Barrel / Fagans

Stuart0742

We received this by email today

Hi I was wondering if you new of or could find any info about the Barrel pub in Sheffield now called Fagans? I know my Great Grandfather was the land-lord (owner?) there in 1914. His name was Matthew Rogers and he was Irish. I am trying to find my family as I'm doing my family tree and I can find no records for Matthew or his wife, my Grand-dad was called James Rogers and he would have been 11/12 years when living at the pub. Please let me know if you have any info regarding them Thanks you for your time Regards Mandie Christophers

Hi I was wondering if you new of or could find any info about the Barrel pub in Sheffield now called Fagans? I know my Great Grandfather was the land-lord (owner?) there in 1914. His name was Matthew Rogers and he was Irish. I am trying to find my family as I'm doing my family tree and I can find no records for Matthew or his wife, my Grand-dad was called James Rogers and he would have been 11/12 years when living at the pub. Please let me know if you have any info regarding them Thanks you for your time Regards Mandie Christophers

Barrel Inn/Fagans (1985)

69 Broad Lane

Open 1818-20 or earlier, Closed Span 187

Comments became Fagan's; 1822 23 Broad Lane

1818-20 Elizabeth Ashton

1821 Elizabeth Ashton

1822 Elizabeth Ashton (23 Broad Lane)

1825 Elizabeth Ashton (23 Broad Lane)

1828 Mary Ashton

1829 Mary Ashton

1833 Mary Ashton

1834 Mary Ashton

1837 Abraham White (23 Broad Lane)

1839 Abraham White

1841 Abraham White

1845 Abraham White

1846 Abraham White

1849 Abraham White

1851 Abraham White

1852 Abraham White

1854 Charles Ledger

1856 Charles Ledger

1857 Charles Ledger

1861 Charles Ledger

1862 Charles Ledger

1864 Charles Ledger

1871 Charles Ledger

1881 Christopher Walbank

1893 Wyrill Clayton

1901 Albert Fidler

1905 Albert Fidler

1911 Albert Fidler

1925 Arthur Gledhill

1948 Alfred Wragg

1951 Joseph M Fagan

Picture here :

http://www.picturesh...ff.refno=s22124

and here :

http://www.flickr.co...-sheffieldpubs/ (Copyright Garry Lee Jackson)

The above from the A-Z with a few updates from my spreadsheet.

"I know my Great Grandfather was the land-lord (owner?) there in 1914. His name was Matthew Rogers and he was Irish." I would be very interested in seeing any evidence (Certificates, letters, envelopes etc etc) to confirm Matthew Rogers.

Ukelele Lady, any further updates (main record needs updating with the above).

I can't tell you anything of your family tree but I can say that your great grandfather

Matthew Rogers was also at the Barrell in 1917.

On saying that a Matthew Rogers married one of my ancesters from that area

and if any dates connect on this I'll come back on it.

I can't tell you anything of your family tree but I can say that your great grandfather

Matthew Rogers was also at the Barrell in 1917.

Good enough for me ...

Guest Jane B

Hi Mandie

My Great Great Grandfather was matthew Rogers, landlord of the Barrel Inn. He was there in 1915 when his son, also Matthew Rogers, was married to my great grandmother. Legend has it that the family originated in Ireland but so far I've not had any luck tracing them. Jane Burnett

Guest mandie

Hi Mandie

My Great Great Grandfather was matthew Rogers, landlord of the Barrel Inn. He was there in 1915 when his son, also Matthew Rogers, was married to my great grandmother. Legend has it that the family originated in Ireland but so far I've not had any luck tracing them. Jane Burnett

Hi Jane

It looks like we are related

Your Great Grandfather was my Grandads older brother .

My Grandad was called James and was born in Denaby in 1903, your Great Grandad was Matthew born in Denaby? in 1895, there dad Matthew was born in Sligo Ireland in 1871, he married Margaret Corcaron also from Sligo.

I have been doing the family tree and have traced back to my Great great great Grandfather who was from Ireland but not sure where, we always new the family were from Sligo.

My sister and myself are going over there in July this year to see what else we can find out, all very exciting.

can you tell me anything about yourself and your family? I now have lived overseas for a long time and am currently living in Sydney Australia.

I would love to know more about your family as I have no record of what happened to my Grandads brothers or sisters.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mandie

Guest Michael Sam

Hi Jane

It looks like we are related

Your Great Grandfather was my Grandads older brother .

My Grandad was called James and was born in Denaby in 1903, your Great Grandad was Matthew born in Denaby? in 1895, there dad Matthew was born in Sligo Ireland in 1871, he married Margaret Corcaron also from Sligo.

I have been doing the family tree and have traced back to my Great great great Grandfather who was from Ireland but not sure where, we always new the family were from Sligo.

My sister and myself are going over there in July this year to see what else we can find out, all very exciting.

can you tell me anything about yourself and your family? I now have lived overseas for a long time and am currently living in Sydney Australia.

I would love to know more about your family as I have no record of what happened to my Grandads brothers or sisters.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mandie

Joe Fagan was a Dambuster.

Tom Boulding had the pub renamed from The Barrel in his honour. tThe sign was pinched once and a new one had to be made. Alwayss a good Irish music pub. Claose to St Vincents the Catholic Church of the Irish area in the Crofts round Solly Street.

Joe Fagan was a Dambuster.

Tom Boulding had the pub renamed from The Barrel in his honour.

Most interesting; any further information to back this up anyone please ?

Guest Michael Sam

Most interesting; any further information to back this up anyone please ?

go in and talk to Tom Boulding he was a palof Joe's and has lots of tales of him.

Slightly off topic, I have been doing some updating on my family tree and have found that one of the earlier landlords; Charles Ledger born 1810 was a distant ancestor,in 1871 he moved to 13 Northumberland Road,where he is still listed as licensed victualler ,I cannot find any information about this property having ever been a pub,or was it just his home address???? Interestingly, in 1891 he is at a hydropathic establishment in Ashover with a Patrick Fagan b 1831 in Ireland. 

4 hours ago, huthwaite said:

Slightly off topic, I have been doing some updating on my family tree and have found that one of the earlier landlords; Charles Ledger born 1810 was a distant ancestor,in 1871 he moved to 13 Northumberland Road,where he is still listed as licensed victualler ,I cannot find any information about this property having ever been a pub,or was it just his home address???? Interestingly, in 1891 he is at a hydropathic establishment in Ashover with a Patrick Fagan b 1831 in Ireland. 

1871 Directory has him listed as a gentleman at 13 Northumberland Road

Also Victualler Barrel Inn 67 Broad Lane.

1 hour ago, neddy said:

1871 Directory has him listed as a gentleman at 13 Northumberland Road

Also Victualler Barrel Inn 67 Broad Lane.

Right,thank you thought we had another mystery pub!!