Sanitation

vox

I just came across this whilst looking through some old papers belonging to an aged relative. She was a member of some historical society or other many years ago. There is quite a pile of stuff relating to Sheffield, mostly photocopies of old maps and documents. All in a bit of a jumble I'm afraid, so if I'll ever get round to sorting them remains to be seen. However this caught my eye as being a bit of an insight into living conditions for some poor folk.

I've just attached a scan but I can't see where it is in preview. Hopefully it will be there when I post.

I've just attached a scan but I can't see where it is in preview. Hopefully it will be there when I post.

Quite toe-curling conditions some of our ancestors had to live in. That document looks like a parliamentary report - is there any note about the source ?

Look forward to more of your scans :)

Edit: found it in Hansard 1848 - http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons...ions#column_402

The attached cutting is from Illustrated Police News dated 3rd February 1877 concerning a "Fever Den in Crookesmoor". The phrase "toe-curling is very apt!