Queens Tower

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Built for the local cutler Samuel Roberts and completed in 1839. Designed by Woodhead & Hurst. Built in the Tudor style with Battlements and Turrets, as a tribute to Mary Queen of Scots. Grounds designed by Robert Marnock with walls & a window from Manor Lodge, one time prison of Mary.

From the Great War we have Lieut. Eric S. Roberts, he served with the B.E.F. in France.

This is one of his books.

This you can read on i think Eric Youles web pages? I just cant remember now!

He wrote another book but for the life of me i cant remember the title!! I know it had a yellow dust jacket though!

Another book about the Roberts family is-

Roberts, Peter & others.

'Some Memorials of the family of Roberts of Queens Tower, Sheffield 1971'

This you'll find on antiQbook and other book sites for about £70.00.

But you can read it here for nowt'!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&...result#PPA64,M1

I thought this would be okay to kick off the Godfrey map section? Please advise.

Dean.

Just to correct you Trefcon, Mary was NOT a prisioner in Sheffield Manor, that's a myth. Mary had requested to be placed under protection. But like many under "protective custody" she thought she was a prisoner. The fact she is called Queen Mary is all to do with the fact the English classed her as a Queen, when in fact she was no longer Queen of anything. Especially when James was crowned King of Scotland.

I think I saw a reference somewhere to the fact that Queen's Tower was based on Alton Towers. And looking at the two you can see why. Alton was built only a few years before Queen's was built.

If she thought she was a prisoner then that was her prison.

No it wasn't. It is the same as if you were placed in a safe house by the police, after being threatend by a criminal when you are a witness for the prosecution. The safe house would not be a prison.

The nearest you could get today would be if Queen Elizabeth 2 was deposed by a radical party, which most of the rest of the world thought was wrong for that party to do, so the Queen escapes to the USA and seeks the help of the US president. Who cannot be seen to take sides. Plus has anti-royal factions in the USA. He then puts her in a MASSIVE house under protection, while she then says she's a prisoner and plots with terroist bodies to overthrow the president.

Of course the Roberts family believed that she was a prisoner, due to the poplular surport Mary Stuart had then and still has. But once you dig deep into Mary's life she becomes a very nasty person who wasn't even a good Catholic. Only if she could use it to her advantage was her so called religion important to her. Weren't the Roberts also Catholic? I think that's why they felt sorry for her.

Guest Trefcon

The best thing you can do Dude is write the book, dispell all the 'Myths' with your sources, and put the record straight once and for all.

I still maintain that if she 'THOUGHT' she was a prisoner then that was her 'metaphorical' prison.

No, no no I'm not getting embroiled in this again, hence original content deleted! <_<

However, you repeatedly insist on 'correcting' anyone who refers to Mary's imprisonment, but your objection is based on your opinion formed by your interpretation of the evidence. That does not make it fact. I cannot recall you offering the evidence on which you base your view, so I look forward to reading your blog! ;-)

I still maintain that if she 'THOUGHT' she was a prisoner then that was her 'metaphorical' prison.

I work in a school, and it feels like a prison to me, - so it is my prison.

I am not the only member of staff that feels like this, - quite a large proportion of us do.

The school is completely surrounded by a security fence and is covered by security cameras as many modern, new build PFI schools are.

But I have noticed that it is built on relatively soft land and in the school gym is a large vaulting horse which gets used outdoors in the warmer summer months.

Now, with a couple of spades and a few metres of narrow gauge railway line, there are some nice woods just down beyond the field.

I wonder how many of us we could get out?

I work in a school, and it feels like a prison to me, - so it is my prison.

I am not the only member of staff that feels like this, - quite a large proportion of us do.

The school is completely surrounded by a security fence and is covered by security cameras as many modern, new build PFI schools are.

But I have noticed that it is built on relatively soft land and in the school gym is a large vaulting horse which gets used outdoors in the warmer summer months.

Now, with a couple of spades and a few metres of narrow gauge railway line, there are some nice woods just down beyond the field.

I wonder how many of us we could get out?

Don't forget the baggy trousers for getting rid of the spoil Dave!

Don't forget the baggy trousers for getting rid of the spoil Dave!

My eyesight is getting worse but I am sure I could forge us a few bus passes for when we make the break, and I can pick up a pin I have carefully placed on the floor to show my eyes are not that bad.