Upper Chapel

Guest JSP

I am doing my family history and am researching James Fisher. I am lead to believe he was a unitarian minister and that he founded the Upper Chapel in Sheffield. Does anyone know anything about the history of the Upper Chapel? I have visited it but unfortunately the chapel was shut at that time but I did notice 3 graves at the front which were of the Fisher family! Unfortunately I live in Scarborough and won't be able to revisit Sheffield till September so this is my main source of information at the moment.

Thanks for any information,

JSP

I am doing my family history and am researching James Fisher. I am lead to believe he was a unitarian minister and that he founded the Upper Chapel in Sheffield. Does anyone know anything about the history of the Upper Chapel? I have visited it but unfortunately the chapel was shut at that time but I did notice 3 graves at the front which were of the Fisher family! Unfortunately I live in Scarborough and won't be able to revisit Sheffield till September so this is my main source of information at the moment.

Thanks for any information,

JSP

Hi and welcome JSP,

you could make a start by downloading this ..

History of Upper Chapel, Sheffield: Founded 1662

Click on 'All Files: HTTP' (on the L/H side) to open.

Right click on 'pdf' and 'Save Target As' ..

Or left click on 'pdf' and save.

All depends on what browser you use.

Hi and welcome JSP,

you could make a start by downloading this ..

History of Upper Chapel, Sheffield: Founded 1662

Click on 'All Files: HTTP' (on the L/H side) to open.

Right click on 'pdf' and 'Save Target As' ..

Or left click on 'pdf' and save.

All depends on what browser you use.

Thanks so much! This is absolutely fascinating! Can't believe I have not found this in my own research. Quite an unlucky life by the sounds of it, frequently in prison for religious treason.

Well we try and do our best you know :)

A SH link here to .. Obituary for William Fisher From the Christian Reformer, 1862

This book has turned out to be the best source yet. It has revealed a very sad and almost undeserved life. However I have discovered in his latter years he wrote a pretty popular book, 'The Wise Virgin". His neice had a disease which made her deaf, blind and paralyzed. However occaisionally, throughout the day, she would cry out with religious lines she remembered!

I think it is, perhaps, a little sad that they opened some of the graves, afterall most of my ancestors are buried there so could have been their graves they were poking around in! All in the name of progress i suppose.

Hi again, I visited the chapel for a second time in september and have a few images to upload.

I was quite surprised (and very happy) to find there was a portrait of James Fisher, the founder, on the wall. I was unaware of this and there isn't a mention anywhere on the internet.

JSP

Another,

Memorial to William Fisher Sen.

JSP

Photo from 'A Century of Thrift' Sheffield Savings Bank by Leader

Photo from 'A Century of Thrift' Sheffield Savings Bank by Leader

Thank-you very much for posting that, it's the first photograph I've seen of William, feel a tad emotional in fact haha.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't any photographs around of William Fisher, if anyone has seen one could they let me know? There are none in our family but who knows, there might be a few in a remote antique shop!

I equally didn't realise he was chairman of the Sheffield Savings Bank either, thanks!

Oops, been blabbering on like that, for those of you who didn't realise he is my great great great great grandfather :)

JP