British Rail - Stationary Steam Engine

Stuart0742

I am sure SteveHB will remember this.

Before the B & C Funeral Directors building was built on Suffolk Road, there was a railway building on the same site, which contained a large stationary steam engine.

Does anybody remember this and more importantly what happened to the engine, was it destroyed when the building was demolished in the late 60's.

Don't remember that but there were steam engines in Sheffield Midland one Saturday morning about 2 months ago. Couldn't see what they were exactly because I was on a bus and the wall was in the way. kinda looked like Black 5s. Don't forget the water tower was still there until about 8 years ago and there's still the old crew building at the north end of platform 8. The old LNER buildings still exist at Wadsley Bridge where the coal merchant is.

How do, Stuart .. sorry but just came across your post,

Indeed I do remember that engine very well, it was housed in a building on the bottom end of Fornham Street, next to the British Rail yard so I would say that it was part of The Midland Station .

Thinking back to what I/wee saw in that building I would say that it was a 'Beam engine' I seem to think that there was a 'turntable' very near by in the rail yard, so perhaps the engine was used to rotate that?

My Uncle worked as a Shunter on the Midland Station, so as a kid I did get to see areas of the station that others never saw.

Pleasant memories,

Steve. :-)

How do, Stuart .. sorry but just came across your post,

Indeed I do remember that engine very well, it was housed in a building on the bottom end of Fornham Street, next to the British Rail yard so I would say that it was part of The Midland Station .

Thinking back to what I/wee saw in that building I would say that it was a 'Beam engine' I seem to think that there was a 'turntable' very near by in the rail yard, so perhaps the engine was used to rotate that?

My Uncle worked as a Shunter on the Midland Station, so as a kid I did get to see areas of the station that others never saw.

Pleasant memories,

Steve. :-)

Thanks Steve

I remember the yard, it is still there but in a reduced size, just a re-fueling area now.

The whole area was a mecca for us boys to explore in those days.

Remember the urinals at the bottom of Shrewsbury Road, where you could climb up through and onto a small grass banking overlooking the railway line

Thanks Steve

I remember the yard, it is still there but in a reduced size, just a re-fueling area now.

Remember the urinals at the bottom of Shrewsbury Road, where you could climb up through and onto a small grass banking overlooking the railway line

Bringing this bavk to the front, I still looking for information on the Steam engine, post#1

Thanks Steve

I came across this photo that I took in 1965 from the bottom of St Mary's Road,

on the L/H side is part of the Midland Station goods yard along with a couple

of the large houses that once stood at the bottom of Clay Wood.

The urinals at the bottom of Shrewsbury Road can be seen just left of the light coloured car.

Aunty Edna is looking very dolled-up with her pearls & jewelry on,

it also says on the back of the photo ..

"going out"

I don't know where we were going to!

Is that the same yard where the, I think it was called "Motor Rail", Loaded your car ready for your trip to Scotland and other places?

jiginc

PS Have also just found out that it was called the Pond Street Station when first built.

Is that the same yard where the, I think it was called "Motor Rail", Loaded your car ready for your trip to Scotland and other places?

jiginc

PS Have also just found out that it was called the Pond Street Station when first built.

Yes that's the place jiginc, just out of shot in Steve's photo is the gate to the goods yard, as you went in the gates to the right were a number of covered sidings, you can just see the canopy in Steve's photo. To the left were 2 sidings, this is where the Motorail wagons were loaded.

The Motorail sidings are still in use to this day as a fuelling point and the other sidings are used for storage, all be it minus the roof.

The urinals at the bottom of Shrewsbury Road can be seen just left of the light coloured car.

"going out"

I have posted this picture before, but isn't aunty Edna stood somewhere near where I was when I took this picture 5 years later in 1970?

"going out"

Do I remember a large horse trough or drinking fountain which used to be somewhere to the right of where your aunty is standing (her left that is)?

Do I remember a large horse trough or drinking fountain which used to be somewhere to the right of where your aunty is standing (her left that is)?

Not that I can remember vox,

but that don't mean a lot.

Yes that's the place jiginc, just out of shot in Steve's photo is the gate to the goods yard, as you went in the gates to the right were a number of covered sidings, you can just see the canopy in Steve's photo. To the left were 2 sidings, this is where the Motorail wagons were loaded.

The Motorail sidings are still in use to this day as a fuelling point and the other sidings are used for storage, all be it minus the roof.

Thanks Stuart0742. May be someone will come up with the "new" idea of motorail in years to come!! Mind they are now looking to put trucks on waggons.

jiginc

Thanks Stuart0742. May be someone will come up with the "new" idea of motorail in years to come!! Mind they are now looking to put trucks on waggons.

jiginc

Until this current recession the French used to run a motorail service from Calais to the South of France, they have just announced this will not run in 2010.

Until this current recession the French used to run a motorail service from Calais to the South of France, they have just announced this will not run in 2010.

Or have they just announced, -

Le service auto / train de Calais au sud de la France ne fonctionnera pas en 2010

Lets see what a mess Yahoo Babelfish can make of retranslating that back into English ;-)

Or have they just announced, -

Le service auto / train de Calais au sud de la France ne fonctionnera pas en 2010

Lets see what a mess Yahoo Babelfish can make of retranslating that back into English ;-)

"The service car/train of Calais in the south of France will not function in 2010" there you go Dave

"The service car/train of Calais in the south of France will not function in 2010" there you go Dave

That's not what I gave it to translate :angry:

It should be "the motorail service from Calais to the south of France will not run in 2010"

Looks like the translation software has failed again :(