A request for the dog-walkers

RichardB

John Watts, Lambert Street - updated photographs requested. It's been there a long time and was under refurbishment ....

John Watts - As it is today.

Again only taken with my mobile. They'll do 'till someone takes some better ones.

I must start carrying a proper camera about with me.

John Watts - As it is today.

Again only taken with my mobile. They'll do 'till someone takes some better ones.

I must start carrying a proper camera about with me.

Thanks for the pictures, looking much better than in 2007 - all flaking paint and plaster and scaffolding everywhere. Still quite impossible to get back far enough to take a "normal" picture !

You could probably get onto the car park opposite to get a better set of pictures. My problem at the time was that parked cars and vans were in the way. I'll have a try next time I'm down there.

What can we learn from the excavation and building recording of cutlery sites in Sheffield?
By JAMES SYMONDS, RICHARD O’NEILL and OLIVER JESSOP

Extract:

"The John Watts Works on Lambert Street was one of the last surviving complexes to retain structural elements of three centuries of continuous expansion and alteration.

Five separate property divisions were originally developed as independent sites and gradually amalgamated by John Watts and his son during the 19th and early 20th centuries. Two of the earliest structures on the site were stone-roofed cottages which had been incorporated into later buildings, being completely concealed by the addition of a suspended floor and workshop range above the roof line at second-floor level (Fig.3). The workshops and machine halls contained evidence for the whole manufacturing process, from the packaging rooms, safes and cupboards in the accounts office, benches, machines and extensive line shafting in the workshops and buffing rooms, all the machinery still in place."