Piper Houses

dunsbyowl1867

is this Hunfield House

its mentioned in this picture as being to the extreme right.

I think the buildings in your screen capture are the old outbuildings to Norwood Grange. The Hunfield House mentioned on the Picture Sheffield photo was on the opposite side of Longley lane at the back of the Piper Houses. Do you have any other references to Hunfield House ? That photo is the only mention I've seen of the name.

Marked with an arrow on this map...

I think the buildings in your screen capture are the old outbuildings to Norwood Grange. The Hunfield House mentioned on the Picture Sheffield photo was on the opposite side of Longley lane at the back of the Piper Houses. Do you have any other references to Hunfield House ? That photo is the only mention I've seen of the name.

Hi Gramps - I have something on Hunfield House at home - will post later ;-)

As Gramps says the outbuildings to Norwood Grange - I am searching for Hunfield!

Hunfield - souns like something you should know Gramps

When the Mountenay estate at Shirecliffe was sold back to the manor in 1572, one close or enclosed field was retained by a member of the Mountenay family. The close was known as Hunfield - Hun being a personal name.

The close ia the site of Piper Houses in 1575 it was sold to Nicholas Slatter and he built a house called Hunfield House on the site built between 1579 and 1604. ;-)

Hunfield - souns like something you should know Gramps

When the Mountenay estate at Shirecliffe was sold back to the manor in 1572, one close or enclosed field was retained by a member of the Mountenay family. The close was known as Hunfield - Hun being a personal name.

The close ia the site of Piper Houses in 1575 it was sold to Nicholas Slatter and he built a house called Hunfield House on the site built between 1579 and 1604. ;-)

Thanks muchly....can I ask where you found that info ? Save me a lot of digging he he

Thanks muchly....can I ask where you found that info ? Save me a lot of digging he he

A booklet name something like "A History of the Brightside Bierlow before the Industrial Revolution"

Guest Gramps

A booklet name something like "A History of the Brightside Bierlow before the Industrial Revolution"

You mean this..?

I'd forgotten I had that !! Must get round to listing my books. Or perhaps we should have a sticky thread here on the forum for a bibliography of books about Sheffield ?

You mean this..?

'd forgotten I had that !! Must get round to listing my books. Or perhaps we should have a sticky thread here on the forum for a bibliography of books about Sheffield ?

Yes Gramps thats the one and I think a bibliography would be a good idea.

Guest Falls

Hi,

Is this still in print? Most of my mother's family grew up in the area.

Regards

Hi,

Is this still in print? Most of my mother's family grew up in the area.

Regards

No I don't think so Falls - you can sometime find it on ebay or on the Abebooks site.

best wishes