwickshire) and although I did go to Sheffield last year to find out where my dad was born it is quite a distance to travel. Do you think this book might be worth ordering at my local library ?

My cryptic reply was to do with "From Bailey to Bailey" ,,, a very interesting read - I've Chapters 1 and 2 - would like to see the rest.

Barracks; Artillery and Infantry-Hobbs-Charles-rank & file-S- 27-gunner Royal Artillery-Northants-Irthlingboro.

Thanks for the info , Neddy

Hi Devlin.

The regiments at the Barracks in 1891 were.

2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regiment (Lt Col Thomas)

11th Field Battery (Maj F A Aylmer)

1st Field Battery Royal Artillary (Maj Daniells)

I think that Charles Dodds was a private in the latter regiment as it states on the census that he was a gunner in the Royal Artillary. Stating the obvious I know but you might not have connected to this.

What other information do you have on him...was his middle name SWAN..?

Angela

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you for the info. I don't know a great deal about him apart from what is listed on the census' Charles Swann Hobbs married Eliza Ann Coleman in 1894 and it is their son Leonard Overton Hobbs who was I believe my grandfather.

I'm trying to find out more about his service history to see why he was in Sheffield when, from what I can tell, prior to this and later when he married he lived in Northampton.

Not knowing much about the military I don't know how it works. If he signed up in Northampton I would have thought he would have been enlisted into the local Northants Royal Artillery rather than Sheffield. Or are they one and the same ?

Many thanks.

The records of the Royal Artillery who were based in Woolwich are available at the National Archives in Kew in series WO10.

These are the pay lists and muster rolls, and you can follow a soldier through his career month by month. Where they were born or joined up is not the issue, they were posted all over the country with their regiment. I have researched a chap recently through the pay lists and muster rolls who was born in Manchester, joined the Royal Horse Artillary, stationed in Woolwich and Chatham fought at Waterloo and then ended up at the barracks in Pontefract were he retired from the army, and lived out his days in Hemsworth Yorkshire.

WO 96 (War Office: Militia Attestation Papers 1806-1915)

WO 97 (Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents 1760-1913)

These records are being digitised at the present time and WO97 is available at www.findmypast.com, but I have checked these and he is not listed.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your invaluable knowledge and your attempt to assist me .

It looks as if I will have to do some serious research in order to get an insight into his life, but at least now, thanks to you , I have at least a starting point,

Many thanks, Steve

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your invaluable knowledge and your attempt to assist me .

It looks as if I will have to do some serious research in order to get an insight into his life, but at least now, thanks to you , I have at least a starting point,

Many thanks, Steve

Hi Steve.

You are welcome.....his attestation papers should be among the WO96 series. WO = War Office. These should be available online early 2011

Angela

Guest kit plim

forgive my ignorance - I don't know Sheffield - but was Nether Hallam Barracks in Sheffield the Hillsborough Barracks or are they two different places??

where was / is the Nether Hallam Barracks located???

my ancestor's relation James LANE was a private there in 1851

any help welcome - thank you

;-)

forgive my ignorance - I don't know Sheffield - but was Nether Hallam Barracks in Sheffield the Hillsborough Barracks or are they two different places??

where was / is the Nether Hallam Barracks located???

my ancestor's relation James LANE was a private there in 1851

any help welcome - thank you

;-)

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

I've never heard them called the Nether Hallam Barracks, but the ones you're referring to would I think be the Sheffield Barracks, often called the Horse Barracks, as they housed only cavalry.

They were built in response to civil unrest in the town, which resulted in dragoons being brought in from Nottingham, York or Manchester to restore order and support the civil authorities. It was deemed better to have troops on the spot.

The new barracks at Hillsborough were built between 1849 and 1854, with troops moving in as various parts were finished.

The old barracks were closed, and the town council tried to acquire the site for public recreational use, but it was sold off, being used later for housing.

You can pick out the site on the present map, bordered by Penistone Road, Barrack Lane, Langsett Road, and Wood Street. At the time they were built they would have been outside the town.

As far as I can tell, the regiment in Sheffield in 1851 would have been 3rd (Prince of Wales') Dragoon Guards, but someone may know otherwise.

There are a few details of the barracks you might find interesting.

There were 26 dormitory rooms ranging in size from 17'0'' x 15'0'' to 23'6'' x 17'0'' for use by NCO's and privates. The standard design for barracks of this type was 2 or 3 storeys. The stables were on the ground floor with the soldiers' dormitories above. Given the relative overcrowding and poor sanitary conditions of the time, the barracks were smelly, and at night noisy, what with snoring men and restless horses.

The men had no room specifically set aside for their ablutions, though their laundry was better catered for by the provision of a seperate wash-house. There was also a cookhouse with ten 16-gallon boilers.

A hospital large enough to hold 19 patients was built at the Barrack Lane/Penistone Road corner of the site. This area also housed the officers' quarters.

In the diagonally opposite corner a riding school was later erected. There was stabling for about 170 horses.

The barracks were said to be noted for their having whitewashed walls.

Barracks, 1841?

Barracks, 1841?

I think that map is 1849, but, not well regarded as regards accuracy. The Horse Barracks were in a right old state well before 1849 ... even back into the 1830's.

I've never heard of Nether Hallam Barracks either.

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

The new barracks at Hillsborough were built between 1849 and 1854, with troops moving in as various parts were finished.

The old barracks were closed, and the town council tried to acquire the site for public recreational use, but it was sold off, being used later for housing.

Barracks, 1841?

Hello 'bayleaf'. Go on google maps, type in Balaclava Road, look at the bottom side and to the rear of what is now a builders merchants. The stone work you can see is allegedly part of the original barracks. W/E.

All I've managed there is to make myself feel "travel sick".

Thirza Street is named for a daughter of one of the barracks staff, Gertrude Street too.

Hello 'bayleaf'. Go on google maps, type in Balaclava Road, look at the bottom side and to the rear of what is now a builders merchants. The stone work you can see is allegedly part of the original barracks. W/E.

Mmm... not sure about that . Wrong side of the road? Battle of Balaclava was 1854, about the time the old barracks was sold off. A plan of the barracks dated 1850 shows nothing that side of Barrack Lane except a cricket ground. Equally 'allegedly' the last remaining part was the old hospital and officers quarters at the corner of Barrack Lane and Penistone Rd., still there in 1992 but now gone.

Mmm... not sure about that . Wrong side of the road? Battle of Balaclava was 1854, about the time the old barracks was sold off. A plan of the barracks dated 1850 shows nothing that side of Barrack Lane except a cricket ground. Equally 'allegedly' the last remaining part was the old hospital and officers quarters at the corner of Barrack Lane and Penistone Rd., still there in 1992 but now gone.

I was told that the original route taken by what is now the modern Infirmary Road was up the old bit of Whitehouse Road (the bit that disappeared when the Kelvin was built) and then back down the bit of Whitehouse Road that still exists. In other words the bottom of Whitehouse Road split into two and the now gone bit entered Infirmary Road about where the Salvation Army Citadel is.

I thought that the top bit of the old barracks was located across the present top end of Infirmary Road and ran down to Penistone Road. Thinking about it, I think it was the excellent Mr. J. Edward Vickers who told me about it.

HD

I was told that the original route taken by what is now the modern Infirmary Road was up the old bit of Whitehouse Road (the bit that disappeared when the Kelvin was built) and then back down the bit of Whitehouse Road that still exists. In other words the bottom of Whitehouse Road split into two and the now gone bit entered Infirmary Road about where the Salvation Army Citadel is.

I thought that the top bit of the old barracks was located across the present top end of Infirmary Road and ran down to Penistone Road. Thinking about it, I think it was the excellent Mr. J. Edward Vickers who told me about it.

HD

This Alan Godfrey map of 1903 shows the road layout that HD describes. W/E.

Bunch of daughters Bertha, Thirza, Gertrude, Flora and Balaclava - one may be made up as a child ! - unsure of surname at the mo.

This Alan Godfrey map of 1903 shows the road layout that HD describes. W/E.

Bunch of daughters Bertha, Thirza, Gertrude, Flora and Balaclava - one may be made up as a child ! - unsure of surname at the mo.

According to the blessed Peter Harvey, the site of the barracks was bought by Joseph Stovin and John Wreaks in 1855. They built the 3 streets on the site, Florence Street, Gertrude Street, and Thirza Street. Mr Stovin's wife and daughter were both called Thirza, but he couldn't pin down the other names.

(Flora Street was originally called Florence Street, the name was changed in 1872 because there was another Florence Street).

Hello 'neddy'. So it looks as though Pagets at 238 Infirmary Road is where the bowling green used to be. I can go back as far as the late 40s when it was Parkers, but what do you reckon their premisses started off as ? W/E.

Hello 'neddy'. So it looks as though Pagets at 238 Infirmary Road is where the bowling green used to be. I can go back as far as the late 40s when it was Parkers, but what do you reckon their premisses started off as ? W/E.

I still call it Parkers, 1879 directory, a bit scetchy, last building before Balaclava Street, down as 224

Weightman John tobacconist

Rudd & Co. Brewers.

So perhaps a brewery?