Tell Me About This Building?

bensonhedges

I always assumed it to have been the caretaker's or head-teacher's residence.

Looking at it now, it seems not to have been a detached house, but rather an end terrace.

Right on the school entrance though, so it could have been associated with the school, which may explain it's survival when the rest were demolished.

229, Shoreham Street

I thought everybody knew that this was a school caretakers house and eventually someone working for the maintainence dept lived there, nothing unusual about the house really.

I am not so sure that it is that simple. Some of the buildings there are of a works not a school,and looking at them are much earlier looking at the stonework and wondered if an earlier works entrance taken over when they built the school?

I thought everybody knew that this was a school caretakers house and eventually someone working for the maintainence dept lived there, nothing unusual about the house really.

Obviously not, or I wouldn't have asked :)

You wouldn't happen to have that same era map, but showing Clough Bank, off Edmund Road at the end of Cherry Street, would you please?

I'll send you a pm (message).

Just a theory, but I think it may have been built as a detached house and soon afterwards it was joined onto by the subsequent terrace.

My reasons:

1/ The coping stones on each gable look to be original. The one at the chimney end is not something you would put on a row of level terrace houses. This suggests that the roof was not continuous.

2/ The building has a slightly different footprint to the rest of the row. (Being wider and less deep) This is apparent on the 1903 map as well as this one below.

3/ It seems to have it's own chimney, which looks to be "all round" stone above the roof line. If it was part of a terrace, with the chimney in that position, it would almost certainly have shared the chimney stack with the house next door.

Could just be the ramblings of an old man though. :blink: