10 replies to this topic

#1 DaveNightingale

DaveNightingale

Sheffield History New

• Sheffield History Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Can anybody remember or have any photos of Fannys,the club on the edge of town at Owler Bar?

We got talking about it in the pub at the weekend and were trying to remember what it was like..

Anybody want to start the ball rolling?

#2 SapperTaylor

SapperTaylor

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Can anybody remember or have any photos of Fannys,the club on the edge of town at Owler Bar?

We got talking about it in the pub at the weekend and were trying to remember what it was like..

Haven't got a clue Dave. It was usually dark outside and even darker in Fanny's plus by the time I got there I didn't even know my own name never mind clocking the decor. :blink: I reckon I knew you at the time? Your name rings a bell! My brother Andy (Drew) Paul Salisbury (RIP), Al Jowet, Vicky Parsons, Adrian (Ady). Other clubs - Tramps, Genevive, Baileys, Josephines, Crazy Daisy. There was another club, no idea of it's name now in a residential area of Netheredge ...Any of this ring any bells???

Cheers
Chris

#3 Noise Heat Power

Noise Heat Power

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

There was another club, no idea of it's name now in a residential area of Netheredge ...Any of this ring any bells???

There was a club down towards the bottom of Nether Edge Road - near the Byron pub - called Turn Ups.

Is that the one? It closed in the late seventies I think and the site was redeveloped as flats.

#4 Zeb

Zeb

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

So where was michelles then?..that was heading in that direction

#5 Fred

Fred

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

I remember it well. Can you remember when an episode of Tiswas was shot there in the early 80s?

#6 Waterside Echo

Waterside Echo

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:46 AM

I remember it well. Can you remember when an episode of Tiswas was shot there in the early 80s?

As a coach driver in the 80`s I have very fond memories of that aptly named venue.

#7 HUGH TUBE

HUGH TUBE

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Went once, maybe twice in the late '80s with my girlfriend of the day, sister & boyfriend and my parents.

My Dad was up on the dance floor jiving with some girl to Time Warp. Crazy alcohol fueled evening.

#8 dragoncd

dragoncd

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi everyone I'm new to this site and may I say loving it as it brings back so many memories of living in Sheffield. Fanny's nightclub at Owler Bar was originally called Five Ways motel and night club. I know as I worked there when it was Five Ways and then when it changed to Fanny's. I was there up until 1987. The owners also had a club in Nether Edge called Turn Ups at which I also worked and that was originally Nether Edge Hall. Not sure what year it closed down and I believe is now flats.

#9 micklee

micklee

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

I was the Manager at Fiveways from about April to November 1976. The owners were Les and Betty Vickers. Had some great nights, thoroughly enjoyed my time there. DJS were Stuart Burnham and Wayne Chadwick.  What happened to Les and Betty.?

#10 James Goodenough

James Goodenough

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Does anyone remember a bar called Mr Kites next to Devonshire Green? I think it closed in the early 90's.

Someone told me that it was owned by a son or grandson of one of the notorious Moonie brothers, who were 1930s Sheffield gangsters.

Anyone else heard if this is true and where/who any current family are?

#11 docmel

docmel

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Does anyone remember a bar called Mr Kites next to Devonshire Green? I think it closed in the early 90's.

Someone told me that it was owned by a son or grandson of one of the notorious Moonie brothers, who were 1930s Sheffield gangsters.

Anyone else heard if this is true and where/who any current family are?

Well it was owned at one time by Brian Mooney - this was back in the late 70's early 80's - what relation he was to the infamous Mooney gang I don't know - I heard he passed away about 6 years ago